Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

faulty USB flap thingy.

jaygrim
4: Newbie
Hi, I've had my Sony experia Z2 for a few weeks now and the flap thing that covers it is always coming loose. Any ideas if I can get this sorted?
56 REPLIES 56

gdavs

Sounds faulty to me. I guess your only option is to send it back for a repair (Vodafone only give a 14day cooling off)

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-services/Repairing-a-faulty-phone-or-device/td-p/584881

Or Sony might  be able to help in one of their shops if you got one nearby

jaygrim
How is it classed as damage? It's supposed to come off to charge it, not just pop off itself.

hrym
17: Community Champion

@jaygrim wrote:
How is it classed as damage? It's supposed to come off to charge it, not just pop off itself.

You're quite right, but Vodafone probably wouldn't be able to tell whether it was faulty from the off or whether it's got damaged.  They'd therefore be precluded (by Sony) from doing a warranty repair.  Manufacturers also offer a warranty and will often take a more pragmatic view so, in this case, it's worth the direct approach.

FWIW, you can get mangetic charge leads on eBay for about £3 or £4 which go on the dock connector.  I was nervous about the flimsy little flap and used these instead.  They also have the advantage that, if you're charging in a car and the phone falls off the dash, the connector falls off instead of breaking, or breaking the usb port.

jaygrim
Thankyou.

Hey

I have the same issue, 

I read that if you give the seal a wipe it usually does the trick.

I have used a toothpick or end of a spoon on the seal and have seen the smallest bit of dirt come away, but it seems to do the trick but its only temperary 

I often sleep my my phone on charge and earphones in so i am finding that i hve to clean the seal once a week.

Seems stupid as the port doesnt even look dirty but it does seem to stop the seal from closing.

Hope this helped

Sigh - Looks like my Z2 has come down with the faulty USB flap syndrome after 6 months ownership. It pops out of its own accord barely 2 to 3 minutes after being fastened. Just as well that I've never submerged the phone.

Given this thread I'l arrange a repair directly through Sony. I'm happy to hear that Sony repaired the OP's phone free of charge as I would be highly p*ssed if I were charged for what appears to be a defect in design. The USB flap is meant to be unfastened and fastened on periodic basis and this apparent failure of the seal is a worrying defect for a phone that is marketed as waterproof.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist at heart, but I do wonder whether issues like this contributed to the relatively quick release of the "new improved" Xperia Z3.

@pb3000 wrote:

Sigh - Looks like my Z2 has come down with the faulty USB flap syndrome after 6 months ownership. It pops out of its own accord barely 2 to 3 minutes after being fastened. Just as well that I've never submerged the phone. Given this thread I'l arrange a repair directly through Sony. 

An update on this. I finally sent my Z2 off for repair just befoe the New Year. I've just checked and the phone is on its way back to me. The repair of the defective cover has been done under warranty.

Givven this episode I'll be investing in a magnetic charger so that the I don't have to unfasten the cover on a regular basis. This failure of the cover seal seems to be a fundamental design issue that will raise its head after repeated fastenting and unfastening.  

My issues with the Z2  around encryption and now the loose cover issue may well return me to Samsung when upgrade time comes around in 5 months.

hrym

I've used magnetic connectors.   The only official Sony accessory is a dock, but there are alternatives around (eg on eBay) which include simple leads.   I like using these in a car as, if the phone falls of the dash, the connector simply falls off, rather than breaking the usb socket.  Magnetic conenctors can be a bit fiddly to connect at first, but you soon get the hang of it.  Some of the 3rd party leads are better than others.

jaygrim
Actually I'm taking it to Vodafone at weekend, it still keeps popping off so I bought a Sony docking station. After a week of use the magnetic part on the phone came off.

hrym

@jaygrim wrote:
After a week of use the magnetic part on the phone came off.

That's definitely a fault.  I've had the magnets come out of the leads, but they're non genuine Sony, so perhaps not entirely susprising.

Just to add to the generality of this: there are non-Sony docks that have removeable inserts.  These can accomodate the phone with a case on, which the genuine (and some non-genuine) ones can't.