Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving to android

Glostafarian1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi all, I have been an iphone user for years and am frankly bored of their overpriced handsets now. I have got my choice of handsets down to the galaxy s5 and the sony xperia z3 or sony z2. Which handset would people recommend for ease of use.
4 REPLIES 4

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi there. Once you get used to android you can easily use any phone that operates that OS in my opinion. The basics are pretty much the same on all handsets.

There is an easy to follow initial set up that the phone guides you through. The one essential is a Gmail/google mail account.

I have had hands on with the Z2, the S5 and have recently upgraded to the Z3. I wasn't keen on the feel of the Z2, the size didn't feel right and I had heard of everheating problems.

The S5 is a great phone with a super camera but felt a bit to "plasticky" for me.

I love the Z3, its a nice size and thickness, waterproof (as is the S5 but not as high a rating) the camera seems great for what I want and the quality of build and materials is great.

S5 or Z3 you won't be disappointed but my preference is the Z3

shinwar
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi Glostafarian1

Like you i was an iphone user for years but got bored of the minimal innovation they showed with each reslease...

i started with an S3 and currently use a z2..... which im very happy with ( mine has no overheating issues!)

any of the phone you've listed will be a great one to use.... it may take you a week or two to get used to the differences between iOS and Android but once you do you'll be flying...

As for which one to choose... it all depends on what you want to use the phone for and how much you want to spend... you can get the Z2 free from £26.50 a month,,,, the samsung from £34.50 and the z3 from £38.50 

Have you considered the Z3 compact? its not as big as the Z3 but the specs are very similar and you can get it from £30.50 .....

One good thing about the sonys is the IP rating ... it's very cool being able to take holiday pic in a pool without worrying about messing your phone up 

the screen quality is awesome too

tahnsk

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

As pointed out, one of the best things about Android is the fact that once you have mastered it, you have so much choice as to which device to get. From budget smartphones to top end premium flagship devices, Tiny compacts to huge phablets.

Is there any reason why you have gone for the S5 or the Z3? What were the features you were most after? I’m guessing it’s a top end model you are going for, so have you considered the LG G3 or the HTC One (m8)? I’ve been using the LG G3 for work for a few weeks now and I can say that I have been massively impressed by it.

Personally I would ask you what the most important aspect is to you. They will all text, call, e-mail and browse the internet in a pretty similar fashion. But it’s the extras you need to look at. For example, Samsung still have a lot of the best accessories to their phones, Sony has the best camera and the inclusion of PS4 gaming.

The good news is that whichever flagship you go for, you are not going to be disappointed. They are all excellent phones.

hrym

I've used phones from Samsung, Sony and HTC on an extended basis.  As has already been said, the user experience and method of operation are basically the same across all the different makes.   There will be subtle differences in the skinning as Android is open-source, but it's hard to recommend one version over another.   Samsung's Touchwiz is quite heavy on the modifications and not everyone likes it, but it's not necessarily a problem.   In terms of slickness and design, I've always been impressed by Sony's implementation.  If you want the raw experience, Google's Nexus range is the one to go for (it's not available from Vodafone at the moment, though).

There have been issues with overheating (mostly when the camera is used for video or extentive shooting) on the Z2 and Sony have said that this is down to the waterproofing, which seals the device pretty thoroughly.   They also say it's been addresed on the Z3, by lower power consumption, I think.  If there's a current model and a previous on, I'd go for the newest if you can justify the cost.

One thing about Sonys that I rather like is the magnetic charging connection.  This means that you don't have to keep opening the charging port (the covers always seem a little flimsy - though perhaps more than they are).  Sony don't make leads, only docks, but you can get unbranded ones that work well.  It's also good in a car - if the phone falls off the dash, the lead just falls off rather than there being a risk of the plug or the socket breaking.

The main thing you'll have to get used to is the customisability of Android.  Just about everything can be set as you like it.  It means a lot of messing about in settings, but you should get the hang of it pretty quickly and, once done, most things can be left alone.  The only thing really is having to do it all over again if you need to reset or if you get a new phone.

I've also been trying out a budget device (the Vodafone Smart 4 Power) and it's as good as the flagship devices, apart from the inevitable compromise on the camera.