Support:

Unlocking (NUC)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
cathyks
Accepted Solution

How can i unlock the network on my iphone 4

I just upgrade my handset recently to Iphone 4, but it is used as a christmas gift for my husband. Does anybody know how to unlock the network and make sure it can be used on o2? thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 417 (425,648 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Re: How can i unlock the network on my iphone 4

You will be unable to unlock your iphone if it is part of a subsidy on a contract and it will remain locked to Vodafone until the end of the contract.

If you have purchased the iphone on PAYG paying the full price without a subsidy, you will have no problem getting the handset unlocked.

There is no reason for Vodafone to heavily subside the phone for it to be used on a different network.

Ann
Message 2 of 417 (425,632 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi cathyks,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :smileyhappy:.

The information given by AnnS is spot on, thanks again Ann :smileyhappy:. Further information on network unlocking can be found on the Network Unlock Code page in our Help Centre.

George

eForum Team

Message 3 of 417 (425,534 Views)
vinnu13

Hi George,

I have purchased a PAYG iphone4 about 1 month ago. I tried getting a unlock code but no one has been able to help me out at the store or the custimer care.
they say its not possible.
The unlock code webform doesnot even have the iphone listed in the phone make drop down.
Please help.

Vinay
Message 4 of 417 (425,436 Views)
alsarab

hi

ive iphone 4 as i pought it fom ebay  and ive sime card from vodafone  but now ide like to use me phone abroad how can i do to unlock my iphone to use abroad sim   please help me what way ive to do

thxx

Message 5 of 417 (425,331 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

[ Edited ]

alsarab wrote:

hi

ive iphone 4 as i pought it fom ebay  and ive sime card from vodafone  but now ide like to use me phone abroad how can i do to unlock my iphone to use abroad sim   please help me what way ive to do

thxxx

Using iPhone Abroad

Message 6 of 417 (425,310 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Vinay

All you'll need to do in this instance is use the Contact us page and fill in all of the details it requests. The link for this is under the pay as you go section on the link AnnS provided.

Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 417 (425,214 Views)
deejayad

Just to inform you guys that Vodafone have successfully unlocked my iPhone 4 (Pay as you go) after 10 days of filling out a request form.

Hope this information helps in some way.

Message 8 of 417 (424,437 Views)
nihil ultra

Hi deejayad,

I bought iphone 4 under PAYG plan. Pls guide how to get it network unlocked? One additional issue to my case is that the phone is now in India (but i have a friend in UK if that can be of some help). How to get it unlocked. Pls help.

Thanks in advance.

Nihil Ultra.

Message 9 of 417 (424,095 Views)
AnnS

The phone needs to be in UK for the unlock code to work.  

You are unlocking from Vodafone UK and have to use the code on the network with a UK SIM.

Ann
Message 10 of 417 (424,085 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Re: How can i unlock the network on my iPhone 4

Hi Nihil Ultra,

Just popping on as there's already a solution listed for the original poster, so I cannot set one for you as well - I'll need to just confirm it the old fashioned way.

Once again, AnnS is correct - We can only sent the information we need to over our network, so it wouldn't reach the handset if you're on a different one, for example overseas.

Merry Christmas!:smileyvery-happy:

DaveN

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 417 (424,048 Views)
MankyManning

There is no reason *not* to allow unlocking on a contract. The person is on a contract and Vodafone will receive the money anyway. Why would they care? it is simply inconvenient to the customer to make this arbitrary distinction.

Message 12 of 417 (423,387 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
alan_999

Vodafone are trying to make me jump through hoops in trying to get an unlock code for my PAYG phone.

Vodafone store are saying they cannot unlock it and cannot help.

Vodafone customer service (I am guessing an overseas connection) have my account details, my secret codes et cetera (THEY said they could not proceed without them), but I have not got the proof of purchase (binned with other Christmas paper stuff).

1 mail said I would have to have 19.99 in the account to be able to deduct for unlocking, a following mail said it would cost nothing, the following said I would have to pay. confused?

Stuck in Limbo now because - get this - Vodafone customer service are not authorised to contact Vodafone store...full stop.

I am getting the impression that the local Vodafone store is possibly a criminal front where they don't have to submit accounts/receipts/monies to any other Vodafone named companies because they sure as hell don't exist as far as Vodafone customer services are concerned.

Is it any wonder I want the phone unlocking to be able to go elsewhere - perhaps that's why they don't want to unlock it?

Message 13 of 417 (423,111 Views)
nihil ultra

Hi DaveN,

Just taking a long shot... if i can arrange for a VF UK SIM.. then can the NUC be sent over international roaming network? 

Regards,

Nihil Ultra

Message 14 of 417 (423,074 Views)
AnnS

If you were able to get a Vodafone UK SIM, if you were roaming you wouldnt be on Vodafone UK and the code would not work.

The phone has to be in the UK when the code is used.

Ann
Message 15 of 417 (423,050 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Hi alan_999,

We can get the iPhone unlocked for you. To get more information and to request this, please visit our Network Unlock Code support section. If you have any further problems with this, then please let us know.

Woody

eForum Team

Message 16 of 417 (423,022 Views)
alan_999

Thanks Woody, but to coin a phrase, "Been there, done that,"

I'm being given the runaround because I binned the proof of purchase (which according to NUC directions isn't required?) and now they won't process it without it.

They have all (ALL) of my information of number, IMIE, date of birth, pin code et cetera but it's all no use woithout the proof of purchase apparently.

The original store (warrington vf) say "oh nooooo, we aint ever unlocked iphones so we cant help you"

VF customer service in kuala lumpar or wherever say they are not authorised to contact the store to get the details WTF?

Is the remote team really worthy of the label "Customer Service"?

Message 17 of 417 (423,014 Views)
Tech Team
James

Re: How can I unlock the network on my iphone 4

Hi Alan_999,

Our email teams are restricted to what they can do including contacting a retail store for you.

However I would like to offer the support of the eForum team in getting this resolved for you, so we can do this I will drop you an email, please reply directly to that email and this will then be routed directly to our team.

Once we have this information we will be in touch.

James

eForum Team

Message 18 of 417 (422,997 Views)
alan_999

Thanks James, I had no idea I was dealing with an e-mail team rather than customer services.

The messages from them always include a line of

"Thanks for contacting Vodafone customer care"

From the names signing off each mail I guessed it may have been an overseas company running it but to be honest with it saying customer care I assumed it was actually, customer care for Vodafoen so never imagined they would not be able to access the details in the UK stores?

Strange.

Message 19 of 417 (422,970 Views)
alan_999

Unlocking received - took it to director level and the unlock was miraculously performed within 2 hours.

After receiving the notitifaction you connect your phone to PC and get into ITunes.

then you see a message on screen saying the phone has been succesfully unlocked.

Now to try and get PAC.(? number release?)

Message 20 of 417 (422,633 Views)