Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

The CES 2015 thread

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)

Is everybody keeping up to date with the latest news coming out of the Consumer Electronics show in in Las Vegas?

It seems wearables have a big presence this year. Two of the most bizarre include the Ring which will allow you to control electronic aspects of your house with just a move of your finger, and Belty, the smart belt which adjusts itself to your position.

I'm also really interested in the new curved phone from LG.

How about you guys. anything standing out for you?

11 REPLIES 11

hrym
17: Community Champion

The Guardian ran a piece the other day about some daft ideas.  My favourite was a (joke) app that tells you whether you're holding your iPhone or not.

There's also a super-fast charger that will recharge a battery in about 3 minutes.  Sounds brilliant, though doesn't fast-charging take a toll on the battery?

63johnw

Apple beat LG to that idea a few months back :smileywink:

Ellis_VF

Is this the charger you are talking about. Looks awesome!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30708945

Ellis_VF

Wait! Hold everything!

Just catching up on the CES stuff and I noticed that there is a SmartWatch app which allows you to summon your car like Knight Rider. I want it!

hrym

Probably, but the link's changed. (also link to BBC).  I can't imagine TWO Beeb links about super-fast chargers, though.  I think it says 40 amps somewhere, which is co-incidentally, the rating of a ring-main fuse, so you'd better turn everything else off (or maybe that's 40 amps at 5 volts, not 240!!!).

Ellis_VF

It seems that every year there are more and more items that can be connected to the internet for reasons. I've still yet to figure out why my fridge and toaster need WiFi connectivity but maybe I'm just falling behind the times.

Now having a kettle that I can get boiling before I walk through the door, thats progress.

63johnw
Its an LG made for Audi, web os I believe @Ellis_VF

63johnw
Toaster ? Not sure, I think I read somewhere that the fridge could "tell you" what you need to buy, must be a smart fridge !

Ellis_VF

The toasters exist, or at least in some sort of weird art type form.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-03/18/addicted-toaster