Rank 2: First Poster
JulianPeterEdwards
Accepted Solution

Vodafone 4G will not work on iPhone 5

Message 1 of 58 (34,736 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
GavinKemp

Re: Vodafone 4G will not work on iPhone 5

Hopefully this will change in the future.....

Part time Vodafone customer, Full time Blackberry & Apple beta tester and iOs Dev....
Proud iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 3 owner :smileyvery-happy: Follow Me On Twitter: MaxdMerc
Message 2 of 58 (34,506 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that it won’t work on the spectrum bands in Ofcom’s 4G auction, but it will be the fastest iPhone on our 3G network as it supports the Dual Carrier feature.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 58 (34,417 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
figo_rulz11

Can you explain this dual carrier more please? When will dual carrier be live and running on the vodafone network to work on the iphone 5 by end of this year? What will the icon appears as on the iphone? What sort speeds can we get with dual carrier?
Message 4 of 58 (34,222 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
boydyboydy

So is it the case that if you get an iPhone5 it will *never* be able to use Vodafone's 4G network?

I had read that Apple had gotten round this issue in the US by releasing a network specific model that was adapted to use the correct frequency for LTE for that carrier.

I don't suppose that would be any comfort to anyone who's pre-ordered a phone that will never work to it's full potential though, and paying for services they will never use.

Please tell me I'm wrong and Vodafone are going to fix this...

Message 5 of 58 (34,090 Views)
Rank 35: Scholar IV
grolschuk

There is nothing VF can do to fix it.

Mobile phones work on various frequencies.

The ones put aside for 4G in the UK are not the same as 4G in the USA, as it is already being used for voice traffic here. Voice in other countries use other bands.

Hence seeing dual/tri/quad band stats on mobile phone spec sheets, to show that voice calls will work in various locations that use different frequency bands.

EE have some spare capacity (I guess because they have both Orange and T-Mobile's allowance to play with) so are able to use that to provide 4G on the frequency that iPhone5 uses.

For everyone else, it will need to wait for another model to work with the frequencies that are going to be available in the UK... and by the time the networks are up and running, the 5s or 6 will be out and 'hopefully' equipped to cope.

At least the higher speed dual channel 3g will work with it though, and that is faster than most home broadband connections. (once the network supports it)

Message 6 of 58 (33,917 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

Gloschuk is spot on here and unfortunately I can’t give any specifics in regards to areas where the updates will happen and what speeds can be excepted as they haven’t been implemented yet.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 58 (33,900 Views)
oris

Hi all

thanks for the advice on the 4G so i might as well cancell and decide if i should move networks or just sit and wait not worth upgrading

Message 8 of 58 (33,883 Views)
oris

Can see Vodafone losing a lot of customers over this, just not fair what ofcom have done here

Message 9 of 58 (33,863 Views)
bigphilps

I have just joined this forum, I was just about to order a new iphone 5 on Vodafone. Are Vodafone selling a de-specced iphone5 or is it the same phone but locked to a non 4G network. Im worried that these phones may be all but worthless in a couple of years when my next upgrade is due.

Although I have been with Vodafone for years now, Im seriously thinking about switching to Orange/T-Mobile & then to EE. From the reports it looks as though Ofcom have stuffed everyone apart from EE.

Message 10 of 58 (33,257 Views)
Rank 35: Scholar IV
grolschuk

A day or so late, but...

Yes the phones will be the same.

They work on 1G 2G 3G and 4G (where available) and all systems inbetween

If you are looking at cancelling and moving to EE for the new super duper service consider the following.

Do you live in one of the dozen citites, in one of the few zones within the said city, that will have masts and service available.

If yes, then EE is a great option and hope your 'faster than home broadband' speeds work well for you.

if not, then 4G will not be with you any time soon, and EE will still need to bid for and use the non-iphone5 enabled frequencies for the rest of the country in 18 months time when VF and O2 get their bids and allocation.

