cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgraded from SGS3 to Xperia Compact. Can I use new nano SIM in S3 using adaptor?

omhandroid
1: Seeker

As above, I've recently changed from a Samsung Galaxy S3 which uses a micro SIM to a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, which uses a nano SIM.

Vodafone advised me that I can't use a SIM interchangeably between two phones and I would have to call them each time I change the SIM from one handset to another.

Please can someone clarify whether I can use an adaptor/convertor (one of those cheap plastic things) so that I can use my new nano SIM (once activated) in my new Xperia one day, then switch back to the SGS3 the next day is desired, without having to contact Vodafone each time and without losing any data or other abilities?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Yes I regularly put my Nano Sim in a sim adapter when using other phones. 

Just take a little care when sitting the nano sim into the adapter and when you seat both into the phone. 

Your tariff and allowances are on the sim.

The plastic ones are available at network shops and are available on eBay etc. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw
I totally agree with BOB that it is possible and ok to do, I often switch between phones and use adapters, you may get a new configuration message when switching but after that there should be no problems.

jeffkinn

@omhandroid wrote:

Vodafone advised me that I can't use a SIM interchangeably between two phones and I would have to call them each time I change the SIM from one handset to another.

This advice is absolute utter nonsense. You can use your sim in any phone you like and Vodafone doesn't care. As has been said you might get a configuration message but that has no effect on your contract, allowances or anything else.

It's frankly very poor that you should be getting such terrible advice from customer services.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks very much for your replies so far - very helpful.

Alternatively, to save me having to ask Vodafone to activate the new nano SIM they sent me for the Xperia upgrade, can I simply cut my current SGS3 micro SIM, so that it will work in both phones?

63johnw
Hi. You can try that. It may work, I have read of some people doing it successfully. I have also read that people have sometimes had problems using an older sim in a new model phone, a new sim has been required.

BandOfBrothers

Some cellphone shops cut them for a nominal fee or you can buy cutters online.

However please be careful as a slip up can render the sim card unusable.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.