Support:

Unlocking (NUC)

Ask a question:
Tech Team
Tech Team
Kay

Re: Nokia Lumia 520 unlock code

Hi ChristopheCas, 

I assume it will be when the IMEI was first used, this won't be affected by you removing the SIM card. I'm sorry we can't give you a definite answer, as you're aware this isn't something we were aware of until recently. 

James has previously mentioned that if the codes still don't work after 3 months we will escalate this further for you. 

Thanks, 

Kay

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 21 of 283 (7,325 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Bharwood

Can anyone tell me if this three month rule is true. Just received my unlock code from Vodafone to be able to use an overseas card but the process did not work. Spoke with several people at Vodafone and the best that the technical support could offer was to call Nokia ( who don't support the Lumia 520 by telephone ). If this three month rule is correct then it seems it's time to inform the Vodafone customer service staff as well as technical support before taking peoples money.

Message 22 of 283 (6,454 Views)
mattyp

Hi Bharwood,

I purchased my Nokia Lumia 520 from Vodafone in early May, I didn't know you couldn't unlock it until after I received it, I found out that the unlock code would not be available until mid July so was gutted.  It is now mid August and the unlock code is still unavailable.  I have contacted Nokia and they lay the blame with Vodafone, and contacted Vodafone who lay the blame with Nokia, it is a disgrace that these phones are still unlockable on Vodafone, and looks like it could be a conspiricy between the two companies.

Message 23 of 283 (6,426 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

The three month rule is correct and this is something that we are looking to get cascaded again to our front line teams.

As they should now be working, we will need to get it escalated with our NUC teams.

If you contact the team here, we can get this done for you.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 24 of 283 (6,307 Views)
dee1o

hi im new to this forum. i was on holidays 1 month back in uk and i bought 1 nokia lumia 520 but now that im back im my country i found its still locked and im not able to use it. just wanted to know if u can please help me in unblocking the phone. its still on vodafone uk. 

thank u very much

Message 25 of 283 (6,264 Views)
ChristopheCas

My problem is solved, and I can use my handsets right now, after more than 3 months of getting nowhere. I'm very disappointed in the Vodafone Customer Services, but at least I can finally use my handsets now. My advise: just send your handset to the Vodafone headquarters in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire and they will manually unlock your phone.

Message 26 of 283 (6,252 Views)
Tech Team
Andy

Hi dee1o,

Was the phone bought on PAYG? If it was, to unlock the phone will cost £19.99. You’ll need to top up the phone with that amount of credit before the unlock can be processed. You can see the ways to top up your phone here.

If you’re unable to top up the phone, do you have any family or friends in the UK who could do it for you?

Once you’ve topped up the phone, you’ll need to complete the online Unlock Code Request form.

Hi ChristopheCas,

It’s great news that your phone is now unlocked.

I’m sorry that you weren’t happy with the customer service you received.

If you do need any help in the future, you know where to find us.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 27 of 283 (6,130 Views)
Bharwood

Yesterdays response from customer services!!

'As far as the 3 months rule is concerned, we do not have any such updates on this. The customer should be able to unlock the phone if the code and the steps have been provided to them'.

Seems the information cascade is not going so well....

Message 28 of 283 (6,128 Views)
dee1o

thank u so much for replying

i really dunt have anyone that can help me in uk.

do u have an account where i can send u the money and then u email me the unblocking code?

hoping to hear from u soon. dee

Message 29 of 283 (6,106 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi guys,

Bharwood - Did you follow the directions James linked to so we could get this sorted?

dee1o - I'm afraid not. If you know anyone with a UK-issued card, they could top up your number using this form for you - http://vdfn.co/tpup

Dave

Message 30 of 283 (6,042 Views)
vladk

I bought lumia 520 online as PAYG and as soon as received it I made a call to vodafone costumer service to unlock the handset. Today I received an email with unlock code and instructions. I followed all instructions and in the end after entering my unlock code (twice and 100% correct) it still says SIM error and asks me to enter the unlock code.

Message 31 of 283 (5,890 Views)
Bharwood

Yes Dave. Followed instructions given. Wasted too much time on getting no where and have given up on trying to unlock the phone. Thanks anyway on following up on this issue!
Message 32 of 283 (5,879 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi guys,

vkladk - Click here to get us your details and we'll take a look.

bharwood - Don't worry, we're doing the work from hereon out. I've popped you an email.

Dave

Message 33 of 283 (5,820 Views)
Bharwood

Thank you! This has now worked and for info the phone was unlocked outside of the UK with the new code provided.

Appreciate your efforts on this and Vodafone SIM is still used in a different phone!! Just allows me to use the functionality of the new phone whilst overseas without running up huge data charges.

Best regards

Ben

Message 34 of 283 (5,745 Views)
Rachna

Urgent help needed

hello: I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 from Glasgow Vodafone shop while visiting UK. I bought it as a gift for a friend in my country and I thought it will work since we have vodafone here.
I don't even remember what the plan was but it came with some free credit: since I didn't need it, I didn't even keep the SIM card nor do I remember the sim number,

can someone please unlock this fone so I that I can use it here..(out of UK)
Message 35 of 283 (5,619 Views)
Tech Team
Tech Team
Kay

Hi Rachna, 

As you haven't kept the SIM card we're unable to do this as you need to have £19.99 credit to pay for the unlock code. 

If you come back to the UK you can pick up another SIM or if you have friends in the UK maybe they can top up and send a SIM card to you? 

Kay

Message 36 of 283 (5,545 Views)
Rachna

Can I lay by credit card?
Message 37 of 283 (5,515 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

Hi there - you need to purchase a Vodafone UK PAYG SIM card and top up with £20 to cover the cost of the unlocking. Credit card payments aren't accepted.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 38 of 283 (5,504 Views)
kelladey

Bit confused about this 3 months thing.  I have just got a contract Lumia 520 - requested and received an unlock code with no mention of a 3 months wait.  Tried an O2 SIM, but the phone asks for the SIM PIN which I know is 0000, just comes up SIM error and won't let me enter the unlock code. Am I doing something wrong or do i just have to wait 3 months?

Message 39 of 283 (5,443 Views)
tweedie

unlocking lumia 520 sim error

Hello,

I have a PAYG lumia 520, and on the 16th August 2013, I requested an unlock code from vodafone and paid the £20.  Today (4th September), I still haven't received the unlock code email, so contacted live chat team.  They provided me a 20 digit code.  I didn't get the email, but support said to enter the code and press enter.

Inserted a brand new sim card (three network), switched phone on, and I get a message that the "This SIM card can only be used on specific networks.  Contact your customer service center for the unlock code, 10 attempts remaining".  "Enter Pin"

typed in the 20 digit unlock code very carefully, pressed enter, and I get a message "incorrect pin"

number of attempts goes down to 9

typed in the 20 digit unlock code again, and this time I get "sim error".

the number of attempts never goes down.

Tried a few times, rebooting and even another three sim card.

Gave up and contacted vodafone people, and they say its the SIM PIN number of the sim card.  I have never set up any pin code (and nether did it ask for a pin on vodafone sim), but anyway, contacted three network, and they said that there is no sim pin numbers on a unused sim card.

Am I doing the unlock procedure correctly?

Unlock ref (I think): 1015809
Imei: 357...39 (15 digits)
unlock code: 141...373 (20 digits)

Please help!

Message 40 of 283 (5,554 Views)