Support:

Sony

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
darrenoc6

Xperia Z Screen Fault

I received my Xperia Z as a contract upgrade towards the end of July. All was going well and I was more than satisfied with the phone until, after 8 days, I noticed a fine hairline crack had appeared at the bottom left of the screen - rendering the whole screen inactive. The phone was never dropped, bumped or stressed in any way! I couldn't believe it! The 'crack' itself was not on the outer side of the phone but appeared to be under the glass, and was only properly visible when viewed at a certain angle. 

I immediately searched online and after one quick Google search it's clear that there are endless numbers of people who have experienced and reported the exact same problem. This is clearly a fault with the Xperia Z which is otherwise a great handset. I have since contacted Sony who provided me with an address to post the phone to for 'assessment', as  they 'do not believe that this will be covered under warranty'. I'm understandably angry at this situation and am waiting on a response from Sony repair centre. There is no way that I will pay a repair charge as this is a clear design/quality issue rather than any wrong doing on my part! 

Anyone else on Vodafone had the same issue? 

Message 1 of 17 (5,515 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

Re: Xperia Z Screen Fault

Hi there

I can understand why you'd be upset if your device has damage to it.  Despite what you may read on the internet, unless Sony admit there is a fault, it is unlikely that they will do a warranty repair.  All they will say is that you damaged it and you will have a hard time proving otherwise. I am sorry to be the bearer of not so great news, but I don't want you to get your hopes up unnecessarily.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 2 of 17 (5,511 Views)
darrenoc6

Yeah I'm not expecting a great initial response from Sony - but I'm not giving up easily. For a top-end handset to stop working after 8 days' use is not acceptable. There are endless forum threads of others with the exact same problem, and also petitions lodged online. There is obviously a screen quality issue with the Sony Xperia Z handset, and as the complaints volume continues to rise, Sony will have to do something about it to avoid a major problem erupting. As far as I see it, I've received a faulty handset which is useless have one week! 

Message 3 of 17 (5,508 Views)
darrenoc6

**UPDATE**

After waiting nearly 3 weeks for a response, and after several calls and online chats with Sony, I finally received a letter from their 'SBE repairs' company which deals with handset repairs, stating that they had determined that my phone did not have a manufacturing defect and therefore I will have to pay £235.70 to have it repaired!!!

What a complete and utter con and lie, I in no way damaged or stressed the phone during the 8 days I had it! This is clearly a common fault amongst Xperia Z handsets - as many other forum posts and petitions by owners will testify. A hairline crack appeared under the screen glass and rendered the whole screen useless!

What can I do to contest this situation? 

Message 4 of 17 (4,878 Views)
Tech Team
Andy

Hi darrenoc6,

Thanks for the update.

When we send a phone for repair, we have strict guidelines to follow which are laid down by the manufacturers themselves.

Any cracks to the screen will be classed as physical damage which isn’t covered by the warranty.

I can only recommend that you contact Sony again and appeal the decision they made.

Thanks

Andrew

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 17 (4,846 Views)
denise75

I have the same fault butt On a Xperia t been to the shop with it & they say tether screen disconnecting from the phone.it needed to go back to be fixed. Shoe was taking the SIM & memory cards out, when the phone suddenly began to light up. It was now working as it should till 4 days later when it did it again.so did what he did & it worked again.
But i do think there is a problem so will take it back again for them to fix
Message 6 of 17 (4,653 Views)
MrDaveM

Hi Darren,

I've had the same issue and am not happy at all about the level of service from Sony and SBE Ltd. 

Were you informed that the repairs would include a battery replacement / earpiece and frame? 

I would like to get in touch with you as I would like to take Sony to court over this matter and the more people I can get information from the better. 

Regards,

Dave. 

Message 7 of 17 (4,543 Views)
Samdyke

Hi Dave,

I was playing on my experia for about an hour. I walked down to my desk at work and pulled my phone out and it had cracked like some one stepped on it. I was thinking there surely has to be an explination and i couldnt recall knocking it on the way to my desk. The Vodafone shop advised me to get in touch with sony so i did. They want me to send it away, I am reluctant to do so as i have read people are getting asked a stupid amount fo a repair of the same issue. ive had the phone for about a month and a half. And it has annoyed me that i been without a phone for 2 weeks yet im still paying for this phone and the usage. I have the phone insured and have to get it replaced through that. And if it happens again then im more money out of pocket because sony wont admit to a fault !

Just thought id give you my story for the info.

