Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Forum Ranking Changes

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Everyone

Over the next few weeks we are going to be implementing some changes to improve our customers experience with our forum. While the way in which our customers use the forum will not change dramatically, the changes will make it easier to find the information you are looking for as well as some of the other functions of the site

One of the first changes we are going to make is a revamp of the forum ranking structure. This will be going live on Monday so please do not be alarmed if your rank changes on this day. At the same time as going live I will be sure to create a post that explains the new structure and answers any questions you may have on the subject.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the forum then please let us know in our forum feedback and suggestion board.

Ellis

43 REPLIES 43

Getafix
16: Advanced member

Hi Ellis,

Any update?

Hi Getafix,

We’ll get back to you as soon as we have an update on this.

Thanks,

Wayne

Ellis_VF

Hi Getafix.

Sorry for the delay.

I've had confirmation that the number of thanks has dropped due to archiving. The visible count will reflect what can be seen in the areas a user has access to. As threads are archived, either due to inactivity or for other reasons, then the count will drop.

The postivie news I have is that posts that have been archived still count towards your rank. So even when we remove inactive posts, your rank will not go down and you will still be at the same level as you progress.

Archiving is a very important process to follow. If we were not to archive then the performance of the forum could suffer, especially the search option. Also, I must state that we do not currently have the option to show total thanksthat includes areas you cannot see.

In the meantime I am writing up a post to go into the "Guide to using the community" that explains how ranking works and also about the archiving issue so that people are more aware of it for the future.

Any questions?

Getafix

Ellis

That would mean the All Time Thanks Leaderbord is not correct.

The All time Leader should be stopped. Or you could replace it by a more accurate reflection, or you need to make sure the archiving does not affect the Thanks Count.

In all the Thanks Ranking a Year or less I am quite high, however as have lost over 500 (total) of my thanks count over 2 different archiving, I am out of the Top Ten.

I would like some change made on this. I have said this before and repeat it again, I don't ask actively for people to Thank me if I have helped like all the CCs, but that does not mean I don't value my standing on the :Leader Board.

So either remove the All Time Leader Board as it not right or correct my Thanks count. I leave the decison to you.

p/s also I have noticed that I have been Scholar II for a very long time, despite being in the Top 7 ranking or better on both 30 days and 6 month ranking. I believe the Total Thanks is affecting that.

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@Getafix wrote:

That would mean the All Time Thanks Leaderbord is not correct.

the All Time Thanks leaderboard is correct for the scope in which it is displayed.

Just as an example If I look at the All Time leaderboard for Nokia I rank down in 9th, switch over to Sure Signal and I come in at the top spot. Scop back out to the overall forum and i drop back down to 6th. The thanks leaderboards are something that are goign to be constantly changing depending on where you are in the forum.  

@Getafix wrote:

The All time Leader should be stopped. Or you could replace it by a more accurate reflection, or you need to make sure the archiving does not affect the Thanks Count.

The design of the system isn't something Vodafone directly control and unfortunatley such a fundamental change to the kudos ranking system just isn't going to happen.

The only thing that Vodafone may be able to do is remove the 'All Time' link from the templates so you can no longer access it. I personally don't think doing this will benefit anyone and the cost involved would be very difficult to justify.

@Getafix wrote:

In all the Thanks Ranking a Year or less I am quite high, however as have lost over 500 (total) of my thanks count over 2 different archiving, I am out of the Top Ten.

I'm not sure if you are trying to gauge yourself against other people?

The default timeframes for Thanks rankings are 30 days so for me these should be the only ones that count when trying to compete. anything beyond that and you need to take into account length or service and post numbers, frequency of posts etc. that would make any kind of realistic competition impossible.

@Getafix wrote:

I would like some change made on this. I have said this before and repeat it again, I don't ask actively for people to Thank me if I have helped like all the CCs, but that does not mean I don't value my standing on the :Leader Board.

As mentioned above the structure and implementation of the Thanks feature isn't going to change. There are some new features on their way that should change the game slightly making your rank on the eForum a little less (for want of a better word) important.

