Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sony Xperia Z3 cracked rear glass

DLF65
4: Newbie

I've been away on holiday and only used my phone in the room which has bene a constant 21c (good air-con!)

Overnight the rear of the phone has just shattered. It's all cracked for what appears to be no reason at all. It hasn't been dropped, it wasn't on charge or anything and now the front screen can hardly be seen at all - only enough under a very bright light at a specific angle so I can switch it off again!

I've just got back from holiday and will be off to a shop tomorrow - this appears to have been a problem a while back. Has anyone else had something similar recently?

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Have you spoken to the Manufacturer at all yet ?

Sony Xperia Uk Support

I would hazard a guess that the Vodafone Shop would offer to send it off to their Repair House and may charge a fee to repair / replace the screen as they may say this does not fall under the remit of the warranty. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

If there's any evidence of damage, Vodafone aren't allowed by any of the manufacturers to carry out a warranty repair, so you'll need to go direct to Sony on this one.  It's possible the phone had a knock some time previously and that the stress has only come out in a crack now, but it's worth seeing what they say.   If they want to charge, it might be worth considering a case, which will support the structure of the phone and may be enough to avoid a repair altogether.  If it doesn't work, you can always get it repaired later.

Other possibilities would include a 3rd party repair, which may be cheaper but will almost certainly invalidate the warranty - whether that matters depends on how old the phone is - and therefore how soon you can upgrade.   Or you could look at a stick-on glass screen protector and put that on the back to stabilise the structure.   @BandOfBrothers: am I right in thinking you've used these (albeit not for that purpose)?

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Yes I've used both the front and rear tempered glass protectors.

One should hopefully suffice to stop the damage spreading and catching ones fingers etc. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.