You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Disco21

SE x10 Battery/Charging Help

Hi there

I have a major issue/problem of late (since last week) and wondered if anyone could help.

I have had a SEx10 since my last upgrade (approx Oct 10), and after the first ever charge the battery was only lasting a day.  I contact Customer Services within a week of receiving the initial handset and I was sent a new handset/battery.

All seemed fine between then and the beggining of February, whereby I was charging every 3-4days on regular use, and 2-3 on extra use/use of browsing etc..

Now, I am unable to charge via USB, and need to have the main plug/adaptor plugged into a mains socket for the phone to charge.  For the past week I have left the phone on charge over night, only for the battery to die within a matter of hours (18 hours max), hence having to charge again overnight. 

I have no excessive use to that of previously so can't understand what the issue can be?  Also the charging connector (within the phone itself) where you plug the mini usb end does not seem to be connecting properly. Previously, when plugged in, it would display as "charging" - Now, for the first 10-20mins it displays "battery less than 5%" and continues to do this until there is enough power to charge properly.  Also, it has a tendancy to shut itself down as well?

Please can you provide a solutiuon to this, possibly taking a look at the handset in question, as, having the handset for a 5 months max, I find this a very usual problem - Having said that, it is my SECOND handset in 5 months, and a second one, within a week of my last upgrade.

Message 1 of 10 (2,526 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Re: SE x10 Battery/Charging Help

[ Edited ]

Hi disco21,

To be honest from what you have written it does come down to 2 possibilities;

1. There are a lot of applications open on the handset that is causing the battery drain, does the phone have an application manager? If so one of the big benefits of Android is the ability to multi-task. However, there is no way to close APPS that you’ve used. Every application that remains open is using processor power, which in turn is draining your devices battery. This is where task management APPS such as Advanced Task Killer or TasKiller are useful. They should be used to close APPS that you’ve finished with, although make sure you don’t force close any processes used by Android.

This can be downloaded from the market place.

In regards difficulty in charging the device, this could either be a charger fault, handset connection fault or a battery fault.

Are you able to try another charger? Does this make a difference?

If not then the likelihood is that it is an issue with the handset or battery however you don't need to worry, this is all covered under the warranty of the device and can be repaired free of charge for you.

For more information on our repairs process, check out our repairs FAQ.

I would give this a go and let us know how you get on.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 10 (2,487 Views)
Disco21

Hi James

Thanks for your swift reply mate - A further update if you please: 

I charged my phone overnight (last night), and between leaving the house @ 7am this morning and arriving in work at 8:42am, the battery had completely died, leaving me without mobile communication all day (and i had outside meetings as well)

Can you please explain how this happened in the space of less than 2 hours. I do not have wi-fi on, i dont use bluetooth at all, and my backlight is set to a mimimum length of 15 seconds.  I do not do not use any task managements apps, and the only app I use is the calculator, perhaps once a week at most.   I upgraded to this phone from the Nokia 5800 but have found it quite disappointing, to reviews I have read, and recommendations made to me.

FYI,  I have also tried alternative usb cables in the past without resolution (but thanks for that suggestion), so can only think it can be a handset/connection fault? Can you please advise further.

The handset is currently on charge now, and will be left on over night to see how much (if any) battery it uses. I expect a very small usage as it will be on standy for a mimimum of 8 hours, however, I dread that come the morning it will be completely dead once more.

Regards
Dave

Message 3 of 10 (2,462 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for getting back to me with further details.

From what you have said it does sound like it can only be either a handset or battery fault that is causing rthe battery to drain so much and so quickly.

The next step would be to look at sending this for a free of charge repair to get an engineer to asses what is causing the fault and repair it.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 10 (2,426 Views)
ga66

Hi

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my X10 mini pro which I upgraded to5 days ago. From the very first day since I got he phone,  the battery power has never lasted 24 hours.  And this despite the fact that since getting this phone I've not made a voice call that lasted more than 5 minutes, only sent less than 10 txt messages, limited internet use, adjusted display and volume settings, which in effect has made the mobile phone experience utterly useless!

I'd like to know what's going on here. By the way, I charged the battery for about 16 hours when I first got it and since then have been charging it for almost 10 hours each night but still the problem persists. I do like the fact that the phone is very compact but I'm wondering now if I made the wrong choice with this one. Any thoughts pleeease.

Message 5 of 10 (2,403 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi ga66 and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. I appreciate how frustrating this must be and what a negative experience it is for your new phone.

As you only upgraded a few days ago you can return the phone for a like for like replacement due to what would appear to be, a fault with the device.

If you got the phone from a store just pop back to the store for an exchange. If it was from our customer service teams on the phone or via our website just give us a call on 191 and we'll arrange the exchange.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 6 of 10 (2,371 Views)
Disco21

Hi

If I was to return it for repair how would one go about a replacement handset whilst this is away for service? 

Would it be a like for like handset?

Message 7 of 10 (2,334 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Hi Disco21,

When you send your handset away for repair through a store, you can have a loan phone off us if you have Cover Me insurance. It is unlikely that it will be the same handset that you have sent away, as the loan phones available will vary from store to store.

You can find more information about our repairs process in our Popular Questions Thread

Woody

eForum Team.

Message 8 of 10 (2,307 Views)
Disco21

I have no insurance what so ever, but the phone is only 5 months old (max).   Its a fault with the phone and thefore should be covered under the first year standard warranty!

Can I not choose to send via postal repair?

Message 9 of 10 (2,300 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Disco21

Thanks for your post here.

If its a manufacturing fault then yes it will be covered by the warranty. Check our Vodafone Repairs thread for information on how to get your phone repaired (Including postal repair)

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 10 of 10 (2,283 Views)