Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

no more Twitter SMSs

triedeverything
4: Newbie

As from yesterday Voda UK are no longer supporting Twitter sms messaging . I have spoken to Voda live chat and to a rep on the phone but they didn't even know about it. This must be affecting 100s if not 1000s of us. Perhaps if we all complain we can get the decision reversed. I for one will be leaving Voda over it ( as long as the other providers don't follow suit ).

J

43 REPLIES 43

Hi @RugbyGirl 

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy.

The free service has been withdrawn, which is confirmed by this statement from 17 November.

We're not able to provide anymore information regarding this.

Thanks,

Ian

Why doesn't Vodafone understand the crux of the complaint - wiithdrawing a 'free' service is understandable in som einstances.

The problem is Vodafone didn't give a damn about their customers and just wirthdrew the service wihout notice! Even the tax man gives notice before doiing something you don't like/want!

If Vodafone withdraw a free service, have they broken the terms of the agreement you signed?

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

In a word - no. There is nothing in our contracts that obliges them to provide this service for us.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

> The free service has been withdrawn, which is confirmed by this statement from 17 November.

Can somebody please re-post a copy of this statement (the above URL no longer seems to work)?

I'm interested in what the reasons are. Whilst admittedly I don't fully understand the commercials, it's a frustrating move. Came here wondering why I'm no longer getting SMS notifications from Glastonbury's Twitter feed (which I tend to rely on quite heavily around this time of year).

Thought it was an issue with my Twitter account, not for one second did I think it would be Vodafone!

Nabs

@bobpullen the link you posted goes to the following statement

We’re aware some customers may experience issues with a facility within the Facebook and Twitter service, specifically to send free text messages to mobile phone numbers.

This isn’t a technical issue with the customer’s phone or with the Vodafone network. Unfortunately we are no longer able to provide this free service.

There was never a specific reason given unfortunately.

I heavily relied on twitter notification SMSs for updates on road conditions as I travel through areas with no data coverage. Since Vodafone have removed the service I've purchased a device from another network that does provide data coverage and I now use the Twitter app for notifications. 

bobpullen
8: Helper
8: Helper
Yeah, that's a pretty poor show on Voda's part, not even electing to justify it/give a reason. Especially considering that they're seemingly allowing selective texts through like 2FA notices etc. They must have known it would cause some disquiet.

Nabs

There wasn't much more than a couple of forum threads about it to be honest.

The rumours online at the time was that it ws something to do with who was paying for the notification texts. I can only assume that whatever commercial agreement that VF and Twitter signed in 2009 has ended and a new one couldn't be agreed, that's just my guess though.

Hi @bobpullen

All the information we can advise is in the link Nabs has kindly provided you with.

Unfortunately, we can’t advise any further on this.

Thanks,

Sarah 

jeffkinn
What cost is that? Are you serious? Vodafone has invested untold billions in creating and maintaining a network. It has borrowed billions of pounds from the capital markets and is paying millions of pounds a year in interest. Do you think it's right that another commercial organisation should be allowed to use that service for nothing? Why would any company agree to that? I know I certainly wouldn't and even though it doesn't suit me any more than anyone else I completely understand the reasons for cutting off an unscrupulous company at the knees.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png