Support:

Unlocking (NUC)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
byaselli
Accepted Solution

Iphone4 Unlock Ordeal

Hi there,

I have purchased an IPhone 4 from the Vodafone store to use it with my current contract, i would say it was a pay and go but i didn’t not get the new SIM as i wanted it to use it with my current contract, now i want to unlocked, and the experience have been so frustrating and upsetting.  I started this process on 28/12/10 and i still have no unlock code. I don’t understand why this has been so difficult; i have sent over 22 emails! with information you requested and i have still no unlock code... and when i think i have done everything and i need to wait for the unlock code, you send me a new message which send me back to the beginning of the process. i have 2! Unlock reference to prove this NUC ref 5237671 and 5237618.

The process so far has been:

Call Vodafone Customer Services x2  they said: Vodafone does NOT unlock iPhone… period (i asked why and they will not give me any info but kept repeating that this was due to an arrangement with Apple)

Called Apple... they said: there is no contract/arrangement that stated this but they can only unlock it if is requested by Vodafone.

Call Vodafone customer service: they will not unlock Vodafone as they DONT unlock iPhone 4... never will.

sent first email webform: they can’t unlock iPhone (didn’t explain why) and send me a link to the forum on which the first page said: how to unlock the iPhone 4.

Sent an email back with the forum reference, this time they did acknowledge that they can unlock the phone, 22 emails latter…nothing… still not happened.

It seems that this channel have greater success ratio, can you guys please help me?

Message 1 of 32 (6,140 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
bertyb

Re: Iphone4 Unlock Ordeal

There is some real confusion out there with iphone unlocking, and if it wasn't so stressful etc, it would almost be funny, I think that there does not to be some clear information throughout Vodafone about this.

My understanding is that it can be done provided the device is not still in commitment, if it was purchased outwith this, then proof of purchase etc would be needed.

I think a further delay happens as the code is requested via Apple

Good luck

Message 2 of 32 (6,119 Views)
byaselli

indeed, i don’t know if to laugh or cry at this moment, the worst part of this is that i need this for when i travel abroad (South America) which i do very often, i used to have a Blackberry but after the Storm2 fiasco i moved to an IPhone4 and loving every second of it. Vodafone have treat me right until this happened. i don’t want to cancel my account i just want the freedom of being able to use it abroad without roaming charges...

Message 3 of 32 (6,108 Views)
byaselli

How did this get solved?

Message 4 of 32 (6,079 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi Byaselli,

bertyb was spot on - both in the level off confusion and the answer. I'll try and clarify to make it easier for everyone.

The iPhone can only be unlocked when it is not in commitment, so Pay As You Go can request this on production of a proof of purchase for the device along with a £19.99 charge if within the first 12 months of ownership. Until recently, we didn't offer the handset on PAYG, so for some months the position was that we did not unlock these at all, which may be where the confusion has come from.

Once we have that, we submit a request to Apple for the handset to be unlocked. They then update their systems and, by popping in a previously unused SIM and connecting to your PC via your USB cable, iTunes then uploads the unlocked settings, so there is no code to enter like other phones.

From your opening line on the original post, I'm reading that as meaning you purchased the handset via Pay As You Go but wanted to pop in a contract SIM  when using it. Is that correct?

Which provider do you have the contract you want to use with? If it's a Vodafone PAYG phone, you don't need an NUC to unlock the handset to pop in a Vodafone SIM card.

I trust that helps to understand, and if you can just clarify those two questions, we'll e able to say for sure if we can sort this for you.

DaveN

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 32 (6,072 Views)
byaselli

"From your opening line on the original post, I'm reading that as meaning you purchased the handset via Pay As You Go but wanted to pop in a contract SIM  when using it. Is that correct?"

I bought is as a SIM free from a Vodafone store, they changed my SIM to a micro sim and changed the insurance to cover the new handset instead of the old one.

"Which provider do you have the contract you want to use with? If it's a Vodafone PAYG phone, you don't need an NUC to unlock the handset to pop in a Vodafone SIM card."

