Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3 SS's, none of them working

MarkRoper
4: Newbie

Hello

I have 3 Sure-Signal 3 devices, in 2 buildings (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs in one of the buildings). Today none of them are working when they've all been working before.

Hopefully the following information will help :

Serial Numbers:

Speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3397175424

Pingtest:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/95177101.png

Traceroute:

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.10.254 (192.168.10.254) 0.581 ms 0.330 ms 0.325 ms
2 213.218.196.201 (213.218.196.201) 1.574 ms 1.267 ms 1.199 ms
3 213.218.194.150 (213.218.194.150) 4.030 ms 3.664 ms 3.660 ms
4 88.215.57.238 (88.215.57.238) 168.729 ms 3.922 ms 3.818 ms
5 ge-1-2-7.mpr2.lhr3.uk.above.net (94.31.50.205) 3.947 ms 4.056 ms 3.847 ms
6 xe-10-0-0-xcr1.lsw.cw.net (195.2.22.221) 4.010 ms 3.942 ms 4.016 ms
7 ae12-xcr1.lns.cw.net (195.2.28.26) 4.075 ms 4.214 ms 4.146 ms
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Another update:

I now have S/No. 40134647029 working on my leased line.

Our ISP actually provides us with 5 public IP addresses, so I used the features of my router (a DrayTek 2920) to use one of the other IPs and point it at the Sure-Signal device, and open the relevant ports on that interface.

I think fundamentally the Sure-Signal is simply not compatible with our network, and by effectively putting it on it's own separate network it now works.

The 3rd device I've never managed to get working, and when I tried last week to get it working using the same trick of using a separate dedicated IP the 2nd SS stopped working, so I undid those changes.

I now have 1 SS working in one building on a BT landline, a 2nd working in the other building on a leased line, and a 3rd that will now collect dust on my shelf.

Moral of the story, these devices are not for business use. If you do anything even remotely business-y on your network these things don't want to know. If you're a business user reading this, save yourself my weeks of heartache and change your mobile provider instead.

View solution in original position

26 REPLIES 26

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi MarkRoper,

Those figures all look fine, although step 4 in the Traceroute seems to fluctuate quite wildly.

To get a better idea of the problem, we need a better idea of the set-up you're using:

- Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)

- Are they all using a single internet connection?

- Are they all connected via physical cable to a router or switch?

- If you unplug two, does the third start working?

Dave

We're on a fibre leased line (10Mb up and down) supplied by a company called Gamma, although it was BT engineers that came and did all the work. All 3 devices are connected to the Internet via this line, but we have 2 buildings connected by a fibre point-to-point 100Mb line, with the router for the Internet connection in one and 1 of the devices in the other building.

They're connected via our Cat5e network, i.e. plugged into wall sockets that run back to a switch that's connected to the router etc. Internet access is no problem for anything else, just these Sure-Signals.

I'm a bit confused about what lights should be on though. They all have a solid red bar on the left, and the 2nd and 3rd lights are solid white. The 4th light is not lit up at all. I understood the 4th light comes on when a call is in progress, but one of our employees has one of these devices at home and he says his 4th light is on all the time.

I will try plugging one of the devices straight into a LAN port on the router, just to see if it's our network causing the issue.

Hi Markroper,

When the Sure Signal is setup and waiting to be used for a call you will see a solid power light with solid white internet and in service lights. 

When it’s being used, you’ll see that the in use light comes on.

Are the phones getting a 3G signal from the device when they're in range?

James

In that case ours are waiting to be used, but we can't get a 3G signal on them, at all. This is with several phones, including brand new iPhones and other 3G smartphones, even standing a few feet from the device, nothing happens, the 4th light doesn't come on and we don't get anything on the phone.

When they were working a few days ago we got 4 bars and a 3G indicator on the phones, now we get nothing.

It just seems too coincidental that 3 devices decided to stop working at the same time. ????

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Markroper,

I must admit that it’s strange to see all three units stop working at the same time unless it’s related to the internet connection.

Who is your internet provider?

Also, can you try a factory reset on the Sure Signals to re-establish the setup procedure?

Reset your Sure Signal:

-Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.

-Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.

-Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

James

Already told you who our internet provider is, and lost count of the number of times I've reset them, unplugged them, plugged them back in etc.

One positive thing today though is that one of them decided to work, the one in the building that only has one device.

If I have 2 devices in the same building (but different floors) could they be conflicting with each other? I currently have different users assigned to different devices to hopefully prevent that, but could they be interfering with each other's signal?

Hi MarkRoper,

If the boxes were almost on top of one another or right next to other electrical equipment, there may be a small amount of interference.

I wouldn't expect enough to stop both working, though.

Which of the three serial numbers is working now?

Also, if you try the other Sure Signals in different sockets, does this help?

Dave

OK, I've gone about this in a rather more methodical way now. Having spent hours and hours trying to sort these out I decided to go back to square one and start again.

I've got all 3 devices in my office, I've assigned them all static IP addresses on our DCHP server. I've plugged them in 1 at a time and confirmed they all appear on the network (I can see them in the DCHP lease list and I can ping them).

Using various iPhones I've got S/No. 40134647029 working, and it seems stable so far.

Plugging the other 2 devices into the same wall socket that works for 40134647029, using the same cable, on the same network and same internet connection, I get the first 3 lights on solid, I can ping them on the network, but I get no 3G signal from them, with any phone.

Can I please have replacements for 40132622537 and 40134709928 ?

Please don't ask me to do traceroutes or open ports or ask me who my ISP is etc., a) done all that and b) I have a working Sure-Signal on a network that 2 others won't work on. It's got to be the Sure-Signals.

Hi MarkRoper, 

We need to make sure there is definitely a fault with the Sure Signals. 

If you try them at a different location we can determine where the issue lies. 

We're unable to arrange replacements but we can arrange a repair for you.

Thanks, 

Kay