Support:

Unlocking (NUC)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
cranburn
Accepted Solution

unlock iphone 3gs

hi, 

i have recently upgraded to iphone 4s and would like to pass my 3gs onto my friend who is on a different network. can you let me know how i go about unlocking the phone so that she can use my old handset?

thank you

Message 1 of 18 (19,937 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Re: unlock iphone 3gs

Hi there cranburn,

Congratulations on your upgrade.

If you wish to unlock the 3GS then please fill out the Unlock Code Request Form.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 2 of 18 (19,880 Views)
ben899

Hi, I've just bought an iPhone 3gs off a friend who had it with a pay monthly deal with vodafone and upgraded to an iPhone 4. I'm wanting to unlock this but I'm not sure which method to use?

Would this phone be classed as a PAYG because he's not using it with his contract sim anymore or is it still classed as pay monthly?

Message 3 of 18 (16,619 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

ben899 wrote:

Hi, I've just bought an iPhone 3gs off a friend who had it with a pay monthly deal with vodafone and upgraded to an iPhone 4. I'm wanting to unlock this but I'm not sure which method to use?

Would this phone be classed as a PAYG because he's not using it with his contract sim anymore or is it still classed as pay monthly?

If the phone was supllied as a PAYG phone then you need to have a £20 credit on the sim and then fill in the NUC form for Vodafone to submit the unlock to Apple.

Whether or not someone uses the phone with a contract sim does not make any difference to the phone's status.

Message 4 of 18 (16,602 Views)
ben899

Well the guy I bought it from got the phone on contract originally, does this mean he will have to unlock it using his contact sim card?

Message 5 of 18 (16,581 Views)
kids

Yes. A contract phone can only be unlocked by the original owner. So your friend must complete the unlock form using his own account details and his own emai address.
Message 6 of 18 (16,568 Views)
ben899

Ok thankyou! So just to clarify; He will need to put his sim card in this 3gs, then get the IMEI number, then fill out the form, wait the 3 working days untill he gets the email, then put his sim back in the 3gs and unlock by connecting to iTunes and using the unlock code given?

Message 7 of 18 (16,519 Views)
kids

He will need to put his sim in and use the phone so that the IMEI shows the phone on the network. Fill in the NUC form Wait up to seven working days (try it each day after 3 days) and insert a non Vodafone sim in the phone then connect to iTunes. The unlock is processed through iTunes, there is no unlock code. When the unlock is complete a pop up in iTunes will congratulate you on your phone being unlocked.
Message 8 of 18 (16,514 Views)
ben899

So will they guy have to use the phone untill it is unlocked?

Also is it not possible for me to put a PAYG sim in and top up £20 and then fill the form to unlock it?

Sorry for all the questions, I know nothing about this kind of thing though.

Message 9 of 18 (16,510 Views)
kids

When the NUC. Is submitted Vodafone check the account the phone is registered to and only that person cn request the unlock. The IMEI has to be active on the network when Vodafone check the details. Putting in a PAYG sim and sticking £20 on it will not help as you say is is a contract phone not a PAYG phone. You can certainly use it but it will not alter the unlocking requirements. I would imagine, but it would take a mod to confirm it, that once the unlock request has been accepted your friend need not continue to use the phone. Any email from Vodafone will be sent to your friends registered mail address that Vodafone hold.
Message 10 of 18 (16,490 Views)
ben899

Ok thanks, you've been a massive help! How would you go about getting a Mod to confirm?

Message 11 of 18 (16,485 Views)
kids

When a mod looks at this board they will see your query and reply.
Message 12 of 18 (16,483 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi ben899

Thanks for your post. As kids states it would be the original owner of the iPhone who would need to request the unlock. As long as he has previously used the phone with the Vodafone SIM card in and we can prove he purchased the phone from us we'll be able to arrange for the phone to be unlocked. 

Thanks

Simon

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 13 of 18 (16,397 Views)
ben899

Ok, just one last thing I need to ask, does the person I bought it from have to sign in to his iTunes account on the phone?

Message 14 of 18 (16,225 Views)
kids

No.

Once the unlock has been processed by Apple you can connect to any iTunes account. When you do so you will see the congratulatory message that your phone is unlocked.

Message 15 of 18 (16,215 Views)
TRB
TRB

I have just been given an Apple 3GS iPhone which was on a Vodafone contract, my friend has now upgraded. As I need to use it on a different network I need to get this iPhone unlocked. I asked my friend to contact Vodafone to get this done, he gave them the IMEI number and obviously his account number, they said it should be unlocked within 48 hours. They eventually came back and said the IMEI,s don't match up, obviously they won't now as he has upgraded to a newer phone. He also told me that Vodafone said that if I take the phone into an Apple store they can unlock it, surely this is not correct, I thought only the original contract owner can get it unlocked ? Could you please help as we seem to be going round in circles. Many Thanks
Message 16 of 18 (6,986 Views)
kids

The IMEI of the old phone would still be recorded on his account but the phone may have been replaced by Apple at some stage and the information not updated. Your friend will need to contact Vodafone if that is the case and provide details of the exchange.

You are 100% correct in saying that Apple will not unlock a phone, only the original owner can make that request through the network.

Message 17 of 18 (6,970 Views)
TRB
TRB

Many thanks
Message 18 of 18 (6,923 Views)