Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Scam call?

Waspbite
1: Seeker

Hi,

I just received an automated call from 0333 304 8065, claiming it was vodafone. It asked if I was the account holder and then asked me to confirm my pin. At this point I dropped the call, as this seemed an unusual request from an automated system. I am concerned though as it stated it was important information. Was this a real call from vodafone or was it, as I suspect phishing?

6 REPLIES 6

hrym
17: Community Champion

Googling the number suggests its the Vodafone automated payment number, but I can't see why that would call you.   It's relatively easy to spoof numbers, so I suspect you were right not to proceed.  Anyone asking for a PIN will normally only ask for two the digits, not the whole thing, too.

tjgray2011
4: Newbie
Hi wasp bite.. Cool nickname btw.

Yep, I fell fowl of vodafone's automated services too - and am equally paranoid about identity theft.

Elsewhere, I have suggested that Vodafone instigate a "safe phrase" policy, that any of their services might use in communication with you, so that you can be more certain of the source's legitimacy.

I understand that such "safety words" are commonly used by more emancipated and customer aware providers.

hrym

Generally, be suspicious of anyone who asks for your whole PIN.   Legitimate services will only ask for a couple of digits.

Lolz.. Yep - always happy to raise a couple of digits to anyone stupid enough to cold call me from a number I don't know, and then ask me to "answer some security questions"

veebee
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I just got a call from 0333 304 8065 which I didn't answer, then got a call from a number in texas immediately afterwards. +1(210)249 0540 is that Vodaphone as well?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The first number seems to be an automated bill payment reminder from Vodafone.

The second number appears to be a call from a scam company that claims there is a problem with your computer. 

PWIAC