You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
richardbduk

Vodafone not so 4G after all.

I have a Vodafone 4G Red contract which supposedly should be 4G on all my devices. But Vodafone have their systems configured so that only one of the devices can operate in 4G mode (that being the phone), the other devices (iPad air and a dongle) are only permitted to connect in 3G mode. So no chance of using up my data allowance of 10 GB per month then.

Message 1 of 14 (1,210 Views)
richardbduk

Sorry but all of our customer service reps are tied up on other calls at the moment.

Well no wonder. Given the number of times you have to keep calling them back. It's like talking to robots that have a very limited vocab. When they don't understand what your talking about, they go into scratched record mode. That is they just keep repeating the same thing over and over again.

Probably only have three days of training.
Message 2 of 14 (1,242 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
logic101

Re: Sorry but all of our customer service reps are tied up on other calls at the moment.

If your calling after 8pm, then they are closed. You could try using livechat? They are 24/7
Message 3 of 14 (1,239 Views)
richardbduk

Re: Sorry but all of our customer service reps are tied up on other calls at the moment.

We'll, if I'm calling after 8pm, if their closed, why don't they say their closed?
Message 4 of 14 (1,234 Views)
logic101

Don't know, just letting you know :smileyhappy:
Message 5 of 14 (1,229 Views)
richardbduk

It must be a bit like their 4G, their trying to pretend their providing a service, which obviously their not quite.
Message 6 of 14 (1,225 Views)
logic101

If you go on the contact us page on their website it says they're only open until 8pm, that's where I found out from. Live chat is also available there so might be worth giving them a try :smileyhappy: unless it's a phone query, in which case I might be able to help on here.
Message 7 of 14 (1,223 Views)
logic101

Re: Vodafone not so 4G after all.

Are you trying to tether from your 4g plan? If so, are you creating a hotspot?
Message 8 of 14 (1,198 Views)
richardbduk

Perhaps they should have an automated message that says we're closed, but you can go to the online chat service at www.....

Just pretending that their busy, when actually they've all gone home. Well you'd be forgiven for thinking that if they were having an attempt at a joke, that that's another department that could do with some improvement.

Anyway tomorrow is another day. And I try in the morrow. But out of hours or not, it always takes a lot of calls to get to the solution - satisfactory or otherwise.
Message 9 of 14 (1,220 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

That isn't quite correct.  The call centre is open from 0800 - 2100 daily for all customers.  If you are on a Vodafone Red plan, the call centre is supposed to be available 24 hours a day!

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 10 of 14 (1,201 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi richardbduk,

As logic101 has suggested, it's not exactly clear what you're trying to do. A little more information will help us get this sorted.

4G plans give 4G speeds to:

- Any 4G-compatible device with the relevant SIM card inserted

- Devices, even non-4G compatible ones, tethered to the one using the SIM card.

When tethered, it will show as a Wi-Fi connection rather than a 4G connection as you're not connecting directly to the network.

What devices are you trying to use, and are you tethering them or using the SIM card in each?

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 14 (1,160 Views)
richardbduk

In the end customer services came clean (we're talking of about an accumulated on the phone time of about 3 hours to customer services and so called technical support before they did finally come clean) and told me outright that the iPad SIM was blocked from connecting in 4G mode. I can swap the SIMs over between my iPad and iPhone, and use the iPhone SIM to get a 4G connection on my iPad. As for the dongle it won't take any SIM other than the old size type.
Message 12 of 14 (1,129 Views)
richardbduk

In the end customer services came clean (we're talking of about an accumulated on the phone time of about 3 hours to customer services and so called technical support before they did finally come clean) and told me outright that the iPad SIM was blocked from connecting in 4G mode. I can swap the SIMs over between my iPad and iPhone, and use the iPhone SIM to get a 4G connection on my iPad. As for the dongle it won't take any SIM other than the old size type.
Message 13 of 14 (1,127 Views)
richardbduk

Hotspots means using Wi-Fi connectivity. I'd read Hacking Exposed (Mobile edition) before you go and Wi-Fi your mobile gear together. Tethering in the 4G Red sense is not the same as tethering in the traditional sense. The 4G Red plan tethering means that your data allowance is shared across your devices as they use data over the cellular network. It makes no difference to Vodafone whether you tether via Wi-Fi or cellular, the data ultimately has to travel over the cellular network what ever way you cut it.
Message 14 of 14 (1,122 Views)