Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3 SS's, none of them working

MarkRoper
4: Newbie

Hello

I have 3 Sure-Signal 3 devices, in 2 buildings (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs in one of the buildings). Today none of them are working when they've all been working before.

Hopefully the following information will help :

Serial Numbers:

Speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3397175424

Pingtest:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/95177101.png

Traceroute:

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.10.254 (192.168.10.254) 0.581 ms 0.330 ms 0.325 ms
2 213.218.196.201 (213.218.196.201) 1.574 ms 1.267 ms 1.199 ms
3 213.218.194.150 (213.218.194.150) 4.030 ms 3.664 ms 3.660 ms
4 88.215.57.238 (88.215.57.238) 168.729 ms 3.922 ms 3.818 ms
5 ge-1-2-7.mpr2.lhr3.uk.above.net (94.31.50.205) 3.947 ms 4.056 ms 3.847 ms
6 xe-10-0-0-xcr1.lsw.cw.net (195.2.22.221) 4.010 ms 3.942 ms 4.016 ms
7 ae12-xcr1.lns.cw.net (195.2.28.26) 4.075 ms 4.214 ms 4.146 ms
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Another update:

I now have S/No. 40134647029 working on my leased line.

Our ISP actually provides us with 5 public IP addresses, so I used the features of my router (a DrayTek 2920) to use one of the other IPs and point it at the Sure-Signal device, and open the relevant ports on that interface.

I think fundamentally the Sure-Signal is simply not compatible with our network, and by effectively putting it on it's own separate network it now works.

The 3rd device I've never managed to get working, and when I tried last week to get it working using the same trick of using a separate dedicated IP the 2nd SS stopped working, so I undid those changes.

I now have 1 SS working in one building on a BT landline, a 2nd working in the other building on a leased line, and a 3rd that will now collect dust on my shelf.

Moral of the story, these devices are not for business use. If you do anything even remotely business-y on your network these things don't want to know. If you're a business user reading this, save yourself my weeks of heartache and change your mobile provider instead.

View solution in original position

26 REPLIES 26

Slight update.

I see users being advised to de-register / re-register their devices, so short of answers from this thread I tried that with 1 of the 2 devices I have that don't work.

The 1 that was working stopped!

(and I checked, double-checked and triple-checked, I definately de-registered the right one)

This could be coincidence though because un-plugging the 1 that doesn't work and pressing the reset button on the 1 that did work brings it back to life.

So I'm back to 1 working Sure-Signal and 2 that appear to connect (1st 3 lights solid) but don't give a 3G signal (on phones that do get a 3G signal from the 1 that does work).

Can I either have replacements for the 2 that don't work or my money back. I've spent something in the region of 20 hours on this, I'm not wasting any more time on it.

edit: Kay, didn't see your reply before I posted ....

What do you mean by try at a different location, you mean a different postcode?

I assume you did mean at another postcode because you can't mean at another location in the same building, I've already told you a location at which one of my Sure-Signals work the other 2 don't, so, assuming you mean another postcode ...

I've taken 1 of the faulty SS's home with me, 8 miles away, different postcode, Virgin media internet, changed the postcode on the website, made sure all ports that need to be open are (not that that makes any difference in my opinion), still getting 1st 3 lights on solid, still not getting a 3G signal.

Just for the fun of it here's some new data for my home location.

speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3410927296

pingtest: http://www.pingtest.net/result/95446858.png

trace route:

C:\Users\Mark>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms KENNET [192.168.1.1]
2 7 ms 6 ms 8 ms 10.27.180.1
3 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms cmbg-core-1b-ae2-2646.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.201.225]
4 12 ms 19 ms 12 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.163.145]
5 13 ms 14 ms 13 ms popl-bb-1b-et-710-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.175.58]
6 19 ms 15 ms 15 ms m606-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.94]

7 19 ms 20 ms 20 ms xe-1-0-0-xcr1.lsw.cw.net [166.63.211.129]
8 * 21 ms 19 ms ae12-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.28.26]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.

Hi MarkRoper,

We meant to try the Sure Signal at a different location, with a different postcode and a different ISP.

As Kay has mentioned, we can exchange a Sure Signal, but you can arrange a repair.

