Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calls go straight to Voicemail

CDavies2
2: Seeker

I have a Sony Z1 Compact phone and am currently finding that all my incoming calls go straight to voicemail without the phone ringing.  I then get a message advising me of the missed call! 

I'm not a proficient smartphone user, so may have inadvertently set it up this way, but I have no idea how to undo it!  All help greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's possible you've set it up for divert immediate or, perhaps more likely, that you've put it into Silent mode.  The easiest way to clear the former is to dial 1210 [send] which will turn voicemail off.   Then call your number - does the phone ring?  If not, it's probably in silent mode.  You should be able to change that via the quick settings.  Pull down the notification blind and there should be a button for them at the top.  There are usually three (toggling) options - ring, vibrate and silent.   Just press the button until the correct one appears (the icon should be self-explanatory).

If that sorts it, dial 1211 [send] to turn voicemail back on.

Other things to look at would be the ringtone and the ringer volume, both accessible in the main Settings menu.

I dialled 1210 and got a lovely lady telling me my voicemail was now switched off, but when I then rang my number from another line, lo and behold it went directly to voicemail anyway!

That's confusing.

NathanJT
4: Newbie

I get this all the time! Seems to depend on what part of my city (Derby) I'm in at the time but basically your phone won't take calls but is happy to let you know you have a new voicemail? It's infuriating and I've raised it several times with Vodafone in store, to nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders. It happens with my wife as well and this is across multiple different phones for both of us so it's not device related. It's not the SIM either because we both recently bought new phones (Z3 and a Z3c) and are now on nano sims, still happens!

That and the abysmal coverage near home necessitating a suresignal and I doubt we'll be staying with Voda for much longer.

I'll try again when I'm out and about - maybe it only happens at home?

Personally I think it's specific cell towers, almost if there's network saturation. I get the issue at work more often which would make sense as Pride Park is a fairly densely populated business area. Driving elsewhere in the city (and thus onto a different tower) the phone suddenly works perfectly.

hrym

Yes, it'll be down to network coverage.   You can look at a map here, but remember that it's theoretical and doesn't take account of reflection and absorbtion by specific buildings.

andrewbur5

I have attempted that but then get the message that the phone is unavailable

I have completed a full factory reset and it doesnt solve the issue.

As a thought, I put the sim into a different phone and it worked fine, I was able to receive calls and texts and then when I put it back into teh Xperia, it worked for a bit and then when I had the provisioning message appear, selected it and nothing comes through.

Any ideas please?

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@andrewbur5 Does this happen in a specific location or everywhere?

If it only happens in certain locations - please let us know where.

Hello, thank you for the reply.

it has happened wherever I have been with my phone not one specific place

i did pop to the shop near my work and it now appears to work fine as long as I'm not on 4G.

Do you know what might cause this to happen please?