Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

copyright on an advert

samdunlop
2: Seeker

Dear Sir/Madam

I am a teacher development consultant working for the British Council, Hong Kong and would like to use show an advert created by Pixar for Vizzavi accessed via YouTube (example link below) at a workshop for primary school teachers. The workshop is on exploiting multi-modal texts and I’d like to demonstrate how teachers can use short clips such as humorous adverts to motivate the students and get them speaking in English. I plan to show the advert twice

Could you grant me permission to show the advert at the workshop via YouTube? I would really appreciate a response within 5 working days, so I have enough time to form a plan B. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Sam Dunlop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zv9vRz4QYM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I'm afraid that Vodafone can't grant you permission to show this advert as it isn't theirs.  You will need to contact the compnay whose services are being advertised.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

drey_p

Hi there

I'm afraid that Vodafone can't grant you permission to show this advert as it isn't theirs.  You will need to contact the compnay whose services are being advertised.

PWIAC

I thought Vizzavi was part of vodafone?

hrym
17: Community Champion

It is/was, but the copyright is likely to remain with Pixar.   Is there anything on the relevant YouTube page that precludes the sort of use you're looking at?   YouTube content quite often appears on TV here and the attribution is to the channel rather than the creator.

I'm confused. I tried to get permission to use another advert produced by a company called pogo and got this reply

Hello Sam,

Generally you would approach the the Client (company whose product is being advertised). As the Production Company (ex. Pogo) we do not own the rights to the commercial.

hrym

The terms would depend on how the contract was written.

jasebauer

@12hoursessay wrote:

I am a teacher development consultant working for the British Council, Hong Kong and would like to use show an advert created by Pixar for Vizzavi accessed via YouTube (example link below) at a workshop for primary school teachers. The workshop is on exploiting multi-modal texts and I’d like to demonstrate how teachers can use short clips such as humorous adverts to motivate the students and get them speaking in English. I plan to show the advert twice.

I agree with @hrym, the attribution of video clip is to the channel rather, not the creator. You should probably contact the person who posted the video on YouTube.