As i said: i travel to South America often, i need this handset unlocked so i can swap it with another network while I’m abroad.

My frustration comes with having 2 different NUC reference and having my handset still locked for over 2 weeks since the first NUC ref. Also you are closing the thread without solving this issue. all i want is someone who can clarify which is the NUC reference this is being handle and that its being processes... you would assumed that because i have a reference already this would be the case, but then why having a second reference if this was the case.

Message 6 of 32 (6,061 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi byaselli,

Firstly, don't worry, the thread is not being closed. I simply market bertyb's post as the solution for the reference of everyone on the eForum as the information given was correct. As there has been so much confusion, as has been noted, the emphasis on the correct information when it's posted will help everyone.

Secondly, as  I thought, we can help with this. I'm going to pop you an email so we can not only see what has happened with the previous requests but also can get this pushed through if everything is in order. If you haven't provided the proof of purchase or had the funds in place, that may explain why the NUC request has not been completed so far - we'll be able to see as soon as you reply.

DaveN

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 32 (6,049 Views)
byaselli

Thanks Dave, i will much appreciate this, i have provided the proof of purchase twice, one for each nuc reference.

I will await your email.

Message 8 of 32 (6,043 Views)
brennygd

Best of luck with the NUC mate :smileysad:

I have been trying since the 26th Dec to get any sence out of VF to unlock my iphone.

I have had  different answers from every VF c/services i have contacted.  (and I have not being replyed to from the same person twice)

like yourself I have had at least 15 email replys and have even been on the phone to VF for an hour and a half with them promising to let me know the NUC and every time I get a responce it is from a different VF c/services representative asking for the same info as the last one.

I even had a mail of one of the Mods on a thread on here saying that he would help to get the NUC code.

In the email I received from the mod it said that he would be in contact with me untill the NUC code issue was sorted out and VF would be contact me by telephone only to sort out the NUC unlock and guess what, I recieved another email form VF c/services asking me for information I have given VF at least 15 times already.

I don't know what is going on with VF, but for a supposed world wide communication company it sure cannot communicate with its customers very well.

I hope you have a lot of time on your hands my friend because I can assure you you will need it to get any sense out of this lot!!

Message 9 of 32 (6,004 Views)
byaselli

update:

i received an email from VF that said they will have to give me a call because they needed to verified it was really me, fair enough. So far I’m still waiting for the call.

brennygd i feel your pain, hope yours get sorted too.

Message 10 of 32 (5,978 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi brennygd,

Thanks for posting, I can definitely understand your frustration here. I've taken a look through our email system but can't seem to find any emails from our team to you, did you use a different email address previously? Either way, I've just sent you another email so that we can check on this for you. If you reply with all the details then we'll be in touch as soon as we can.

byaselli, I can see from our records that your NUC was requested on 13/01 and that it can take anything from 5 days to 6 weeks to arrive. Once we have it, we'll be in touch with you.

George

eForum Team

Message 11 of 32 (5,924 Views)
brennygd

Hi George,

Thanks for the responce and I have received the email off you regarding the request for my personal details.The email that you have sent is excactly the same email I responded to from the last VF mod on hrere   BenJ   :-

Good afternoon brennygd

To help you further we need to speak to you directly and access your Vodafone account. We're aiming to fix queries for you faster than ever, and so from now on are handling all account specific queries by phone rather than email. We'll be making call-backs between 8am and 9pm. If you're not available at a particular time during these hours, you can specify below.

Please reply to this email with:

– Your mobile number or account number:

– Your alternative contact number:

– Hours you're not available during:

And for security please include:

– Full Name:

– The second and fourth digit of your security code:

– Address including post code:

– Date of Birth:

Once we have this information we'll call you as soon as possible. We'll try and call at least three times, but if for any reason we can't get through, we'll drop you an email to let you know we've called. If it's more convenient for you, you can always dial 191 free from your Vodafone mobile, or 08700 700 191 from any other line.

Kind Regards

BenJ

eForum Team

Vodafone UK.

I gave all my deails as requested and I even put a small note in explaining (again) about my request for the NUC with my iphone EMEI number.

