You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
ianthetaxman

Latest X10 update - NOT GINGER BREAD!

There's been some chat about an update being rolled out fro X10 users, which is supposed to improve battery life amongst other things. Some users have reported getting the update, but it seems most haven't.

Does anyone know any more about this, and whether it is something being sent via VF or direct from SE?  Either way, I know not to hold my breath for either to act swiftly, and if history is anything to go by, the release will be in stages and will then be delayed by providers doing their bit to it etc. etc.  -  does anyone has any more info on what this update is and when it is supposed to be rolled out?

It's been two and a half months since we were told about the 2.3 update and still nothing from SE or VF to confirm dates.  Still looks like VF and SE don't care too much for existing customers once they've signed up, as this latest idea of an "update" appears to prove, as there is no official annoucement anywhere that I can see.

What's going on?

Message 1 of 9 (2,448 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Re: Latest X10 update - NOT GINGER BREAD!

Hi ianthetaxman

I understand why you want a firmware update, as they normally show an improvement on the phone.

Here is all of the information around firmware, which will cover most questions.

Martin

eForum Team

Message 2 of 9 (2,420 Views)
ianthetaxman

Hi Martin

Thanks for the link but I've seen this before, and it doesn't actually answer the issue.  What I'm really wanting is someone from VF to speak to SE and find out what's happening and then report back to VF customers.  Perhaps this is too much to expect, I don't know? 

My concern is that SE are completely silent on the small update and the 2.3 android update, despite there being thousands of comments posted all over the SE website and other independant sites.  With no official word from SE or VF, it just makes everything look very poor and a bit amaturish.

So, I understand what the info in the link is saying.  What I'm saying is that the info given is just a very "vanilla" and general response when in all probability, VF is fully aware of the growing bad feeling it gets from it's customer by delaying the firmware updates BUT doesn't want to take any action as it is still selling phones despite this apparent blip in one aspect of it's global corporate structure.  Never the less, VF will continue to bolt on the VF bits and pieces even though no-one uses them because someone in a marketing department says this really does "attract customers and makes them like their kit even more blah blah blah", and the delays will continue because like the rest of the VF customer base, you have us once we've signed up so there's not a lot we can do about any of this. 

Shame, really.  

Message 3 of 9 (2,401 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi ianthetaxman

Thanks for your post here. I understand how frustrating this situation is for you.

However, the only information we have is contained within the link you have seen. We do not have any more information to give with regards to firmware updates and any possible future ones.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 4 of 9 (2,377 Views)
MTL
Rank 8: Helper II
MTL

As far as I can see on the SE forums (which are currently having issues, admittedly), the update to 2.3.3 is

meant to be going live for unbranded "sometime in late Q2 / early Q3"

Since we're still in late Q2, the unbranded release could still be up to 6/7 weeks away, then you need to add

a couple of weeks for the VF customisation...

Message 5 of 9 (2,348 Views)
ianthetaxman

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate VF's position, but I'd have just thought it would have made sense to SE and VF to speak to one another once and a while and not run from the critics, which is what seems to happen, so they could report to their customers on a more frequent basis. 

I accept VF is in the hands of SE as far as the updates are concerned, but it's very sad when SE won't issue an updated statement and won't even comment one way or another.  What are we supposed to do, sit and wait like the last time for the delays to start.  

It seems very odd to me that the smaller update rumoured on the internet has apparently passed the service providers and SE by - how so?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you, rather the large corporation attitude that seems to becoming so popular these days. 

Message 6 of 9 (2,345 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Sony Ericsson got, and rightly deserved, an awful lot of flak for the way they treated their X10 customers. Since then they have changed their policy and are actually one of the favourable Android suppliers now, after they announced that all future phones will have an unlocked bootoader. Even the ones they had released like the Arc will get their bootloader unlocked via their own official site.

Also they heard our cries nice and loud and will be officially bringing Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread to the X10 in August. I've seen a video of an early build running on it and you'll enjoy the Arc launcher on there and the increased performance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 7 of 9 (2,276 Views)
ianthetaxman

Yup, seen the video too and read the piece by Rikard on the SE blog.  Whatever the earlier smaller update was this seems to have passed the rest of the world by, so will just have to wait for August now to see what 2.3 will bring.  Doesn't look like 16 million colours and multi-touch are coming but, hey, despite previous statements from SE and all the rest of it, it's not a games console, it's a phone.  I'm sure there will be other who vehemently disagree but we're all entitled to an opinion.  Just hoping the perfomance in general is a lot better.... 

Message 8 of 9 (2,263 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

2.3 will improve things on the X10. It will include JIT which increases the performance and hopefully SE will have optimised the software a little more to be lighter on resources. You'll get a new baseband (.67) as well which will increase signal efficiency and the Xperia Arc launcher.

Multi touch is also enabled throughout the OS but it won't be as efficient as on other phones (mainly due to the touch screen itself).

So if its anything like the custom builds we have atm on the X10, it should be a decent step up for those who are still on stock.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 9 of 9 (2,260 Views)