Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Portable WiFi hotspot on Sony Z1 Compact limited connectivity

azznsuz
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I have a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, I have just recently changed to this device and love it!!

The problem I have which never happend on my previous phone is the following:

When using my portable wifi hotspot on my phone I always keep getting limited connectivity, so I cannot browse the internet on my laptop.

It is running windows 8.1, my previous mobile never had this issue

Please can you help as I need this for my work, I also tried USB Tethering same thing limited connectivity

Need this fixed as soon as possible :smileyfrustrated:

I'll look forward to your reply 

Arron

11 REPLIES 11

hrym
17: Community Champion

When you say limited connectivity, how does this manifest itself?

63johnw
Hi. Are you PAYG or monthly contract? Hotspots and tethering are not allowed on PAYG.

azznsuz
I am on a monthly contract, my previous mobile was an Huawei never had this issue

azznsuz
The laptop connects to the WiFi hotspot from the Z1 but then says limited or no connectivity

Why is this not working?

I have a personal mobile through 3, switch on portable hotspot connect and bingo internet.

As usual I take it this is a stupid Vodafone issue

Is there actually a solution? I am not messing about with registry keys or going into msconfig.

There is absolutely no support for this no one seems to know.

Its not the handset nor is it the laptop, if I am wrong and it is the handset then trip back to vodafone

hrym

It's certainly an odd one.  Do you have another device that you can try to connect to the Z1 hotspot - your old Huawei, for instance?  That would help isolate where the problem is occurring.

I Googled "Android hotspot connection issue", which produces similar issues, though no clear solution.   This also led to "hotspot connection limited".   From a thread on Pcguide, I found this answer: "It was the laptop that somehow changed the setting to public network on that connection which restricted access, I deleted the connection, changed the name and password and started again with no problems. "   That might be worth a go.

Also this from Sonymobile: "So if you connect your phone to this computer using a cable tethering works? In that case i recommend that you check the IP-settings for your computers wireless network card. This is usually done from Control panel -> Network connections -> [properties for your WiFi-card] -> [properties for TCP/IPv4]. Here check that it's set to automatic IP and DNS."

Reply:" its works superbly after setting automatic ip and dns for IPv4 and IPv6".

- Yes, I did note that crucial detail about cable tethering working in this instance!

It might also be worth checking the mobile data connection settings on your phone.  It'll be under Settings|Mobile Data.   See what happens with different lock options - 3G only, 2/3G auto, 2/3/4G auto.

It might also be a security issue in different versions of Android (what versions are the Huawei and the Z1 running?) - can you troubleshoot the connection in Windows?

azznsuz
Hi thanks I'll give that a go.

Its Android 5.0 as far as I remember lollipop I think

Might be wrong could be 4.4

I'll try deleting the network and trying again

Thanks

azznsuz
Nope none of those helped 😞

hrym

Bother.   What about the data connection settings on the phone and troubleshooting from Windows (right click the wifi icon afaik)?

You can see what version of Android you're running by going into Setting|About Phone.  I'm just wondering whether it's something to do with security in Lollipop (Android 5), but not allowing a connection would seem a little extreme.  Some of the responses I saw on forums suggested it could be the driver at the laptop end and I suppose there's the small(ish) possibility of an incompatibility there.  It seems to be more likely to be soft- rather than hardware.

Come to that, any joy with connecting something else to the hotspot?   That would tend to point the issue at either the phone or the laptop.

Hi it is on 4.4.4

I have no other phone to test just my works HTC One M8 which is on three.

Like I said before it connects no problems but this Sonz Z1 just keeps coming up limited or no connectivity.

I called Vodafone who said factory reset the phone.......... did this lost data still not resolved 😞

So sad