Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rich Communications, joyn and Android 4.4.4

EdPearce
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just downloaded the latest Android version to my Sony Z1.  After the upgrade I kept getting a message telling me that I now had something called 'Rich Communications' and asking for a phone number. But gave no guidance as to what number it was after. I couldn't get rid of the message so I entered my own number.  I understand its to do with adding a feature to the Messaging App so you can now chat via the internet.   The Messaging App now has a tab called 'joyn', which allows you to start a 'chat' message but no way of adding any chat contacts.

Anyone got any idea of whats going on here?   And was I right to enter my own tele number?

13 REPLIES 13

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

Just to add to "hrym's" post, the JOYN tab is there in error. The new service is Message+ which is Vodafones own version of the Rich Communication Suite (RCS) which is based on the service by JOYN.

I would urge everyone to use the FEEDBACK link to help improve the service and get issues sorted out quickly...

TSD

Wink.gif

I have managed to remove Rich Communications and the JOYN tab.

I discover in Settings, under More…,   an entry for Rich Communications.  One of the options was ‘Disable’, which I selected.  Once done I couldn’t re-enable it again.  After I rebooted I found that Rich Communication had disappeared from the More.. entries, and the JOYN tab had gone from the Messaging App.

So as hrym and thesoupdragon say, it seems to be bug.  Thanks for you help.

[Update – did get the Rich Comms message once again asking for a tele number. I entered 0 and it’s now gone away again].

hrym

Thanks for that, @EdPearce , that's very helpful.

Nabs

EdPearce wrote:

The thing is I don't have the Message+ app installed.   Just the standard Messaging app.

It looks like Vodafone has been working with manufacturer to build the Message+ app into the stock messaging application. More info is available on the Vodafone Group Message+ page

EdPearce wrote:

(a) why the new Android demanded a Rich Comm telephone number

The application should have automatically picked up your phone number from the device. Why this hasn't happened is being looked into.

EdPearce wrote:

(b) the standard Messaging app now has a joyn tab

I assume the joyn tab will show the Message+ threads to keep the separate form the SMS threads. Without actually seeing it it's difficult to tell to be honest