Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smartphone Market Share

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

We all know that smartphone users tend to get addicted to one flavour of operating system or another. There are not many users who will change from Android to iOS or iOS to Windows etc. As it happens I'm one of those who does change. Having had an iPhone 4 for a couple of years I moved to Android for three years and I'm now back on iOS with the 6+.

But market share is something that interests me and how and why it moves. We've seen the dominance of Blackberry and Nokia come to an end. Microsoft is trying to re-boot its operating system with limited success. 

The latest figures show that in the UK Apple now has around a 42% market share. Android is still largest at 49% but has dropped by 6%. There is a good argument to say that these stats are not like for like as Android is served by a multitude of manufacturers offering different phones with different features and specs while Apple is a single company. Any one got any thoughts on that?

Windowsphone slipped nearly 4% to 7% market share yet it's an excellent OS. Could the networks do more to support Windowsphone to give consumers more choice? Vodafone hasn't even ported its My Vodafone app for Windows!

Blackberry is now below 1%.

And smartphone prices continue to soar. With high prices and such concentration of choice with new phones are we as consumers being well served by phone manufacturers? 

Any comments on that anyone?

Here are a few thoughts for a Sunday morning if anyone is inclined to have a debate about it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

5 REPLIES 5

Nabs
I think Windows Phone is being held back by lack of support. If I could get the basic apps that Android and iOS enjoyed on WP then id be tempted by the switch.
I think where Apple are concerned people started to get bored with the smaller devices. They have addressed that so their market share should remain steady, even increase.
Android is the odd one, as you mention many different manufacturers so customers have a lot more choice when switching. With more choice there does become more complexity and that's Androids downfall

jeffkinn

I've read that Microsoft is working on an Android emulator for Win 10 that would allow Android apps to run on Windowsphone handsets.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thesoupdragon
MS are building a Rom that will allow users of the Xaoimi M4 to duel boot Android and Windows 10.
MS see this as a way to try and break into the Chinese market.
I think that is absolutely brilliant... I have to say as a devoted Android user Im really excited by win10 on mobile, it looks to be everything I wanted Ubuntu Phone to be with total convergence across devices.

Your point about Apple being one company being measured against multiple "Android" companies is a good point. I often think its not a fair measure of market share.
I guess if you look at who makes the components of the iPhone, like LG for example; then I suppose you can quantify a comparison ?

jeffkinn
Perhaps TSD but surely LG and Samsung buy lots of components from other companies as well. Do they make everything themselves?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thesoupdragon
Tbh I don't know Jeff, I doubt they do?