Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Voice Activated Assistants

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Mobile phones come with voice activated assistants these days. iPhones have Siri, Windows phones are getting Cortana and Android devices have a variety of options including Google Now.

I now have an iPhone and I do use Siri. I primarily use it in the car with the phone on a holder attached to an air vent and connected to the cigarette lighter for power. I activate the device by saying 'Hey Siri' and, once it has responded, I can instruct the phone to dial a contact, read an unread email or message or compose a new message and send it. It's a very useful function.

Even when I'm holding the phone I'll use Siri to look up certain things for me like the weather, or the time in a specific country of location.  I'll also use Siri to set alarms or timers on the clock.

It can be amusing to ask odd or unusual questions. For instance, if I say to Siri 'I love you!' it replies with 'I bet you say that to all of your Apple products'.

The big downside of all of these voice activated programs is the requirement for a data connection. If you are in an area where the data connection is slow they simply don't work.

The OK Google facility on Android phone and tablets is equally useful and devices that support the Ok Google keywords don;t need to be connected to a power source.

Who else uses a voice activated digital assistant? What experiences do you have with them?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

23 REPLIES 23

63johnw

Sorry for the delay, been a busy week.

Set up Cortana on my work 635 and started the test.

1 Gave me a list of ten Thai restaurants in Stoke.

2 Allowed me to create and insert in my diary a detailed calendar event

3 Asked for directions to the top one on the list, immediatly opened here maps and started voice novigation from my current location.

4 Asked it to calculate  £220 divivded by our people and it workded it out correctly.

5  Cant get it to post to facebook ?

Overall I found Cortana very good, impressed me.

hrym

One thing we haven't looked at is data use.   If anyone has a monitoring app, could they redo the tests and have a look at the amout it reports?   (Hourly analysis should do it).

hrym

I finall threw this at Indigo Personal Assistant on Android last night.   It found the restaurants, created a calendar entry, got directions, would have posted on Facebook/Twitter if I'd allowed it app access and divided the bill.

BandOfBrothers
I occasionally use Siri on my iPhone 6 Plus - when I remember I have he feature to use. 😉

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.