cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I keep getting calls about "my recent accident".. How can I escape?

fib_112358
4: Newbie

I receive about 1 call per week on average from a recorded message or call centre about PPI claims or about my recent accident suggesting that I am entitled to compensation... They are nuisance calls and so every time I press "9" or ask to be removed from their database. I also block the numbers on my phone from calling again and I now have over 20 of these numbers in my address book saved as spam and blocked (should I post these number here?)

I now however, get a lot of calls from "unknown"..

How can I get my number removed from these databases permanently to avoid getting these annoying calls?

20 REPLIES 20

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@fib_112358 

The worst thing you could have done was to press 9 to asked to be removed from their data base.

These are automated calls made by a computer to random mobile numbers, by pressing 9 you are only confirming that they have reached a genuine mobile number and you will receive further calls.

The best thing is to simply ignore the call, or delete the text.

tjgray2011
I absolutely hate nuisance calls of this nature and resent vodafone's not acting to block access to their network from any organisation demonstrated to be operating outside of Ofcom guidelines by making unsolicited "cold" marketing calls O&M this manner.

I think you can characterise businesses by association.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@fib_112358 wrote:

How can I get my number removed from these databases permanently to avoid getting these annoying calls?

I have the same issue, mainly on my landline.  It may be worth registering both your landline and mobile phone numbers with the Telephone Preference Service, if you haven't already done so.  It does help to reduce the number of calls that you get.  You can also download various call screening apps so it may be worth looking into some of those. 

PWIAC

jeffkinn

There is nothing wrong or illegal about cold calling. Networks will only block numbers when there is criminal activity involved.

The comment about association is ridiculous - a telephone network is not associated in any way to someone who dials a number on their network. If that were true BT would be associated to virtually every other company and resident in the UK let alone the world.

You cannot get your number removed from databases. All of our numbers exist of hundreds of such databases both here in the UK and overseas. The list owners rent those numbers to marketing companies to 'monetise' their data. These processes are all automated and cannot be stopped or held to account. The TPS might stop some calls but by no means all.

It's one of the unfortunate side effects of the connected world we all live in. Never reply to a call or a text in any way as it confirms a live number and that will only ensure prolonged and enhanced activity from the marketing companies.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

tjgray2011

Not sure I agree here..

If folk have registered with the TPS, why can't vodafone act in partnership to maintain a database of those numbers originating cold calls - and act to prevent them getting through?

[Removed according to House Rules]. Preying on the elderly and the vulnerable. I most certainly think that NOT acting to prevent unwanted access by cold callers to such people where the means exist - associates Vodafone with the consequences

jeffkinn

It isn't up to the network to work in conjunction with the TPS - that isn't how the system works. The TPS works with individual marketing companies and in my experience is quite ineffective.

Just emotional nonsense - as is the idea that someone using a phone network is connected to the company that provides that network. Perhaps I should associate the electricity company that provides the power that re-charges my phone with cold callers? The same logic applies.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

tjgray2011
I think we might agree to differ, Jeffkin.

Whilst I agree that the TPS' attempted partnership with marketing providers is ineffective, I see no logic behind Vodafone who COULD further empower the TPS' efficacy, doing so.

An electrical supply company has no means of distinguishing the intended purpose of its subscribers. Vodafone - with access to the TPS - clearly does.

My preference is not to receive cold calls from marketeers, precisely because I regard them as scum.

hrym

Does the call have a number associated with it, and is it always the same one?  If so, there are various ways, depending on what device you have, to block it.   The simplest could be to add it as a contact and assign it a silent ringtone.  Some of the calls originate outside the UK and don't have a number, which makes that difficult, and also makes it difficult for the network to block them.

I have all my numbers registered with TPS and get very few cold calls, though whether that's good luck or what, I'm not sure.   I have complained to them, but the problem is they have no statutory powers and only really deal with the more reptutable companies that use their database.

Generally, if you ignore calls, they'll give up and move on to a more promising target.  The worst thing you can do is engage with them in any way as all you're doing is to confirm that the number is genuine.

I too, have registered all of my own and my company's vodaphone numbers with the TPS, but we still get 20 or 30 calls between us, every week.  As we work with security companies who frequently withold numbers - we've no choice but to answer all calls.

Hyrm.. when you say "I have all my numbers registered with TPS and get very few cold calls".. does the time that you waste fielding the few that you still get, not annoy the living (removed according to House Rules).