Thanks.

Ian

I have tried them at a different postcode with a different ISP (not that it should make any difference because one of them works at my current postcode with my current ISP).

I'll arrange for them to be repaired.

Hold that thought ...

It's just been brought to my attention that the 3 Sure-Signals I have were acquired in different ways.

The 1 that works was purchased from a company called Intercity, who manage all our comms (mobile and landlines) and who effectively deal with Vodafone on our behalf.

The 2 that don't work were purchased off the Vodafone website.

All 3 were registered, by me, on the Vodafone website, and although I followed links supposedly to the "business" side of the site it actually takes you to the "personal" side anyway when it comes to registering Sure-Signals.

So, could it be that the 2 that don't work are not working precisely because Vodafone considers them "personal" devices associated with a "business" account?

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

I have my business ones direct from vodafone and they work ok, so can't think that would be an issue.

The VM router at home... turn the port forwarding off that isnt needed, but you do need to allow IPSec passthrough on the superhub. You can find the setting in and around Security -> Firewall

Does anything else on site use VPN? Or has the router been changed between the point that all 3 were working to the point you are at now?

If you remove the DHCP reservation for the device that is working, and just leave it to pick up its own address, does it still work?

If you put one of the non-working ones onto the address of the working one, does it kick into life?

I'm not interested in getting them to work at home as that's not where they'll be used, and it's difficult to test anyway because I get a good 3G signal at home.

I've tried static and dynamic IP's, makes no difference.

There was never a time when all 3 worked. 1 has worked fairly well, another 1, I think, briefly sprung into life, the 3rd has never worked, but to be fair it's difficult to say with certainty. We've just moved into new offices with no Vodafone coverage and in the 1st couple of weeks I was fire-fighting many other issues, so may not have gone about diagnosing the problem with these devices in as methodical a manner as I could've done.

Do we have anything else using VPN? We certainly do. 20 remote workers VPN into our network and we have 2 PC's on our network supplied by couriers that VPN out to their host servers for parcel despatch and tracking.

As it happens this morning the 1 that was working now isn't, and apparently (I wasn't here to monitor it) it's not worked since early afternoon yesterday.

I'm thinking our only option here is to switch to a different mobile provider. We get a decent signal from O2.

grolschuk

Getting it to work at home would only have been proof that the unit is either fine and it's a network problem at work, or duff and it needs repairing.

Without the passthrough option ticked on the virgin router it would never connect though.

With so many things wanting and trying to connect in and out of the router, anything could be stopping the boxes from connecting.

If you have an account manager, they may be able to suggest something to help, otherwise if you have no signal, then I'd personaly look at moving to something you can get (although in time VF should be mast sharing with o2 across the country) so the signal should be close to the same... But that is no help to you at the moment.

Hi MarkRoper,

The way the Sure Signals were bought would have no impact as there's no difference between them.

Do you see worse performance or a loss of connection with the Sure Signals when the VPN is being used heavily?

That would suggest that the bandwidth needed is being taken so the connection can't be maintained.

The Sure Signal ending 029 connected yesterday at 4:54pm. Is that around the time the connection was lost?

The box ending 928 may be running an older version of the software, so I’ll get that pushed through for you. Leave it plugged in whilst we do this.

Finally for now, when you tested all the boxes with the working socket and cable, did the working one still connect for a time after the others had failed?

Dave

I've no idea when the PC's that VPN out are being used at all, let alone heavily, they're in a completely different part of the building.

The traffic graph on my router shows I've got plenty of spare bandwidth, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm surprised that all the Sure-Signals connected to your network yesterday because I'm pretty sure at least one of them was never plugged in yesterday, but just an acknowledgement that they've connected to your network AT ALL 9 days after starting this thread is a quantum leap forward.

The device ending 029 is the only one that's ever worked with anything approaching reliability, and it stopped at 2pm-ish yesterday afternoon. It might have connected at 4:54pm but it wasn't working yesterday afternoon, hasn't worked at all today, and isn't working as I type this.

All 3 are now plugged in and I can ping them on my network. All 3 have the first 3 lights lit up solid. None of them are providing a 3G signal to any phone anywhere.