I waited for the call of VF but you guessed it,,,,, I had this instead,

Hello Mr. Bastow,

I understand your concern however, as per the guidelines provided to us you can get your iphone unlocked by any of the options given below:

1. After completing the commitment period ie. after 12th August 2011

2. Paying an ETF of £166.84

3. Getting back with the scanned copy of the reciept for the same. 

I trust this helps.

Kind regards,

Vikas Sharma
Vodafone Customer Services

Having expained in great lengths to every VF C/services dept that my iphone was not part of my contract with VF, I still receive emails as above.

I think my last post about VF not communicating internally with each other in the company or with it's customers confirms this.

Message 12 of 32 (5,910 Views)
Doucy

I've been trying to get an iPhone 3GS unlocked since 1st Dec (well before that, but the first request mysteriously wasn't logged).

The process is a nightmare -- you seem to have a 1 in 5 chance of getting someone in the call centre that knows which route to request it through and then another 1 in 5 chance that the escalated call is actioned.

Considering I used to recommend Vodafone hugely for their service, I'm getting a little disillusioned.

Would be more reassured if Apple themselves didn't say that Vodafone UK are not authorised to unlock them!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

Message 13 of 32 (5,816 Views)
byaselli

update:

6 working days and nothing, im going to call CS and will post more information, by the way i didnt received the call back at all.

Message 14 of 32 (5,789 Views)
ppparmar

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me an iphone 4, although he has a contract with Vodaphone UK, he has paid in full for the phone & gave it to me. There is a Vodaphone network lock on it. how can i get it unlocked so i can use it. Vodaphone is not here in my country.

How can i get it unlocked to work on all networks.

Best regards

Ppparmar

Message 15 of 32 (5,558 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

The unlock code request for the iphone has to be made by the original owner and the code has to be used in the UK whilst on the Vodafone UK network.

You will have to go back to your friend and providing there is no contractual commitment still outstanding on the phone, there will not be any problem getting the code from Apple.

Ann
Message 16 of 32 (5,551 Views)
byaselli

Update:

9 working days and counting, still nothing. i have another network sim to test this and im still receiving the iTunes SIM error. im testing this every morning and evenings. i called VF CS and they just said i had to wait until its done....no ETA no nothing. :smileymad:

Message 17 of 32 (5,483 Views)
brennygd

[ Edited ]

Update:

9 working days and counting, still nothing. I have another network sim to test this and I'm still receiving the iTunes SIM error. im testing this every morning and evenings. i called VF CS and they just said i had to wait until its done....no ETA no nothing. :smileymad:

byaselli

I hate to say it mate, but,,, 'I told you so',,, I've given up trying to get any where with this lot and I am just going too wait untill my contract ends and tell VF to shove there cr#p service where the sun don't shine.

All I wanted to do was get the iphone unlocked so my daughter could use it as I promised she could have it on Boxing day.

I am so fed up and frustrated at the complete incompetence and the stupid hoops you have to go through with VF to be able to use your own property because they (VF) decided to lock my NON CONTRACT IPHONE  to there network.

I could understand if all the other networks did the same thing but it seems only VF lock the iphones and are not very willing to let customers get the iphones unlocked from there network

All the other networks 02, Orange, T-Mobile, will unlock there contract iphone 4's online immediately for around £15 while you are still within the contract period.

To be honest I've have had enough of the VF B###Sh##  because they are so s##t at communicating and listening to there customers.

Message 18 of 32 (5,461 Views)
brennygd

[ Edited ]

The unlock code request for the iphone has to be made by the original owner and the code has to be used in the UK whilst on the Vodafone UK network.

You will have to go back to your friend and providing there is no contractual commitment still outstanding on the phone, there will not be any problem getting the code from Apple.

Ann

Not true, I have been trying to get my NON CONTRACT IPHONE 4 unlocked since the 26th Dec 2010

Message 19 of 32 (5,452 Views)
byaselli

I have to chase this tomorrow, im trying to keep a positive attitude but is very hard with VF customer care. ill give an update as soon as i can

Message 20 of 32 (5,433 Views)