Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone storage

sebwilson1998
1: Seeker
I have an 8GB Sony Xperia M4 Aqua but I have ran out of space on it. I can no longer update any of my apps or install new ones. For this reason I bought a 32GB micro SD card hoping that it would act as an extension. However, my phone only allowed me to transfer 3 apps onto the card, despite having 28GB of free space left on it. I was wondering if you knew of a solution, or if I could bring my phone into one of your stores and someone could take a look at it. I learned of a way to set the SD card as the default install location on the Internet, however my computer would not install all of the drivers to do it.
3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

In my experience it can be that only certain apps are allowed to be moved across which is defined by the phones specs / firmware. 

Unfortunatley 8Gb isn't a great amount of storage space when adding in apps , future os updates and the data we all collate. 

Have you looked at deleting calendar entries , text messages , emails and their attachments and notes etc and move music,Photos,Videos to the SD Card. 

Apps do not in essence take a lot of space up its their collated data they collect. 

Some phones allow this to be deleted or in my case as an iPhone owner delete the App and re download it. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw

Hi, as @BandOfBrothers has mentioned you cant move all apps to the SD card and 8GB is not a large amount of memory these days as some will be taken by the operating system too.

Recently I downloaded CCleaner from the play store, ran that and it cleared quite a bit from my phone, you could try something like that?

hrym

Just to add: I assume you've moved all your content (phosts, music) to the sd card?   You should be able to at least set the default storage for the camera to the card, too.

I have an elderly Samsung tablet with only 8gb of memory and, even with all content on a card, I have to be selective about what apps I put on it.

The downside of moving apps to a card can be that they become slower to respond and are completely unavailable if the card is removed.