Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

UK Roaming

Nabs
17: Community Champion

So according to the Telegraph we could all soon be roaming accross any of the mobile networks in the UK.

It looks like the government want to make it law to allow you to roam onto another network should your own not be available... good idea or not?

[removed according to House Rules]

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's nationalisation by the back door, which will deter networks from investing. Vodafone are spending £1 billion this year on their network apparently, to entice customers to come to what they would say is the best network ?

There would be no point to this investment if rivals could just piggy back onto it ?

jeffkinn

I agree totally with Laurie - a bad idea that will lead to a lack of investment and less competition.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nabs

@Laurie_dunkley wrote:

It's nationalisation by the back door, which will deter networks from investing. Vodafone are spending £1 billion this year on their network apparently, to entice customers to come to what they would say is the best network ?

There would be no point to this investment if rivals could just piggy back onto it ?

100% agree @Anonymous 

I don't think such a move would be good for the country.
I can understand that systems like this have their place, but the UK has a very competitive mobile phone industry where customers are free to move between providers almost whenever they want, if a network doesn't perform they simply lose customers, to regain that custom they must invest.
Government interference in this process is just going to divert investment away and other countries are quickly going to see better mobile networks than ours

63johnw
As part of my work I have to travel in the Kielder Forrest area in Northumberland, the only network that you can get for many miles in that area is Orange, a system where perhaps partial sharing in a certain area may be a good idea?

Nabs

@63johnw a limited roaming agreement, maybe something where only calls and texts were available to a roaming user... interesting idea. Would still retain an element of competition whilst ensuring coverage for thing like emergency services etc...

M1kos
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Maybe call and txt roaming for a small charge on your tariff but no more.  how would you data roam it would be a costly headache and as said why would network b  bother putting up new masts and investment if network a  has signal there stupid idea anyway we have the MIP program in full effect the government should lean on local authorities to pass planning apps  more quicky thats the way foward 

hrym

Superficially, it's a terribly attractive idea.  The question is whether any network would be the first one to put a mast in a previously uncovered area on the grounds that they'd have all the capital cost with none of the benefit, resulting in the law of unintended consequences and poorer rather than better coverage.  On the other hand, there are virtual networks that seem to co-exist so, if there's a payment model that works for them (and the main networks), maybe roaming could as well.

The other downside might be that, instead of multiple masts covering an area, there'd be only one, meaning that, in the event of failure, all the networks would be down instead of just one.  If you're on that one, of course, it's always 100% of your network.  There'd also be the issue of congestion.   If all the networks were sharing a mast, it would, by implication, have to have more bandwidth (if that's not the right term, I hope you know what I mean) or there'd be a lot of dropped calls and slow data traffic.

Isn't the whole situation the result of Ofcom insisting on networks reaching a percentage of the population, rather than the country?  To to this on the timescale required meant concentrating sites on areas of heavy population - ie towns and cities.   (I believe they've changed that recently, so perhaps some of the netwrks might actually co-operate anyway??)   It's often argued that rural areas are sparsely populated and therefore uneconomic (and that's where voluntary internal roaming might be attractive), but most of these areas also have through traffic, which consists of people who live in urban areas and therefore are economic.  Are networks currently allowed to share masts?

It sounds like one of those answers that's so easy you really ought to be asking yourself, "have I understood the question?"

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Best is to get a Euro SIM Card and Roaming in UK at the Euro Capped Roaming Prices.

Also for Network to Piggy back on other Network could become costly and would mean increase in prices as someone will have to pay for it, and it is always the customer who ends up paying for it.

Nabs

@hrym wrote:
Are networks currently allowed to share masts?

Simple answer, Yes!

Vodafone and O2 already do through CTIL, likewise Three and EE do though MBNL as well. 

There is also the Government's MIP, where the Governement will pay to put up masts in so called 'not spots' on the condition that all networks provide service from said mast.

Lastly, I think all networks, to some extent, make use of Arqiva's extensive cell site portfolio, most recently CTIL signed a 10 year agreement with them for access to their sites.

I don't think finding locations for sites is really the issue, I think it's just another example of someone in the city thinking they know what rural areas need. They should really try visiting before they open their mouths!