Thanks ,

Sam

Message 8 of 17 (3,836 Views)
MrDaveM

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the update.  I have been in touch with Sony and after numerous phone calls and emails they have agreed that the phone should be repaired under warranty.  It's taken nearly 4 months and I have still not actually got my phone back from SBE Ltd.  I am chasing up Sony again today to try and get an update on when my phone will actually be repaired.  The Sony rep that was dealing with my case informed me that each repair was being delt with on a case by case basis, if you send the phone off then kick up stink until they agree to repair it under warranty. 

Regards,

Dave

Message 9 of 17 (3,832 Views)
pmcvilla

Hi all

Like many of you on this forum I too have this problem with my screen I have looked after my phone from day 1 I received my upgrade to the experia z at the end of may whilst my upgrade was not due untill August 2013 and then yesterday 30th October the phone just stopped working.

I have looked on you tube google etc on here and of course called my provider Vodafone who tell me that Water damage and Physical damage is not covered by the warrenty I have wasted my time on the phone , visiting a store  to be told that nothing can be done unless i pay for the repair .

Consider this if I brought a glowworm gas bolier from british gas and it broke down after 5 months british gas would come and repair or replace said item and they personally would take this mater up with Glowworm as the supply of good and services act instructs them. Yet vodafone can not help there customers in the same way!

Maybe I'll have better luck with Sony and maybe I'll choose another phone and network provider in the future.!

I would be interested to hear from anybody who have had success with Sony or Vodafone for these repairs.

Paul

Message 10 of 17 (3,542 Views)
timpoisonfrog

This is the issue here

Any cracks to the screen will be classed as physical damage

Yes but physics damage caused by what?

How about overheating

manufacturing fault caused in glueing glass down.

Sony clearly have a problem with this phoen and need to own up.

Message 11 of 17 (2,637 Views)
pmcvilla

Not only should Sony Own up Vodafone should grow a pair and challenge Sony and look out for there customers. So far Vodafone haven't even responded to my complaint!
Message 12 of 17 (2,590 Views)
scoops99

I have just had exactly the same problem, had the phone in my pocket like I have done for the last four months and found the phone did not work, I cannot unlock the phone or enter the PIN. On further investigation, after removing the screen protector, I noticed two hairline cracks coming from the  right hand side of the screen. The phone has never been dropped or bashed. Have been to the Vodafone shop and they have said they cannot do anything and it will cost £190 to repair. Have spoken to Sony and they have asked me to send it in so an engineer can 'assess' it. After looking at all of the blogs I am not confident they will resolve anything and I will be stuck with a useless phone with 18 months left on the contract...... If anyone has had any joy getting theirs fixed please can they let me know.

Message 13 of 17 (2,557 Views)
scoops99

Just heard back from SBE, no suprise they are saying that I must have dropped or bashed the phone even though there is no other damage or marks on the phone.

They are going to ask the engineer to reassess but I'm not holding out much hope.

Have also gone back to Sony and they have now 'escalated' my call but again, not holding my breath.

Looking at other blogs and responses it looks like I may have to go back to Vodafone with the Sale of Goods act.

Anyone else had any luck?

Message 14 of 17 (2,402 Views)
pmcvilla

I got mine fixed through my bank insurance however after a strong worded letter regarding the poor service received, Vodafone have subsequently (without prejudice) refunded my excess, however this does not mean that they agree there is a problem with the handsets each case is being treated on its individual case by case basis good luck and keep fighting
Message 15 of 17 (2,392 Views)
scoops99

I escalated my issue within Sony and the SBE the UK repairer, I quoted all of the blogs and the online petition and my disappointment with the phone and the service and just received the following email from SBE:-

'Hello,

In regards to the forums you have mentioned below, these are not official Sony output, just user forums, and therefore we cannot utilise these as part of the repair service offered.

Since this quotation was raised; a new product criteria has been passed to the repair centre from Sony, I have had a second opinion requested and your unit fit with these new policy, for it to be repair within the Sony warranty and with no fee required.

I have advised the repair line and the repair will now commence within the warranty, hopefully this will be processed and return within the next 5 working days.'

Quotes Support

SBE Ltd -Ashford.

Looks like something might have changed, hopefully others may get their issues sorted now

Message 16 of 17 (2,353 Views)
Dogeared

I have a fine crack in the screen of my phone and Sony are repairing it under warranty.

This is clearly a known issue.

No thanks to the Vodafone repair centre however - they would not repair it and quoted me £190.

Despite escalating they flatly refused to check if there had been a policy review with Sony when I asked them too - very shabby service, I'm totally unimpressed.

Message 17 of 17 (1,678 Views)