Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Formula One 2011 Discussion Thread

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)

Morning All,

I don't know about any of you, but I'm starting to get really excited for the new F1 season which is just around the corner!

Forums I've used in the past have always had an F1 thread the members can use to talk about any news, upcoming races and so on, so now we have this off topic section, I thought I'd create one here too!

So, who do you follow and what are your hopes for the coming season?

I'm a die-hard McLaren fan, so am eagerly awaiting the new car launch on 4th February. From what the team were saying when I visited the MTC back in November, this should be a competitive year, so I'm hoping for Lewis to win his second championship.

110 REPLIES 110

Nabs
17: Community Champion

TBH, I'm surprised Massa is running for Ferarri again After being given the Barichello treatment last year. Be interesting to se how things play out with the ruie changes, and a new tyre manufacturer on the scene.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.

RetiredTom

Anyone miss the launch on Friday? If so, here's what happened:

Everyone heard the news about Kubica? Shocking, hope he makes a speedy recovery!

Nabs

BIG NEWS!

The bahrain Grand Prix has been called off due to the political protests out there!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/ with the latest

RetiredTom
I know! Can't say it was a surprise though. It would have been silly to go over there in the current circumstances.

To be honest, I don't really feel Bahrain is much of a loss from the calendar- the race there is always pretty dull. Perhaps they'll squash it in somewhere else in the season though.

Nabs

New silverstone circuit this year, more chalenging for the driver and gives more oppertunity for overtakes, should make this year more interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12499373

RetiredTom

It's going to be so strange to see the cars starting after club, that's where the start/finish will be isn't it?

On a side note, some guys from our HQ are doing some fundraising this year and have a signed Lewis Hamilton shirt to auction- it's on eBay here: Signed Lewis Hamilton Shirt

Bids are at £155 already!

I cannot belive vodafone wastes money in advertising own brand label on F1 cars, why can't vodafone invest the money in to give customers better deals like tesco, i.e tesco don't use f1 to advertise their selves but give cheap deals to customers.

RetiredTom
Hey dilm1983,

You're entitled to your opinions about sponsorship and stuff like that, but this is kind of just a thread about F1 for people who like F1- it's not a company run thing or anything linked to sponsorship, I just started it my own time as I've always been a huge fan.

It's an interesting comparison to make though, I saw one of their adverts which alluded to this topic on a billboard on my walk home from work a few months ago.

The way I look at it is that although Tesco operate a virtual network, they're actually a supermarket, not a phone company. There are many many other reasons you'd go to Tesco or another supermarket, so they don't really have to advertise in the ways other companies do. I can't recall anything that Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys or Morrisons sponsor, and whilst we're their competitors in the mobile arena, those are the companies they'll be benchmarking themselves against the most, so there's just no need for them to do it.

Plus, all successful companies advertise in one way or another. At least with the way we do it, our customers get some pretty cool unique experiences out of it- look at all the London Fashion Week exclusives our customers got last week, the British Grand Prix tickets and other F1 stuff on offer on VIP right now and of course all of the festival stuff coming over the summer.

Interesting point, probably worthy of its own thread really but I thought I'd discuss it here! The stuff I've just said by the way is my own opinion, written in my own time. I'd sign up another forum account for personal use, but everyone would still know it was me and it'd kind of defeat the point!

Cheers,

Tom

JohnA
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Depends how you look at Tesco Mobile. It's 50% owned by Telefonica O2 and there's plenty of O2 and Telefonica sports sponsorship. The Telefonica name was also a common sight at GPs and I seem to remember them as big sponsors of Renault a few years ago.