cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Z1 sent for repair 4 times! still broken!!!

Grimmy11
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've had my Xperia z1 for a around a year. before christmas it started powering itself off (the battery would be on 80%-99% and then instantly go to 0% and power down) sometimes I could turn it back on but most of the time I'd have to plug in to charge and reset it (volume and power button held down) to get it to turn back on.

I took it in to the Vodafone store and they sent it off for repair but upon return it still had the same issue. so it went back again... and again.. after the third time the woman at the vodafone shop gave me the number of the repair centre and told me I should ring them myself. I questioned that maybe thhat's something she should be doing but she insisted I do it myself.

I rang them while still in the store and was immediately told that the number wasn't for customers and shouldn't be ringing it. The woman still took my details and told me the second and third times I sent the phone they didn't find a fault and just updated the software. I explained that I don't even get as far as signing back in to my email before the phone powers itself off and I'd done this in the store infront of the staff so it was clearly still broken.

She told me the store can request a replacement but I'll need to send it to the repair centre again and she would put a note on my account so someone would ring me from the repair centre to ask me what I wanted as a replacement.

The shop took the phone to send off again, Told me they can't request a replacement but added that they will add that the repair centre said I could and reiterated that someone would ring me.

I've just logged in to check on the job and I can see that they have just updated the software and dispatched it back to the store AGAIN! If updating the software didn't fix a power issue the previous three times don't see how it will this time and nobody has rang me! If they did when they thought they'd fixed it I could talk them through how to see the phone was still broken within 2 minutes!!

I'm paying £40 a month for a contract phone I haven't had since before christmas!!

2 REPLIES 2

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

On the face of it, I'd say that sounds like a dead battery and I'm slightly surprised that hasn't been tested - unless, for some reason, the repair centre can't replicate the fault.   The software update etc would be a normal part of the process.   As far as I know, you'd only get a replacement if the repair people deem it unrepairable.  It sounds as though what you need is a new battery.

I think I might be inclined to get the phone back and just go direct to Sony on this.  They guarantee their batteries, for two years I think.

Lithium-based batteries really don't like being allowed to go flat - you haven't let this happen, have you?  If not, then the battery would simply have reached the end of its charge-cycle life, if I'm right.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Grimmy11 

I'm sorry to see the problems that you're having with this. Please email us here and we'll be back in touch to help. 

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours, for a faster response speak to Live help

Thanks, 

Amanda