Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't afford this

Julianclay
2: Seeker
Hello I've had a £15000+ bill today.. Which has came from my lost iPad sim being used abroad... I' didnt realise it was missing for a fortnight so I've been told I'm liable... I'd understand if it was my phone, obviously you would notice that missing straight away.. Also the iPad is only £15 a month. How could that be allowed to be run up?
3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If a device is used abroad, it's possible to rack up some hefty charges before anything gets back to the home network and rings alarm bells.

At best, you'll probably only be able to negotiate a goodwill reduction, I fear.  I'd also speak to your home insurer and see if you have any cover with them.

Edited to add: Sorry, revisiting this, it's far too terse, but those are the facts as I see them.  This is a horrible situation and a difficult one to resolve.  The solution, for the future, is to always put a lock code on your SIM, but how many of us actually do that? - and especially when we're nor abroad in the first place.  It's been suggested that people should only be liable for fraudulent use up to a certain limit, and the position is often compared to that with banks.   There's an important difference, though: your bank card always has a PIN on it and you can be pretty sure that a limit on phone use would only apply if there were PINs (both device and SIM) in place at the time.

Anyway, I hope all this works out as well as possible for you.   I'll flag this thread as needing attention as whatever process is going to take place needs to be started as soon as possible.

Julianclay
Thanks very much for your comments.. My main argument is just the fact it was an iPad and not a phone. As I didn't use it all the time and it can be lost without me knowing. Also if I used to go over or close to my monthly data limit Vodafone would soon let me know.. A normal £15 or so a month account being allowed to get to £15,000 is just crazy... They informed me that they warned me at £2,000 and £4,000... I said how and they told me by messaging the iPad sim... I had to laugh at that one as all that was doing was informing the fraudsters they could carry on using the phone... Surely they could have messaged the mobile number on the same account?? I've googled a few things and it seems a common occurrence in Barcelona where the people using the phone make money by calling a premium rate number.. I'm glad I didn't have £15,000 in my bank at the time or I'd be now attempting to get the money back which I doubt I would have, rather than just arguing about wether to pay or not. Thanks

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Julianclay

I’ve sent you a private message here so that we can gain access to your account and look into it for you.

Thanks,

Simon