Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving numbers to a new phone.

jaygrim
4: Newbie

Hope someone can help. I am getting a new phone today and currently have a iphone5. I was wondering if it store my contacts on the current sim or is there something I need to do? Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

If you are getting another Apple then iCloud should do all that for you.

If it is another make/model, let us know what it is going to be.

Something else to keep in mind, if it isn't an apple, remember to turn iMessage off before swapping, otherwise you won't get any txts from apple users as iMessage will hijack them

Oh yeah, sorry it's not a Apple phone.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

HI there

You would probably be best not storing your contacts on your SIM card.  Most modern phones have more data fields than a SIM card is designed to support. Are you getting your new handset from a Vodafone store?  If so, ask them about the Red Box service that can be used to transfer your data from one handset to another. 

If you aren't getting the phone from a Vodafone Store, you can probably use bluetooth to move your contacts from one handset to another.

PWIAC

It's getting delivered today, going to a store isn't really an option.

grolschuk

In that case, create a google account (which you will need for your andriod handset).

Add the google account to your iPhone email accounts, and set it to sync contacts.

Then on your new phone the same account can pull the sync'd contacts over to the new handset.

jaygrim
Thanks, actually I think there is an app on the Sony Z2 that transfers everything I think.

grolschuk

Yes there is :Smiling:

You should have said you were getting a Z2 at the start and this thread would be a lot shorter :Smiling:

The point still stands about turning imessage off though.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If the Sony app doesn't work for some reason, you'd still have the option of syncing your iPhone contacts with Google and them watching them appear on the Z2 as if by magic*.  Personally, I think this is the simpler option, but I'm familiar with Android/Google and know the processes.

Once you've got your contacts on the new phone, there's an option to export them to internal storage or an sd card if you have one.   The resulting file can then be transferred to another device as an extra backup - either via Google Drive or simply as an email attachment to yourself.

* You'd need to use wifi for this, obviously, as the iPhone will no longer have a funcioning SIM in it.

jaygrim
Thanks guys.