Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile phone battery life

hrym
17: Community Champion

There was a piece on Radio 4's Today programme this morning about Samsung's decision not to include a replaceable battery in the Galaxy S6 and IKEA's announcement of furniture with wireless recharging points.  A couple of experts were wheeled out to discuss the idea that manufacturers were more interested in form factor than battery life.

Is there any truth in this?   Samsung aren't after all, exactly breaking ranks with their sealed-in battery.  Very few manufacturers offer it.  So, do you have a device with a replaceable battery and do you carry a spare, like you used to in the old days when batteries would run noticeably down overnight?   I suspect not, which is probably why Samsung have reckoned it's not a selling point.

Of more interest is their decision not to make the S6 waterproof.  That's definitely rank-breaking, when virtually every other manufacturer is making some kind of noise about it.   Sony have even done away with the rather annoying little flaps on their new tablet.

Wireless recharging is also interesting.   I don't think phone manufacturers aren't interested in battery life, but they don't make them.   A lot of research is going on, but new technologies are hard to find and the electric car industry is driving (pun intented) the field as well.   If a wireless recharging standard could be agreed, it does seem likely (as was suggested on the programme) that such points could be as popular as free wifi.

What's your battery life like?  Does your device last until you get home or do you suffer from the dreaded "five o'clock fade" that used to be discussed when phones were just devices that would make calls (how quaint!).

4 REPLIES 4

jeffkinn

My iPhone 6+ has excellent battery life - the best of any smartphone I've had so far.

IKEA is now selling furniture with wireless charging capabilities built into it. Charging facilities are now becoming quite common in public places, especially airports. There is also a wide choice in portable chargers that can be used to top up batteries on the go.

I feel that manufacturers are very interested in battery life, and the battery saving options that they are now building into their operating systems is a big selling point for them.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

One point that was made on the programme was that you couldn't cheaply change your battery on a sealed unit when it wore out.   But, again, how many people do that?   Does anyone get the the point when they need a new phone because the battery's reached the end of its life?  Yes, there are posts here about it, but that's usually in less than two years and could be due to a fault or allowing it to go flat.

Replaceable batteries tick the sustainability box, but only if people are keeping their phones long enough to get to that point.  Charge-cycle life is now quoted as 1000-2000 times, so that's between 3 and 6 years if you're recharging daily - though there will be a reduction in the amount of charge held towards the end of the period.

my samsung s4 battery life is rubish, i have to rechaege it at least twice a day.

hrym

Take the batttery out and put it on a flat surface.  Can you rock it?  If so, it's starting to swell and has reached the end of its life.   There was an issue with some S4 batteries and Samsung have been pretty good about replacing them, so talk to them direct.

If you've been allowing the battery to go flat, this will have shortened its life, so, when you have a new one, never let it drop below 10%.

If that's not the problem, it could be that the screen isn't turning off (check your settings) or some of the apps are auto-updating too frequently.   Being in an area of poor signal will use more power, too, as the device boosts the radio to improve reception.