Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rich Communications, joyn and Android 4.4.4

EdPearce
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just downloaded the latest Android version to my Sony Z1.  After the upgrade I kept getting a message telling me that I now had something called 'Rich Communications' and asking for a phone number. But gave no guidance as to what number it was after. I couldn't get rid of the message so I entered my own number.  I understand its to do with adding a feature to the Messaging App so you can now chat via the internet.   The Messaging App now has a tab called 'joyn', which allows you to start a 'chat' message but no way of adding any chat contacts.

Anyone got any idea of whats going on here?   And was I right to enter my own tele number?

13 REPLIES 13

JonWhitwell
1: Seeker

Hi Ed,

I think in this case it is genuine. (Have had to visit the Vodafone boards to find out).

But you should NEVER EVER enter your personal details to anything you are unsure of. Very easy to get phished that way. 

Best wishes

Jon 

Coehide
7: Helper
7: Helper
Got the same problem but with my z2 hopefully will here sonlmething soon not going to enter any details till then

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

DO NOT PUT YOUR NUMBER IN

see the HTC section its Vodafone Bloatware that takes over your default Messanger app and is run by a third party

they Hit HTC users last week

See

(link removed in accordance to House rules)

Its a app that is made to make money for Vodafone using up your data

But Vodafone as allways are staying Stumb as they have been rumbled

So Vodafone why is this beeing Forced on us

and do we need to use this to send a SMS ?

How do we remove this ?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

We've recently edited a post in this thread as it breached our house rules. Whilst we encourage conversation within the community, there are certain rules everyone must follow. This ensures the forum remains suitable for everyone, as well as being free from excess clutter.

The person whose post has been edited has been contacted privately.

If you're unfamiliar with the house rules, please take a minute to view them here.

Thanks,

Gemma

Here is what I did.  I installed HoverChat.  Just brilliant.  Make it the default.  Stop using the Messanger app with Rich communications crap.  I can be browing the web, and with hoverchat, the message hovers over the internet.  Actually I get a picture of the person who is messaging me if I have pics associated to contacts.  I touch it.  Message appears.  At this point if I am too busy...I swipe with finger and message 'leaves the page and returns to messaging app'.  Or I can immediately respond and send right there.  Usually can do that.  It is sooooo fast.  Plus, you can encrypt your message and if your friend has this app with encryption on, governments can't spy on you.  Also, you may just want 5 or 10 people to be able to 'interrupt' you while doing something else.  If that is the case, you can just select those people using hoverchat....as being people whose messages will appear when you are doing something else with your phone.

(I don't work for HoverChat.  I bought an xperia z3 in the U.S. and it was a 'vodafone.

Cheers,

Northern-dj

Why was the link removed ?? It did not breech house rules 
As this was the only link that give Un bios info on this app

Instead of removing and having a pop Gemma post some useful info as to what is going on 

People have no idea or is that Vodafone's new policy  now ??

I have started a thread in the lounge asking Vodafone for info main on this and how it's going to effect customers
As yet no comment from Vodafone and nothing constructive

63johnw
17: Community Champion

there is a FAQ's section here about the service, including how to disable.

Thanks for your suggestion 63johnw. I see the FAQs are about Vodafone's Message+.  

The thing is I don't have the Message+ app installed.   Just the standard Messaging app.

So I don't understand:

(a) why the new Android demanded a Rich Comm telephone number

(b) the standard Messaging app now has a joyn tab

hrym

The request for a phone number is an error, apparently, so you can ignore it - the app should pick it up automatically.   If you did enter one, it won't have done any harm and it isn't phishing.