You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
biffish

Sony X10 Bluetooth Auto-Reconnect

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have 3 Androids on Vodafone a Sony Xperia X10, an HTC Desire HD and an HTC Wildfire. They all experience the same problem on 3 different bluetooth car kits (Range Rover, Mini and Parrot). The problem is that they don't do an auto-connect when I get into the car and I have to manually connect to each bluetooth installation each time I start the engine. It's very cumbersome.

Because I have the same problem with different manufacturers of phones and difefrent vehicles, I am quite sure the problem is not a device version or a bluetooth version. It is a carrier configuration problem that is common to many droids.

I have found out through various chat rooms that there is a configuration file called audio.conf in the system\etc\bluex folder on the droids which has a carrier controlled (ie in this case Vodafone) set-up file in and as I understand it the Vodafone default is to set the auto-reconnect to off. This means that the droid doesn't automatically re-connect to the car - hence the need for a manual re-connect each time. If the default was set to "auto-reconnect=true" then my phone would pair automatically each time I switch the engine on - which would be ace.

The workaround is to get the SDK, Root the Android, pull the audio.conf file via ADB, edit the config file and then push the file back to the droid. Does anyone know of an easier way to do this?

Message 1 of 5 (2,550 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Re: Sony X10 Bluetooth Auto-Reconnect

Hi biffish

Welcome to the Vodafone eForum. It's nice to see people around here.:smileyhappy:

I'm afraid I don't yet have a direct answer for you.:smileysad:

It would make sense that this setting is as you say, but I don't have any information that would confirm or deny this. I'm going to contact the appropriate department and raise this question to them. That is to see if we do indeed restrict the auto connect via the carrier settings, the reason for this is this is the case, and lastly if there are any official ways of changing this setting that do not involve rooting the device.

I'll update the thread once I receive any information concerning this.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Message 2 of 5 (2,534 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Hi biffish

I do have an answer concerning this issue.:smileyhappy:

There is no option to change this on SEMC Android, but this is also true on Google experience devices such as Nexus S, so this is a default setting on open market devices too.

Other than a device been "rooted" there's no way to change this setting. :smileysad:

As you're aware this is something I cannot recommend, as is done entirely at your own risk, and it may have a detrimental effect on the device warranty.

I trust this fully answers your question, if not fully resolve your issue.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Message 3 of 5 (2,520 Views)
biffish

Thanks Trev, understand the issue and thanks for taking the time to respond.

As a final thought, maybe you could pass a development suggestion on to the Vodafone developer team.

The suggestion is that they could consider changing the default audio.conf settings on the next release. Pretty much everyone I know who has an Android phone and a bluetooth car kit would like this to be modified. I for one would rather not go down the root route if I don't have to. Just a thought and thanks again.

Message 4 of 5 (2,516 Views)
biffish

Hi,

Just to update everyone, I fixed the problem and all the phones are connecting with all our car kits brilliantly.

To do this, I rooted the phones with SuperOneClick and installed SuperUser. Then I spent £2.40 on Root Explorer and edited the audio.conf file in the /system/etc/bluez folder.

The settings I changed were:-

Enable=

Disable=Headset,Gateway,Source,Sink,Control

autoconnect=true

HFP=true

MaxConnections=3

Now all of our droids work on all of our cars just like they should and I can drive legally!!

Hope this helps anyone else out there.

Message 5 of 5 (2,475 Views)