Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tu Go

bilko2
2: Seeker

Is Vodafone going to do anything like O2's Tu Go?

IE being able to make and recieve calls to my vodafone number over WiFi

Bill

66 REPLIES 66

dsw76

Three customers also have this capability  (Removed according to House Rules)

What's keeping you, Vodafone?

OK my link to the Three website was removed but you'll find their "InTouch" app in the Apple and Google app stores.

Thanks, dsw76 - that certainly makes for interesting reading. Even though, arguably, Three desperately need this due to their 2100MHz-only network (woeful indoor coverage), this does now mean that of the four major networks, only Vodafone are left without a WiFi calling/texting solution:

• O2 - TuGo app
  • Three - InTouch app
  • EE - Native O/S WiFi calling
  • Vodafone - Nothing 😞

I just hope that Vodafone have been quietly working on native O/S WiFi calling which (aside from UMA on pre-OS10 BB) is relatively new on the market, but makes things SO much more straightforward for us as there's no app required - your phone just continues to make/receive calls and texts in the usual way.

Vodafone were entirely on the ball in 2009 when SureSignal was released, and it was appropriate in its day for getting standard 'candybar' phones, few of which had WiFi back then, connected. Let's hope they don't continue to rest on their laurels.

SimonMoore

I register my disappointment that Vodafone are not looking at a similar app.  Vodafone are missing a trick here.

The helpline suggested I use other apps to compensate for lack of signal...

The good thing about TuGO is that your phone number and its contracted allowances are used to make calls and send texts. This means that you are not...

- Showing up as an different number/contact - some people won't answer unless they know who you are.

- Paying for calls to landlines or mobiles through Skype.

- Hoping that the person at the other end uses the same messaging app as you.

- Maintaining a single consistent contact point when in business.

Also, receiving calls - voicemail is not always appropriate - answering the phone at the time of a call can be very important.

I also heard EE are working on a UMA style service where your call/text history will be maintined in the normal place.

I know there are so many ways to configure apps to do what you want but I would like a good phone service.  If you don't make the effort to work well in all circumstances then apps or other networks will eventually overtake (which it looks like they already doing) and you'll suddenly find the rate of lost customers is too great to cope with.

Free cinema tickets, priority bookings, music streaming ...everyone can offer that... just get the phone service working so that you dial - you connect or someone calls - you answer.

If all your competitors are doing it for their customers, why would you not want to provide such a good service for yours. Please do something.

Any news on TuGo equivalent from Vodafone so far? My friend has it and uses it while commuting in tube its excellent!

Good news, we're getting WiFi calling by the end of summer this year, which is actually MUCH better than the TuGo app, as it "just works". You use your phone as normal for calls and texts, and providing you have a WiFi signal, it'll work even when you have no Vodafone signal. As Vodafone WiFi is becoming quite prolific on the tube, it should work a treat.

Here's the Vodafone official press release:
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/configfiles/documents/assets/vfcon059242.pdf

dsw76
Whilst it is good news, your handset has to support it and not many do right now.

True, but despite that, im pleased that Vodafone opted for the better solution of the two.

As more networks worldwide start offering this service, it'll become a standard feature on phones, much like 4G which pretty much every budget phone now supports.

Does anyone know of an 'activation date' for the wifi calling? Just 'the summer' seems so vague.

There must be lots of people who, like me, are due an upgrade but don't want to get a handset that won't work with wifi calling, or find that summer 2015 becomes summer 2016!

Or should I just join the O2 ship!

@Pengy: From previous experience of networks (not just Voda) launching new services with vague dates such as this, the likelihood of getting an exact date is practically nil. A good recent(ish) example is the launch of 4G.

If you're nearing upgrade, consider comparing the cost of the smartphones you like which do and don't have WiFi calling. If there's little-to-no cost difference (or other features you can use right-away justify the extra cost anyway) for the WiFi calling-compatible phone, then go for it, as it means your new phone will support it as-and-when Voda launch, but you won't feel that you've paid specifically for something which you can't use.

As for jumping ship to O2, I think everyone should look around at the competition's offerings before committing to a new deal with their current provider. If you find something better, then it's up to you whether you give Voda the opportunity to offer something better in order to keep you, or to jump ship.