Support:

Unlocking (NUC)

Ask a question:
BGK
Rank 1: Guest
BGK
Accepted Solution

How long does unlocking an iphone 4 take?

Hi,

I am on a monthly contract and requested unlocking of my iphone 4 via NUCresolutions. I received a confirmation e-mail that my iphone has been unlocked on 10 October with the usual advice (insert new SIM, connect to iTunes etc). I have done all of this many times but still, whenever I put a new SIM in I get the new carrier displayed shortly and then it switches to "NO SIM" and I get a SIM-related error message. I have been in constant contact with NUCresolutions which ignore all my various questions and simply answer with "Your phone is unlocked", so for them the problem is solved and they offer no further help. And yes, I supplied the correct IMEI number...

I understand that VOD actually contacts Apple and Apple needs to update their database so that my phone gets unlocked. NUCresolutions does not answer to this question but 1) How long can it take for Apple to update the database? Obviously normal mortals like me have to possibility to check directly with Apple on this... and 2) When NUCresolutions says that the iphone is unlocked do they get that info from Apple or does it only mean that they submitted my IMEI to Apple for unlocking?

I would be enormously grateful if somebody from Vodafone would provide answers on those two questions and any help on why I still have a locked phone when NUCresolutions claims it is unlocked. The SIM I use is activated so that isn't the issue either.

Thanks, Ben.

Message 1 of 35 (35,017 Views)
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn

Re: How long does unlocking an iphone 4 take?

The unlock process can take up to 7 working days so it seems that you are right at the end of that period. I don't believe that Vodafone has any insight into when Apple will unlock a particular phone.

The eforum team here can check into the status of your unlock request but they are very busy and only a small team so be a little patient and keep trying iTunes for another day or so.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 35 (35,000 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi BGK,

Thanks for getting in touch. Just to confirm, an unlock request usually takes 48 hours from your submission for us to pass on to Apple on your behalf. This is when we'd email you to confirm. From then, it will take apple up to 7 working days to unlock the phone via iTunes. You'll be told when this has been done via email and you can sync the phone to iTunes with a different SIM in it to complete the unlocking process. 

I know that with the recent release of the iPhone 5, Apple have had a massive surge in NUC requests as people go to sell their old devices so I have seen cases taking up to 14 days instead. We only have information on the status of your unlock up until the point we submit the request to Apple so I'm afraid if the NUC team have confirmed this has been done, there's little more we can now do.

Keep hooking the phone up to iTunes with the new SIM card in it and be sure to keep checking your emails (including any Junk inbox folders) for the heads up from Apple. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 35 (34,884 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

Once Vodafone have asked Apple to unlock the phone it can take from 1-7 working days.

As you say, us mere mortals are not able to enquire of Apple how much longer, you just have to sit and wait.

If it has been more than 10 days though ask a forum mod to look at it for you by posting the reference number in the confirmation email from Vodafone.

Message 4 of 35 (34,864 Views)
BGK
BGK

Thank you, that is helpful as well as the other two replies. Much appreciated and kudos distributed...

One quick follow-up. You mention that Apple will send me an e-mail when my phone is unlocked.

1) Does Apple send the email regardless of whether I connect to i-Tunes or not? Or is this an automated e-mail which is send when I finally connect successfully to iTunes with my new SIM? In the first case there is no point trying until I get that e-mail, right?

2) Which e-mail address is Apple using? The one registered with iTunes I would assume but do they automatically know which IMEI number is connected to which iTunes account e-mail?

Thanks again to all contributers. You have helped a million times more than NUC which seem to have no idea about the workings with Apple since they simply refused to provide an answer to very clear questions.

Cheers, Ben.

Message 5 of 35 (34,850 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

Hi there

The email will be sent to you by NUCResolutions at Vodafone - this will be once they have verified that everything is okay.  Sometimes this email is not sent / doesn't arrive / gets deleted by SPAM filters in the email account.  I would just connect the iPhone, with another Network's SIM card in it, to iTunes every day or so and if it has been unlocked a message will pop up.  If it hasn't you will have a message telling you that the SIM card isn't valid for use.

The email address will be the one you provided when you requested the unlocking.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 6 of 35 (34,847 Views)
BGK
BGK

Thank you drey_p. Just to be sure: On 10 Oct, NUC sent me the e-mail below. I very much hope that the e-mail you refer to is not that one because I am still not able to use my phone with a different SIM. Do you know how the NUC e-mail should look like?

Cheers, Ben.

On 10 October 2012 11:39, nucresolutions
<nucresolutions@help.vodafone.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear Customer,
>
> Reference Number: xxx
> Mobile Number: xxx
> IMEI Number: xxx
>
>
> The iPhone has now been unlocked – Please replace the SIM (use a SIM which has never been used with this iPhone) and connect to iTunes or perform a software restore via iTunes.
>
>
> Kind Regards,
> xxx
> NUC Resolutions

Message 7 of 35 (34,840 Views)
drey_p

Hi BGK - that is the email that I am referring to. Usually a few days after you get the mail, your iPhone is unlocked but as BenH said a few posts up, it is taking a little bit longer than it should as Apple are having to deal with a lot of unlocking requests.

