cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sony Experia Z3 Compact - anyone had issues with it resetting itself to factory settings?

nikkiw70
1: Seeker

I've had my phone for 9 months. This week it reset itself to factory settings on its own for the 3rd time since I've had it. One minute it's fine, next minute it resets itself & wipes everything from phone & SD card. Nothing left. Vodafone seem ignorant of this issue and want me to return it to the engineers (again) to see if it's a manufacturer fault. That means being without a phone (again) for 10 days whilst they don't fix it (again). However, having googled the issue I find I am not alone - it is a very common problem and most definitely a Sony one. You can see the numerous trails if you click on this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/3fk7t6/z3_compact_just_factory_reset_itself_and_wiped/

So why don't Vodafine accept that it is a manufacturer problem with this model & offer me a new phone???  If anyone else has the same issue, please speak up so that Vodafone will finally do something about it!

3 REPLIES 3

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, why don't you contact Sony direct? I have a Z3 and have had no problems. Sony will have more leeway and will be able to check things more thoroughly than Vodafone.

http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/contactUs/

Thanks - I guess I could try that, though many people in the threads I posted had tried & Sony have been unable to help.  They do seem finally to be admitting there is an issue which for a while they refused to, but I don't think they have really come up with any viable solutions.  One theory posted on that thread is that, as it happens when in a pocket or a bag, if the movement switches the screen on & presses keys enough times to make the phone think it has failed pin entry too many  times it shuts off & resets as a security measure.  As you need to press return to enter a password (which you don't for a pin code) I'm trying that out as it should make it almost impossible to mistake random key strokes for attempts at entering passwords. But I don't trust the phone at all any more & think Vodafone should be aware of the issue & provide better customer service.  Yes it's most likely a Sony problem, but Vodafone are selling their products & happily taking the money from me each month, so it is their responsibility to find a solution.

hrym

I'm not aware of this being widespread, and similar outcomes often turn out to have different causes, which makes a single solution difficult to find.   Honestly, I would go direct to Sony on this.  If they now treating it as a known issue, they'll have experience from all the networks and worldwide, and therefore more experience.   Vodafone will do their best but, if the device passes an electrical test, they're pretty much limited to a reset and reflash - which solves most issues.

If you think it's in-pocket activation, you could try case and see if that stops it happening.