You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

3G cell to Sure Signal handover

I understand from a Vodafone moderator reply in a different thread that 3G cell to Sure Signal handover is currently not supported (I have a SS v2).

Is this going to be implemented and rolled out in a firmware update? If yes, how soon?

It is very annoying to come to return to my home and having to toggle flight mode on/off each time (as I have a weak 3G signal in my area, my SS does not take over automatically).

Message 1 of 19 (7,449 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Re: 3G cell to Sure Signal handover

What fone you got mate? My BB hands over without issue
FDH
Message 2 of 19 (7,393 Views)
Nabs
Topics: 246
Ideas: 9
Solutions: 454

The handover will not happen if you are in a call when you arrive home. When your call has termianted your phone should switch over to the SureSignal automatically without you having to do anything.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 3 of 19 (7,389 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note. When coming home from outside, my phone does not pick up the Sure Signal femtocell automatically but stays on the weaker outside macro 3G cell. I have to toggle flight mode on/off, then the phone connects to the SS.

If that is supposed to work, any ideas on what could be wrong (I went through the usual phone hard reset with Vodafone tech support, but to no avail). 

Message 4 of 19 (7,387 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]

Coming home works fine for me - the iPhone4 (on standby) picks up the SS as soon as I'm within range.  No need to toggle flight mode or anything.

Note that "handover"  means changing cell whilst on a call.  Handover *to* the SS whilst on a call doesn't work, and I kinda doubt it ever will.

Message 5 of 19 (7,366 Views)
Wayne
Topics: 58
Solutions: 153

[ Edited ]

Hi hellothere,

The ‘on a call’ part of this handover question also refers to active data connections. So, if your phone has an active data connection when entering your home (for instance an app that runs in the background, connected to the internet) then your phone will not handover to the Sure Signal until this data connection is closed or finishes its action.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 6 of 19 (7,350 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

I have the same problem with a galaxy s2 ive tried deactivating the data mode to connect 2 the SS but doesnt work have to use flight mode also it doesnt happen all the time and it did the same thing with a wee crappy nokia 3g phone I was using.Not trying to handover during a call as Ive no signal for 2 miles roundme apart from the SS. Any ideas ny1 would be a great help its poison having to toogle flight mode

Message 7 of 19 (7,346 Views)

Thanks Wayne. I have Wifi enabled so, as soon as I enter my home Wifi takes over for data.

However, yesterday I spoke to Vodafone level 2 tech support and they did a refresh of my SS (+ backend?) and last night my mobile connected automatically to the SS when coming home.

I will monitor for a few days and report back.

Message 8 of 19 (7,338 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

[ Edited ]

Hi Mogue81,

Can you confirm your Sure Signal serial number for me so we can take a look from this end for you?

As you can see, it's possible a refresh will resolve things for you.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 9 of 19 (7,303 Views)

Dave this has been doing this since may only since i got the s2. just started using a SS2 box the other week there but it still does it but its not all the time it like every 3rd or 4th time i leave and come in the house again but sumdays r better than others. serial number 40120258062. cheers
Message 10 of 19 (7,286 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mogue81,

I have re-synced your Sure Signal for you however I can’t see how this will make any difference as it is to do with the network not handing an active network connection over to the Sure Signal.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 19 (7,231 Views)

James,

Your completely right it didnt make any odds but didnt really think it would as it seems to be something to do with the phone. Have you any suggestions its only been doing it since I started using the galaxy s2 plus it never seems to have a problem connectiing to th sure signal in the morning when I ome in. Any help would be great as I rely on having a mobile connection in the house and dont always checked it when i come in.

Message 12 of 19 (7,149 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

[ Edited ]

handover from macro to femto isn't currently supported so if it works it works, great. If not then airplane mode toggling is the only way to get it to handover

FDH

Message 13 of 19 (7,133 Views)

I have now tested this for a few days after VF level 2 tech support did a refresh of my SS.

Its still not consistently handing over from macro to femto (not being on a call), but if I leave it for a few minutes when returning home it will normally will pick up the SS signal eventually. As a moderator pointed out, apparently handover is limited to when no data connections are active (even when not being on a call).

What I have done is to download an app widget from the Android market place (Network Info widget), showning the cell ID to which the phone is currently connected to. As I know my SS's CID, I can see if the phone has connected or not and force connection by toggeling flight mode if after a few minutes it has not connected.

Message 14 of 19 (7,124 Views)

FelixDaHousecat wrote:

handover from macro to femto isn't currently supported so if it works it works, great. If not then airplane mode toggling is the only way to get it to handover

FDH

As I said earlier (message 5 in this thread), the OP isn't really talking about handover, which means handover during a call, which as you say is unsupported.

Simply coming home with the phone idle isn't handover, and should work fine.

Message 15 of 19 (7,105 Views)

Hi,

I have a HTC One S and I am noticing the same problems. Everytime I get home I have to toggle Airplane mode On/Off inorder to get my phone to switch to the Sure Signal in my house.

I find this really annoying first Vodafone does not provide good coverage in my area despite their coverage tool showing the opposite. So I am forced to pay £50 to improve the signal. Then I am told that in order to use the device that I have payed for I must alter my phone usage habits.

Who is the customer here ?

Message 16 of 19 (6,671 Views)
DaveCD
Topics: 74
Solutions: 87

Hi Annoyed_again

Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome.:smileyhappy:

I am sorry you feel this way, I understand that this extra step is not normally warranted however to ensure that you receive coverage and connect with the Sure Signal it is the workaround we currently have, as mentioned previously the handover is not supported between the two types of cells.

You can check the coverage in your area on our Coverage Checker and if you would like to provide information and feed this back directly to our network team please select the option to Rate Here underneath the map.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 17 of 19 (6,638 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

As I understand it, "handover" to SS *during a call* is not supported. But most people arrive home not on a call, and their phone happily picks up the SS 5-bars 3G signal by itself within a few seconds.

Or at least, my iPhone 4 always does.

Having to toggle airplane mode sounds like a fault.

(perhaps in the phone)

Message 18 of 19 (6,612 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II

I have a samsung galaxy s and for the last year mine has been connecting to my sure signal box without any problems until 7 days ago now i have to switch to airplane mode and back again,this is the same for my wife's galaxy note and my son's s2.so what ever vodafone have done please change it back.
blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 19 of 19 (6,607 Views)