You are here:

Unlocking (NUC)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Slightly unusual unlocking query

Hi all,

Have a query about unlocking my old (now ceased) Vodafone contract iPhone 3GS. Basically, the phone battery has failed and Apple have advised they will do an out of warranty replacement for a small sum. As I now have an iPhone 4 (on Orange) I'd like to give the refurb replacement to a family member. However, they are on O2.

I have read up on the unlocking process and submitted the webform with the requested details. I just want to clarify what I would like to do is possible and to check I understand the process.

How will I know that the unlock request has been sucessful? The 'old' 3GS doesn't work, so I can't connect it to iTunes to see. Do I get any other notification that the unlock process has been completed?

Also, once I have confirmation that the original 3GS has been unlocked, I then plan to take it to the Apple store and pay for the out of warranty replacement. I presume that as the IMEI of the original phone at this point will show as unlocked in Apple's database that the replacement phone (which a new IMEI) would also?

Hope that makes sense. As I say just want to be clear on the process before proceeding with the replacement option.

Thanks for reading.

Neil.

Message 1 of 3 (3,626 Views)
Rank 36: Scholar V

Re: Slightly unusual unlocking query

The old phone unlock can be finalised by connecting it to ITunes, you will see a pop up message in iTunes confirming the unlock when Apple have processed it. However you need to put a non Vodafone sim it it to complete the process so just buy a £1 non Vodafone sim card and use that when you connect to iTunes

Apple will replace a like for like unit, so once the phone is unlocked Apple will replace it with an unlocked unit.
Message 2 of 3 (3,607 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

Re: Slightly unusual unlocking query

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

The old original 3GS doesn't work and can't be seen by iTunes. Following a quick chat with Apple and Vodafone yesterday afternoon I decided to proceed in getting the refurb replacement from Apple. They confirmed that this would inherit the lock status of the original handset - they swap the IMEI's on their system. Visited a VF store with the new handset and they requested a network unlock via email there and then, so all good.

Thanks again.

Neil.

Message 3 of 3 (3,575 Views)
Help and Support
My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

YouTube help

Unlocking phones (NUC)

Unlocking iPhones (NUC)

Vodafone Trade In