Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Another Sure Signal that has stopped working

leecresswell
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I invested in a Sure Signal V3 and this was working perfectly until sometime near the end of June. Vodafone replaced the unit under warranty, but I am still suffering from the same problem.

The red power light is flashing constantly and the other lights are solid orange.

As we're using a fibre ISP the results from speedtest.net are very good, i.e. 90+ Mbps both download and upload. The ISP is a local provider but uses a backhaul provided by Virgin Media. Internet service is faultess. As the ISP is local I have a direct connection to their sysadmin (unlike VF) and they assure me that no changes have been made to their infrastructure over the time period in question.

My external IP address is 185.111.224.49 and the serial number of the Sure Signal is 42151145374.

The output from tracert is suspicious and could help point to the problem:

C:\>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.domain_not_set.invalid [192.168.1.254]
2 11 ms 4 ms 1 ms 185.111.224.1
3 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 193.26-253-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.253.26.193]
4 12 ms 8 ms 20 ms nrth-lam-3-tenge74-437.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.142.255]
5 15 ms 8 ms 11 ms nrth-core-2b-xe-110-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.106.255.169]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms nrth-ic-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.218]
9 12 ms 10 ms 11 ms m674-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.162]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 12 ms 12 ms 14 ms 84.116.135.46
12 12 ms 16 ms 12 ms 213.46.174.130
13 14 ms 10 ms 10 ms ae32-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.24.126]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\>

This is quite a frustrating problem given that the Sure Signal was working perfectly for an extended period. However, it is effectively a black box and there is no way to self-diagnose issues such as this.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@leecresswell - I've checked your IP address and it needs adding to our whitelist. I've sent the request today, please allow 48 hours to update.

This should rectify the issue you've been having with your Sure Signal.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @leecresswell

Totally appreciate how frustrating this must be especially when the Sure Signal is needed for connectivity. 

This eforum is owned and monitored by Vodafone U.K. We have members of the Vodafone Tech Team who are available to respond and Help where they can. They have the Vodafone logo next to their name. All posts are read by them.

Hang in there and I'm sure they'll be in touch. 

Sure Signal FAQs.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Retired-EricChe
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@leecresswell

The light sequence you've provided usually suggests that the Sure Signal has failed to connect with your local PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet).

In order to correct this, you'll need to contact your service provider and ask them to change the PPPoE to a PPPoA (Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM). 

Once this has been done, let us know and we'll resynchronise the Sure Signal for you.

Hi @EricChester,

Thank you for your inputs, but I'm not sure if I can act upon your advice. PPPoA is most commonly used for broadband over copper (ADSL). However, my ISP provides a fibre connection, and the router (a Genexis DRG739v2) has a direct connection to the ISP network (via VLAN). PPPoA and PPPoE are not relevant.

I checked with the ISP and they have confirmed that the network is set up to pass a full 1500 byte MTU. As the Sure Signal was working previously on the same ISP network, and there have been no changes on either the ISP side or the router (e.g. a firmware update) the problem seems to be with the Sure Signal, or the infrastructure sitting behind it.

As the Sure Signal is an operator-managed black box it's difficult to guess what more can be done on the customer premise side. Do you have any additional suggestions?

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@leecresswell I've resynced your Sure Signal in an attempt to resolve your issue, as your device is showing as it lost connection towards the beginning of July. 

Please allow up to 6 hours for the device to obtain a connection. 

If you're having trouble after this, please let us know and we'll investigate further. 

Hi @Rahim. I waited for more than 6 hours and the problem persists. I also tried a soft reset of the Sure Signal but see the same behaviour. Are there any additional diagnostics I can run from my side that might help diagnose the problem?

@leecresswell

Sorry to hear your Sure Signal isn't working still.

After the re-sync, did you notice a different light sequence at all?

Hi @EricChester. I'm still getting the same light sequence. I have noticed that the box seems to reset itself periodically. In this state the red light is constant, the Internet access light flashes white and the other lights are off. However, after a short period the light sequence reverts to the usual state, with red light flashing and the right 2 lights orange.

@leecresswell - I've checked your IP address and it needs adding to our whitelist. I've sent the request today, please allow 48 hours to update.

This should rectify the issue you've been having with your Sure Signal.

Hi @Charles. I'm contacting you on behalf of the fibre broadband network that @leecresswell uses. We have other customers in a similar situation (their Sure Signal was working and has stopped since switching to us). How do we go about getting Vodafone to place our IP addresses on your white list.