Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Weak signal Xperia Z2

b18key
1: Seeker

Hi

I should begin by saying that I have searched the forum for this issue, and cannot see anything sufficiently similar, so I have started my own thread.  Happy to be corrected if there is a sufficiently similar one.....

I received a brand new Xperia Z2 today.  Upon inserting the new SIM card and using the SIM swap service to activate the SIM, the first thing I noticed was that the signal strength was about two bars below where it was on my old phone, a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  This was in my work office near London Euston.

Travelling home to West Hampstead, I again noticed a very low / zero signal.  Unusual.

I realise that there are some signal issues in London at present, however that doesn't explain why my Nexus worked fine.

I am now near High Wycombe.  This location has always had a steady, reliable 2G signal on my Nexus.  The Z2 however gets zero signal most of the time, but occasionally picks up the 2G signal before dropping it quite quickly.

There have been occasions, presumably when I have been near a base station, when I have had a strong signal.  Generally speaking though, the phone seems to struggle in areas with medium or weak signals, which doesn't seem right.

Any bright ideas?  I have tried a factory reset and also tried connecting to another network, then reconnecting to VF.  No improvement.  I am currently on the most recent version of Android (I did a system update a few hours after receiving the phone).  The problem has not changed pre or post the system update.

Many thanks

Chris

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

One of the issues could be the SIM card - how old is it?  I would get it swapped out and see if that improves your signal, sometimes a dodgy SIM can cause all sorts of hassle.  If that doesn't work - then you can return the handset as you will still be within the cooling off period.

PWIAC

As far as I know, the SIM card has nothing to do with the r.f. side of things (the radio transmitter/receiver).  

drey_p

@Syncopator wrote:

As far as I know, the SIM card has nothing to do with the r.f. side of things (the radio transmitter/receiver).  

It doesn't, but a faulty SIM can manifest itself in a multitude of ways, one of them being a weak signal or a signal that keeps dropping out.  I've had this issue myself and also seen the issue countless times on the eForum.

PWIAC

wildboy
2: Seeker

Ive just received my sony xperia z2 last week. I'm also having signal problems with my phone aswell. Ive had a whole day without a signal, popped round to see a friend who is also on vodafone whom had a full signal. I switched my phone off then back on and all of a sudden I had a full signal and a load of text messages came through.

I have to switch my phone off and back on every day since to get a signal. If I stand holding phone for a couple of mins the signal will sometimes come back but no text messages come through and the phone wont let me send text messages (keep getting error messages). But if I turn the phone off and back on then the signal comes back full and  I receive missed calls and texts and can also then send a text message no problem.

Ive contacted customer services who tell me that the problem is that my network mode should be on 3g not 4g, but ive got mobile data disabled (so this shouldn't matter??).

Ive got a new sim card on the way but i'm not confident that this will solve the problem because my old phone which is a sony xperia t has alot better signal strength and I have no problems with the signal when I put the my sim back in this phone.

I don't know where I stand if problem persists, as im still currently in my cooling off period, but its ending very soon.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @wildboy ,

If you're getting close to your return period finishing, I'd recommend either arranging a return, or visiting your nearest store for a replacement SIM.

While signal strength can vary between phone models, the symptoms you describe sounds like it's the phone or the SIM.

Thanks,

Ben

wildboy
I should get a new sim in the post tomorrow. My cooling off period ends on Tuesday. When's the latest I can arrange a return? and if I return the phone will Vodafone automatically send me a new one?

Hi @wildboy,

You'll need to ensure that you return the handset within 14 days of purchase.

Thanks,

Rodney