Message 8 of 35 (34,832 Views)
BGK
BGK

OK, so as assumed NUC has no clue and just sends the email out when it has done its part ie sending the info to Apple. There is no follow-up so all I am left with doing is keep on trying to connect to iTunes until it hopefully works. And if it still doesn't work after a month I might have to submit another unlock request and start again...

Thanks to everybody who contributed. Things are clearer now. Still don't understand why I cannot check my IMEI directly with Apple's database which would remove a lot of hassle. That much about user-friendliness of Apple...

Cheers, Ben.

Message 9 of 35 (34,823 Views)
raynals

i am still waiting for my iphone 4 to be unlocked but the number i had it has been cancelled and everytime i phone vodafone up they say one excuse to another ive already done the unlocking thing with vodafone but still no joy any help?

Message 10 of 35 (30,470 Views)
Shepard

Hi, I have been waiting 8 days for my iphone 4 to be unlocked after completing the unlock request form and recieving the email saying it will tack up to 3 days, here is the ref No: #10993302. Could you please check and see if it has been done or that vodafone have actually sent of the form to apple.

Kind Regards

Message 11 of 35 (30,390 Views)
jeffkinn

The eforum team will be able to check the status of your request but the Apple part of the process seems to be taking a long time  - up to 3 weeks. Keep syncing the phone to iTunes with a non Vodafoine sim in it until you get a success message.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 12 of 35 (30,387 Views)
Shepard

Thank you for the quick reply, My brother really needs this old phone. There should be a way to see what progress it is on.
Message 13 of 35 (30,381 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there raynals and Shepard,

Thanks to you both for your posts.

Without an NUC request reference we're unable to chase up the status of your requests.

The NUC request reference is normally 6 digits long. Do either of you have one of these?

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 14 of 35 (30,325 Views)
Shepard

Here is the full email recieved:
(My email Removed for security)
From: nucresolutions <nucresolutions@help.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: 23 January 2013 20:24:22 GMT
To: ***********
Subject: Re: Unlock Code Request Form [#10993302]
Reply-To: nucresolutions@help.vodafone.co.uk

Thank you for your mail regarding your Network Unlocking Code. We will endeavour to respond to you within our specified Service Levels below.
Escalations regarding previous queries will always be given a higher priority and resolved at the earliest opportunity.

Nokia - 2 working days
BlackBerry - 5 working days
Samsung - 16 working days
Sony Ericsson - 10 working days
All other brands - 3 working days

If the manufacturer has to be contacted, this will take longer (7/10 working days).

Kind Regards
NUC Resolutions Team
Customer Service Support at Stoke

E-mail: NUCResolutions@vodafone.co.uk

Vodafone Limited
Registered Office: Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN Registered in England no. 1471587
Message 15 of 35 (30,321 Views)
Rank 29: Mentor III
Magicman13

Vodaofne don't unlock iPhones, what they do is send a request off to Apple to process this. Vodaofne will not be able to confirm when this is actioned but it can take up to 30 days.

What you need to do, when you have received the confirmation that the unlock has been requested, is to wait 7 days, Insert the non Vodafone sim card into the handset and plug it in to iTunes. You will either get a "sim not recognised" messgaed or a "your unlock has been successful" message.

You will need to periodically try this until you receive the latter message which confirms the unlock as successful.

This is down to Apple refusing to allow anybody else access to their software systems.

Respice post te, mortalem te esse memento
Message 16 of 35 (30,317 Views)
Shepard

So if this is true what was the email i recived which is posted above. your reply was no help as others have said this. I am waiting for a vodafone employee to answer and find out what is going on with my request. Please dont be offended but please dont reply if you dont have the exact answer and info at hand that only vodafone have access too. too many people on here are posting the exact same answer to boost their rating.
Message 17 of 35 (30,305 Views)
jeffkinn

There are a million threads on here about unlocking iPhones. They all say the same thing. The explanation given here is perfectly correct. Apple unlocks iPhones on the request of a network and the time it takes is up to them. The network has no influence over it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 18 of 35 (30,302 Views)
drey_p

Just to add to the information you have already been given - typically unlock requests for Apple iPhones take 7 - 10 working days (which is what it says in the email you received) but are often done in a lot less.  There have been a number of reports of late of it taking a lot longer for Apple to action.

The email that you received was the NUC Resolutions team confirming that they have accepted your unlock request and have passed it on to Apple to action.

Message 19 of 35 (30,297 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi Shepard

Thanks for coming back to us. The info provided by jeffkinn & dry_p is correct.

I did try calling you earlier however you were busy, I can see that you were sent a reply to your email today, if you could have a read and reply back we'll assist you further.

Sukhi

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 20 of 35 (30,227 Views)