Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FAULY TOUCHSCREEN - £204 REPAIR?!

thetain01
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I took out a Sony Xperia Z3 around October, and I love it. One day the touchscreen stopped working, so initially I assumed this was a software fault as I had read online this was common, so I did a full system reboot but nothing worked.

I took the phone to my local store and it was sent away. When the repair centre got in touch, they told me it was a crack under the main screen on an LCD display (that was not visible until the engineer took it apart) and it cost me £204 to repair! I didn't have insurance as I didn't imagine anything that could have gone wrong wouldnt be covered in the warranty - I was wrong!

Becuase this crack was not covered in a warranty I had to pay - surely this cant be right?! A crack that me, nor 2 people who worked in my local store could see? The phone was not dropped when it stopped working so I;m confused as to how this 'crack' appeared.

I'm just very disheartened by this, and the staff I spoke to from the call centre told me misleading information about taking insurance to get it fixed, then they said I couldnt do it etc. Just a lot of money to pay for a phone that isnt even 4 months old!

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

If there's any evidence of damage (even a small scratch in some cases), Vodafone, as a 3rd party repairer, are not allowed by any of the manufacturers to do a warranty repair.

Get the phone back and contact Sony.   They'll take a more pragmatic view and, if the crack clearly isn't the cause of the failure, will probbaly do the work at no charge.   If the crack is the problem, then the work'll be chargeable, I'm afraid.

You can't take out insurance and make a retrospective claim, I'm afraid - it'll only work for something that's happened after the cover starts.

Hartluck
12: Established
12: Established

I would think damage could have happened due to internal fault (heat etc) or engineer has cracked when he opened device. Neither would invalidate warranty. 

Study the cases in this forum & other consumer focused sites regarding Vodafone purposely invalidating warranty on devices for scratches/dints totally unrelated to fault & in contradiction to T&Cs.

Ask them to explain how you are responsible for damage sustained & if no appropriate explanation provided advise you require repair or replacement in accordance with T&Cs:

9.4    Where Equipment supplied to Customer by Vodafone becomes faulty for reasons other than through Customer’s acts, omissions or misuse within the manufacturer’s warranty period, Customer shall return such Equipment to Vodafone at Vodafone’s cost and Vodafone shall repair or replace the Equipment in accordance with Vodafone’s Recovery Policy.  Any out-of-warranty repairs shall be at Vodafone’s Standard List Price.

~~Clear eyes - Full Hart - Can't lose~~
“As wars come and go, my soldier stays eternal”

My comments represent my opinion which is not affiliated or sponsored in any way. 

hrym

Or, to save time, just go direct to Sony.