Many of the CC's don't ask for thanks and those that do do so to promote the feature and try to get more people giving thanks. Chances are if a customer see's the button on a CC's post they are more likely to use it elsewhere as well. That being said the majority of the Thanks is still given out by the eForum team.

@Getafix wrote:

p/s also I have noticed that I have been Scholar II for a very long time, despite being in the Top 7 ranking or better on both 30 days and 6 month ranking. I believe the Total Thanks is affecting that.

Your ranking and location on the leaderboard are completely independent of eachother so in reality it doesn't matter where you are on the leaderboard. 
Also your ranking is far more affected by solutions than Thanks so in order to move through the ranks quicker you would want to be gathering more solutions than kudos.

Getafix

Nabs,

Don't agree at all wioth your explanantion.

My All time Count on the Eforum Leaderboard is showing 1822. (01Sep 1440) currently ranked 11.

I have lost 500 + thanks in the last 2 archiving process. With that extra Thanks I would be 10th. As that ranking is based on Total Thanks Counts.

Regarding the Status, what I was trying to say is for someone to be consistently high in the 30 days and 6 month ranking, is getting roughly the same number of thanks that are falling out of that period.

eg I get 5 thanks today, they are replacing 5 thanks I had 6 months ago which have now dropped out as outside 6 months. I have been consistently getttin thanks for the last 6 months, and have maintained my ranking. Therefore I would have got 5 * 180 thanks. That would mean change in Ranking. (5 per day is just an example to explain it could be higher or lower on some days) Being consistently in the top ranking mean that you are getting regular thanks and that in turn means it affects the Status.

Edited: I agree 30 days is a better ball park. That I have been ranked even higher. So definitely should have seen a Status change.

Which I have not seen since I lost 500 + thanks. My estimate was Ranking would have changed around 2100 count which I have not seen. Yes Solutions also make a difference to this, but purely on Thanks count ranking should changed by now.

And it is nice to see that CCs are liking your post, but do they understand what I was asking. I don't think so.

Nabs

Hi Getafix,

I somehow didn't think you would agree  😜

To be honest I think you are getting a wee bit confused between your ranking and the leaderboards.

Your rank, Scholar II, is made up of all the thanks, solutions, tags and posts you have made since joining the eForum regardless of whether they show ont he leaderboards or not.

Your position on the leaderboard is made up purely from the element selected (thanks, solution, tags etc.) over the specified time period (24h, 30day, all time etc.)

With regards to how quickly you rank up, I don't know the exact steps between each rank, contrary to popular belief even we CC's don't get told everything, but when it has been discussed with us it's been hinted that each time you level up the requirements get considerably greater, to the point that you are following an alsmot exponential curve to rech the top ranks.

All of this is based purely on my understanding of the system which could of course be wrong and i'm more than happy to be corrected if that is the case.

Nabs

Ellis_VF

Hi All.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. What I was trying to say is that posts that are archived still count towards your rank. This is everythign that counts such as number of comments, thanks and answers recieved. While it may affect you as you are not getting any new thanks on those posts, it shouldn't affect one that you already have.

The ranking structure should allow you to move up at a steady pace. However it does take into account a number of different factors. So it is possible that you have more than enough thanks to satisfy that criteria for the next 5 ranks. However, you also need posts marked as a correct answer. So that could potentially hold you back.

We are looking at changing the leaderboards slightly to focus on shorter time periods. Hopefully this will get more people engaged in forum activity.

Getafix

@ellis wrote:

So it is possible that you have more than enough thanks to satisfy that criteria for the next 5 ranks. However, you also need posts marked as a correct answer. So that could potentially hold you back. 

Hi Ellis,

You have just added more to the already confused system.

Ok that is completely different to what I understood. I was under impression that all three, Posts/Thanks/Solutions worked together in combination to form the rankings and not all three have to be achieved to improve status.

If that was the case, then it is very easy for you to advise requirement for each Status. How far am I from next Status?

Ellis_VF

Wait!

You are completely correct. Sorry, I was having a bit of brain meltdown yesterday and instead referenced the old way it worked.

The way it works now is that it all feeds into one score pool with a single answer "scoring" more than a single thanks.

Sorry for the slip up there.