Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xperia Z3 compatibility with Halifax banking app

Rixy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi All, I have been advised by my bank that due to modifcations made to the operating system on my android device, it poses a risk to Halifax systems, and therefore is not allowed to register. The device has not been rooted and is running the vodafone build (with any updates that have come through recently). Has anyone else managed to register fine? if there are any Vodafone reps on here, do you have any information on this issue? the feedback on the halifax app seems to be rife of Xperia Z3 users having the same issue. Cheers Rixy

8 REPLIES 8

hrym
17: Community Champion

I think it's unlikely that this is related to anything Vodafone have done.  If it was, I'd expect it to be universal across all the devices they supply.  It seems more likely that it's something to do with Sony's implementation of Android and that would be something you'd need to take up with both them and Halifax.  As they're both large corporations, I somehow doubt they'll get involved with that discussion with a single user, but you can try...

It's possible that this isn't a security issue at all and that that's just a standard error message from the bank (it certainly looks good!).  I've had experience with an LG phone that had trouble with a few apps I use regularly - some of them wouldn't run on my tablet, but others do.  One of the difficulties of programming for Android is the wide variety of screen formats and this can cause issues.   The LG has a clever way of increasing screen definition and that may have been part of the cause (screen size is usually why some apps won't run on a tablet).   I emailed the app developers, but never got a reply from any of them.

The long and the short of it is that this may have to be something you have to live with, frustrating though it is.   If you haven't left feedback on Google Play, do so as it's a public place and probably where you're most likely to be heard.

63johnw
Hi, I have a Z3, although I am not currently using it, but it has the Halifax app on it and working.

hrym

In the light of what 63johnw says, I'd be inclined to try removing all your donwloaded apps and seeing if the Halifax one will work then - it could be conflict with something else.

If that fails, the last resort would be a full factory reset and then running the phone vanilla to see if you can get it working.  In both cases, add your apps back one at a time until Halifax stops working again and you've found the culprit.   I hope...

One final thought ... have you transferred from another device that was running the app?   There was a similar query a while back (relating to Vodafone Wallet, I think) and that time it took a few days for the app to register on the new device.  I suspect what happened was that the backend systems took a while to update and de-register the previous one.

Cheers both for your answers. I reckon you could have a point Hrym on the downloaded apps bit. my google profile copied over most of my downloaded apps and halifax was one of them. I have reinstalled it however but will take a look further into it. 63johnw, forgive me, i'm not being patronising (I work in IT support) but can you confirm you are using your Z3 on Vodafone? Cheers peeps

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Before you remove and reinstall the app, it may be an idea to clear the cache and data of the app in case it leaves some files on your device which mess up the registration process.  You may have already tried this though.

Did you deregister the app on your previous device?  That could also be causing issues if you didn't.  

PWIAC

Cheers John fgor confirming.

Hi Drey, you can have up to 5 registrations with halifax, as i have had several devices in the past using it. I reached the limit yesterday and managed to get halifax to clear off my failed attempts. so i have about 4 registrations seats free again :).  I'll try clearing the cache this time round before uninstalling.

Will keep this thread posted with my findings.

63johnw
Hi, not a problem, yes its a Z3 and its on Vodafone, Vodafone branded phone and running android 5.0.2

mylock
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I have had this problem on various devices with halifax and one or two banking apps, barclaycard being one if I remember. Basically, it is because the device is rooted.

Solutions are mostly simple

Unroot device.

Use website ( my choice, much better than app imo)

Use an app to hide rooted status to specific apps, one is on XDA developers though I never actually used it after downloading it.

Hope this is of some help.