Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sony Xperia z1 - Falling apart.

AshPeters
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Basically had this phone since around November last year. 

Haven't really had much wrong with it, or nothing too noticeable until now.

First off, the small metal ring around the power button has fallen off. Only noticed the other day as a few of my friends have this phone, and spotted the difference. 

Secondly, the speaker mesh is now peeling away from the bottom - looks like it was glued on. 

And the touchscreen is getting very unresponsive, sometimes whilst trying to type you'll press one key and it somehow hits another sometimes 3 or 4 across from the one pressed. Also sometimes down the left side of the screen as I scroll, it will automatically open an app, or a link, or something like i've pressed it.

Due to the first 2 problems, i'll assume this would make the phone not so waterproof anymore. 

Tried contacting direct to Sony who want me to get a quote to fix the damage. I need to check through the warranty as I don't really fancy paying for something that's a manufacturers fault.

Wondering if anyone else has any of these issues, I've spotted a few online and Sony have made them pay to repair.

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi AshPeters,

Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

Out of warranty repairs are quoted on a case by case basis. As there are no known faults with the build of the Xperia Z1, we'd need the phone in for repair before we can provide a quote for you.

All quotes are given before work is carried out, so you'll have an opportunity to decline the repair and take the cost to Sony directly

If you end up going to the manufacturer directly, be sure to let us know the outcome here. Your post could help other customers in a similar situation. 

Cheers, Ben

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

This is going to be a tricky one as it's going to be a straight fight between a manufacturing fault and the conditions in which the phone was kept/used.   Vodafone may well say that there's damage and that they can't therefore offer you a warranty repair.  This isn't them being difficult, just the conditions imposed on them by all manufacturers.

If that happens, you can still go to Sony.   I'm rather surprised they've asked you to geta quote as the offer a repair service themselves as far as I know.   Manufacturers take a generally more pragmatic view of the more difficult cases and may decide in your favour if there's any doubt about the cause of the faults.  When you have the phone fixed, it might be an idea to buy a case, though.

aidey68
9: Established

I've also had the mesh on the bottom covering the speaker fall off my Xperia Z1, the touchscreen is generally ok.

But I have noticed on the right side of my screen there appears to be a type of screen burn, which I'm not too impressed about ......