cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Z3 terrible phone with bad design faults.

samuelcarringto
3: Seeker
Hi, my names Sam and I'm an artist. I got a Sony z1 on contract a few years ago as it had the best camera and was also pitched as an adventurers phone so was waterproof! and I was extreampy happy with it. It worked beautifully and was very responsive, it took many many drops and bangs and trips underwater. After a couple of years of good use it went underwater then I forgot to clear the headphone jack plug and inserting my headphones pushed water into the phone and killed it, my own stupid fault! Having been so pleased with my z1 in the way it was so responsive and robust and also liking Sony in general ( TV car sterio etc) I decided on buying a z3......... What a terrible mistake.
The first z3 I was given the screen was extreamly slow and glitchy and the speaker phone was actually broken! After a week with this terrible price of rubbish I phoned Sony and the told me to go swop it at point of purchase. A 30 mile drive and just under four hours later I had a replacement z3. This was almost as bad as the first one, speakerphone was barley audible for me or the reciver of the call and the screen was so unresponsive and constantly sticking that it drives me crazy, it's like using a first generation touch screen phone, it's truly terrible.
On top of this about two weeks after I got the phone it fell from about 10" onto the floor so softly it didn't even mark the phone, ( I had dropped my z1 many hundreds of times) I inspected the phone and it looked totally fine, so thought nothing more of it. Later that day I washed my phone and put it on side, I then noticed the vibrate going off randomly and the screen started flickering and I new instantly it had water in it!! I whipped the back off and sure enough full of water. Luckily it came in at other end to mother bored so I saved the phone which I am writing to you on now.
This happend because Sony have changed the design of the frame in this series of phone from solid aluminium to plastic with metal covers, and this new design means that any tiny nock to the sides will let water in and kill the phone, obviously saving Sony money and selling more replacements. I always liked and trusted Sony but looking at the inside of this z3 in comparison to the z1 I feel I have been completely ripped off and sold a totally inferior product that isn't fit for purpose as it's not waterproof in the real world. If Sony had sold the phone saying 'waterproof until the first time you give it the slightest little knock ' I would never have got the z3 I would have paid £200 less for basically the same model that's not waterproof, and that's not even considering the problems with screen and speaker phone! All in I feel I have been totally ripped off buty Sony on this z3, it is an inferior badly designed product that is not fit for purpose and it had put my faith in Sony in general into question. I thought you were a reputable company that made quality products? Anyone else had problems?
18 REPLIES 18

hrym
17: Community Champion
@63johnw is right. Serves me right for not re-reading the whole thread. The point stands, though.

samuelcarringto
So Sony change the aluminium frame design for a cheap inferior plastic one that isn't up to the job as it bends easily to let water in and you talk about screens? The screen was terrible from new it had nothing to do with my main gripe that the construction of this phone isn't upto the jobs for which it has been sold. And obviously I guess you hrym or 63 John or both of you work for Vodafone as since writing this this morning strangely my previously removed content bock has mysteriously re appeared??? Pathetic childish behaviour which will I can assure you be fully investigated. Hope it was worth it.

@samuelcarringto wrote:
So Sony change the aluminium frame design for a cheap inferior plastic one that isn't up to the job as it bends easily to let water in and you talk about screens? The screen was terrible from new it had nothing to do with my main gripe that the construction of this phone isn't upto the jobs for which it has been sold. And obviously I guess you hrym or 63 John or both of you work for Vodafone as since writing this this morning strangely my previously removed content bock has mysteriously re appeared??? Pathetic childish behaviour which will I can assure you be fully investigated. Hope it was worth it.

@samuelcarringto

None of us are employed by Vodafone in any capacity.

Nor do we have any Access to Vodafones Systems or Customer Accounts. 

Any employee of Vodafone has the Vodafone Logo next to their name.

Any adjustments to your account can only be accessed by Customer service. I assume something has accidentally tripped. Live Chat should be able to rectify this for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

samuelcarringto
So I don't have anything to do with Vodafone or Sony then the day I complain after a year and half, the very same day I'm chatting to possible employes there are unwanted changes to my Vodafone account??? Very strange Co incidence I'd say????I'm recovering from an opp and have nothing else to do so I don't mind spending a few hours today investigating this suspicious childish vindictive behaviour as after having worked for large companies I know whoever did that will have left a digital finger print. Again, I hope it was worth it.

jeffkinn
You were told that no one here is a Vodafone employee. No one likes being called a liar. This is a customer self help forum and we are all customers just like you.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

63johnw
Hi, you are free to investigate if you want but as you have been told, no one who has posted works for Vodafone, I replied to a specific question about anyone having problems with a Z3 to say I have not, I am now being called a liar by someone I was trying to help, so I will leave you to get on with your problems now.

hrym

Have you actually approached Sony about this?  There have been questions about waterproofing before and they've generally taken each one on its merits.  You may be able to persuade them that the consequences of accidental damage are greater than they should be.

My reference to the screen was simply down to not re-reading the thread fully and assuming that the question of damage after dropping the phone related to a cracked one - they usually do.  As I observed before, you might want to consider a case.

No, I don't work for Vodafone either.

samuelcarringto
Thanks hrym, any suggestion on where is the best line of approach? I don't know if you ever looked inside a z1/z3 but the difference in build quality is rediculose, I honestly wouldn't have bought the z3 if I had known of the money saving design changes.

hrym

If you believe your phone has a fault - I'm talking specifics, not just a general complaint about design - start on the Sony website and look for support.

If a specific design is causing particular problems, I'm sure it would be modified, but I haven't handled anything from Sony recently so I don't know how things have progressed - they're up to the Z5, after all.

When you say "looked inside", do you mean you've dismantled the phone?  That would invalidate the warranty, of course.