You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
kathry33

Can not send text messages

Hi,

Just got a Sony Ericsson Neo. I can receive text messages, but I can't send them.

Had a bit of a google and found the problem, I don't have a number in my SMSC box.

I followed the steps:

1. open dialler and dial *#*#4636#*#*

2. Select phone information from the menu that appears

3. Scroll down to SMSC

4. Enter the SMS centre number, which for vodafone uk is +447785016005

5. Select Update

But all I get is update error.

Am I using the wrong number?

I have text messages from Vodafone to set my MMS and Internet settings, but not my SMS.

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 4 (19,449 Views)
kathry33

Re: Can not send text messages

Or has anyone else got a Neo on Vodafone and can follow up to step 3 and tell me what is in there SMSC box, ta

Message 2 of 4 (19,367 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

[ Edited ]

Hi kathry33

Welcome to the eForum!

I can confirm that is the right SMSC (or message centre number as otherwise known as)   Have you tried putting the number in without the +44, so it becomes 07785016005? 

I don’t have access to a Neo at the moment however I have checked on a few Sony Ericsson phones and can confirm this is the correct number. 

Have you tried the SIM in a different phone to make sure it’s not the phone or the SIM causing this error? I would also suggest a factory reset to see if this resolves the problem. 

To factory reset:

Press the Menu key

Tap Settings
Scroll down to and tap Privacy
Tap Factory data reset
Tap the Erase SD card check box
Tap Reset phone
Tap Erase everything.

Thanks

BenJ
eForum Team 

Message 3 of 4 (19,344 Views)
Markus-SEAnswer

Hey!

The reason for why we've hidden the information about the SMS centre number is because you should not have to enter this yourself in this phone model (or any other Android phone from us.).
This information should be read from the network via the SIM card so you never should have to worry about it yourself.

I suggest you ask one of your friends who's also using Vodafone to borrow his/her SIM card and then put it in your phone and try to send a text message. If this won't help I suggest you contact the UK support office on phone number 08705 237 237. They should be able to provide some more thorough troubleshooting and further guidance.

Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

-Markus
Sony Ericsson Answers Team
Message 4 of 4 (19,295 Views)