3.5?G (dual speed 3g) looks to be coming quicker than 4g, and that is still quicker than most people's 8mb adsl connection at home, so a lot of hype over nothing, since the IP5 can handle that.

Message 11 of 58 (32,777 Views)
Mdubya

James you might want to tell you front-end retentions guys this as they are utterly oblivious to the fact and are in fact telling lies (probably unknowingly) about this and this is the reason I am moving on.

I've hung on for the iPhone5 (have the 4 on Voda) since January and aside from it being utterly disappoinitng, the fact that it doesn't have the hardware built in to support 4G on Voda and O2 really seals the deal for me. So I'm moving to an S3 or OneX but on another network as your Voda customer loyalty upgrades are non existent and I get better deals on 'brand new customer only' terms with other Networks.

Sad to say goodbye to 16 years of Vodafone service.

Message 12 of 58 (32,495 Views)
Mdubya

[ Edited ]

Even the chat guys are lieing.

Message 13 of 58 (32,487 Views)
Mdubya

voda_lies.jpg

Message 14 of 58 (32,481 Views)
MrGunz

[ Edited ]

Please see the reply I had from Vodafone below, how come one company employs so many liars?

Hello Christian,

Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Services.

I would like to inform you that you will be able to use the 4G services in your iPone5 once it will launch. Hence you need have to buy anything else or have to upgrade it again.

I trust the above information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Yesha (surname removed for security)

Vodafone Customer Services

We hope you have found our Email Customer Service helpful and convenient.  To contact us please click  'here'.

Thank you for being a Vodafone customer and I hope you enjoy all that Vodafone has to offer.

Vodafone has logged your email address in case it needs to contact you about other matters relating to your account.  It may also be used for marketing purposes - you will soon receive an email explaining this and how you can opt out.

Message 15 of 58 (31,733 Views)
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Tom

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if you feel misled regarding iPhone 5 and 4G with Vodafone.

It's never our intention to misinform any customer about a product, and the correct information about iPhone 5 and 4G has been visible on the forum for some time.

As we have the adviser's name, I've fed this back to the relevant department who will ensure that the correct answer is given in the future.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. If you've purchased an iPhone 5 from Vodafone hoping it will work with 4G, then you'll still be in your seven day peace of mind period and are able to return the handset without penalty.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 16 of 58 (31,630 Views)
thelumpster

i would like to add that i too have been lied too explicitly by a vodafone employee named Ian over the phone who told me that vodafone would definitely get 4G and it would definitely work with the iPhone 5 in the new year.  I was also told by a staff member in the Falmouth Vodafone banch that NO networks would work with the iPhone 5 anywhere in the UK at any point. I feel sorry for vodafone as they have been unfairly treated by OFCOM, but they way they are lying to get a sale in despicable.

Message 17 of 58 (30,923 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there thelumpster,

Thanks for letting us know about this.

If you'd like us to investigate then please follow the instructions in the PM I've just sent you and we'll be in touch.

Your PM inbox is here.

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 18 of 58 (30,665 Views)
superjessica

Dear Tom and Lee,

Thank you for taking onboard some of the complaints here. I cannot believe that some of vodafone employees would sink into the lowest lies to make a sale, and I cannot believe that I fell for it today.

I walked in to a vodafone shop in Richmond today and was served by David. I wanted to get the £42 deal on 32 GB (£149 upfront) but was hesitant about the 4G issue. He convinced me multiple times that once vodafone goes with 4G, my iphone5 will be updated automatically and I will be on 4G without having to do anything.

It's probably very stupid of me, but I believed him; simply because I do not believe that he would lie to my face. I made the purchase and now I feel like I have been cheated. I have been with vodafone since I first got a mobile phone and although other networks often have better deals, I have stayed loyal to vodafone and was never swayed to change provider until now.

This is an unethical practice and I sincerely hope that I can get a refund.

Regards,

Jessica

Message 19 of 58 (30,077 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
jeffkinn

Message 20 of 58 (30,048 Views)