cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone tried wifi calling instead of sure signal?

Speedfriend
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Due to the netowrk connection in my house being so poor, I have being trying to use wifi calling, but it is not a great solution as

The quality is awful with constant sound drop outs and texts don't work.

While it may be my iPhone 6s that is the issue, the fact that I can make wifi calls fine with Skype, Whats App makes me think it is the Vodafone implemntaiton that is the issue. And previously when I was on three, its wifi calls and text app worked fine.

Has anyone else got wifi calling to work or should I spend the £69 to get a Sure Signal (i.e. pay vodafone again just to get the advertised connection signal in my house)? Do they actually work properly? Judging by the comments on here, that seems to be no

10 REPLIES 10

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Speedfriend,

The quality of the calls may be down to the bandwidth received on your phone. It may be worth seeing if you could prioritise this within your router settings.

The SureSignal is a great piece of kit and uses your broadband to create you're own 3G network.

There's a huge number of people using SureSignals successfully, and you can see from our eForum that there's great support (should you experience any issues).

I have a Virgin 100Mbps and a new AC2600 router and usually get 20MBps+ checking my speed. As I said, other Wifi calling works fine, even Google new video calling app works fine, just Vodafone Wifi calling doesn't with every second word not properly audible.

I might have to try Sure Signal, I just can't believe that in the largest city in a first world country, a major network can deliver a signal inside my house properly, when EE delivers me 4G at over 100Mbps.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Speedfriend We haven't recieved any reports in relation to issues with Wi-Fi Calling sound quality. 

Wi-Fi Calling is purely designed to enable calls over your ISP (internet service provider). Therefore, in order for us to rule out any potential issues with your ISP, we'd need you to test your phone in a different location. 

It will need to be a location with similar coverage to the one where you're currently trying to use Wi-Fi Calling, as if your mobile phone detects 2G/3G signal it will connect to the local mast as opposed to using Wi-Fi Calling.

Contrary to Rahim @Speedfriend I have contacted Vodafone about quality of Wi-fi calls more than once in the last year or more. It is mostly that people say I drop out during calls, when I can hear caller fine. Sometimes however, the drop-out and interference is so bad when I try to make a call that I have to switch off and restart the iPhone, which seems to help.  I previously had Sure Signal, which worked quite well, but when the unit went dead after a few years I thought I could rely on Wi-fi calls. I live in a basement flat in Central London and calling without some kind of booster is quite hard. The only advice Vodafone gave me was to contact my ISP, Virgin Media, to see if they could help -  about as maddening and time-consuming  a thing to do as asking Vodafone, I expect, (so I didn't bother). I'm just about to give up and get a new Sure Signal. 

I have come to the simple realisation that Vodafone is just useless. There are countless places across London where I get no signal including in my house. As soon as my contracts ends, I will move my Vodafone contract across to EE which I have on my other phone and is signifcantly better, although the coverage is also not perfect.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sejam2003 You can find out how to purchase a Sure Signal, along with all of the latest information online. 

If you have any questions or need help with anything, please let us know. :Smiling:

redsquirrel
4: Newbie

I have a Sure Signal and it is quite good for every registered phone except mine, which also happens to be the registered owner phone.   It will connect about 25% of the time.  If  I change SIM I spend days trying to get even a connection at all.    Anyone else, just delete them and re-add them and they're up and running again.    The problem is you cannot do that with the registered owner - you have to de-register & re-register the Sure Signal, spend hours on the phone to India, try to convince them that it worked yesterday, it doesn't work today, and no I haven't changed any router settings.

I am currently sitting 2m from my Sure Signal - no connection whatsoever (the standard signal in my area is crap too, the reason I bought the Sure Signal in the first place)

However, my latest phone, Galaxy S7 has wifi calling enabled and for me it works a treat.   I have a good broadband connection, Fibre 80/20 and I am so close to the cabinet I could live in it if it were a bit bigger.   The wifi calling quality is really good for me.   The one problem though, if I get the slightest bit of 3G signal from the normal mast it takes that in preference to the very strong wireless signal.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@redsquirrel

Swapping your SIM card on a regular basis may cause this to happen. Are you now just using the one SIM card?

Please send your Sure Signal serial number to us so we can take a look for you.

@Carly

Sure Signal is 40112437260

Last changed the SIM about November with a new phone, prior to that was about November 2014, again with a new phone.

Tonight,  oddly enough, sitting at the same desk as yesterday, I have a full signal from the Sure Signal