cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Attn: Vodafone Tech Support - Router QoS (Quality of Service) - Please Provide Definitive Details

SteveTomalin
4: Newbie

Dear Vodafone Support,

Could you please provide a definitive list of port numbers and protocols that are used by the Vodafone Sure Signal, Model 1, for the purposes of configuring QoS (Quality of Service) on ADSL routers that support this technology, and then maybe pin it somewhere within the forum.  If this information proves to be generic to all Sure Signal models, it would be useful for you to indicate this also, for the benefit of all Sure Signal users.

From third party sources, I understand the information below applies but, at the very least, I would be grateful if you would confirm this, or provide additional information, should you find it to be incomplete or incorrect in any way:

Sure Signal Ports and Protocols:

Port 8 - TCP/IP
Port 50 - TCP/IP

Port 123 - UDP

Port 500 - UDP
Port 4500 - UDP

It has also been suggested that port TCP port 1723, for PPTP tunnelling, should additionally be included in QoS router configurations for Sure Signal connections.

There currently appears to be very little information on your Sure Signal forum with regard to generic QoS settings for ADSL routers (i.e. settings not specific to certain manufacturers or model).  I have been a Sure Signal user for a number of years now and, as a resident of a relatively rural area where broadband performance is somewhat limited, I previously found it essential to utilise QoS, in order to ensure that the Sure Signal call quality is not ruined by other demands on my broadband connection, particularly upstream data (i.e. my voice being successfully carried to the person I am trying to talk to).

I had been using a somewhat aged Draytek ADSL router, with QoS (Quality of Service) settings configured to give my Vodafone Sure Signal, Version 1, priority over all other internet traffic.  This worked very well.  Sadly, the router finally gave out last week and I now have an up-to-date replacement Draytek Vigor 2850Vn.  Somewhat foolishly, whilst I have a backup of the old router configuration, I do not have screenshots of the QoS configuration, so I am now having to attempt to re-engineer the settings.  So far, I have been unsuccessful, but it is unclear to me as to whether this is attributable to a bug in the firmware of this particular model of router, or simply because I have not configured the router in an equivalent way to the previous one, because I cannot find definitive information on this topic.

I look forward to hearing your response.

Kind Regards,

Steve Tomalin

3 REPLIES 3

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi SteveTomalin

The ports you've listed are correct. You can find further information in our troubleshooting guide here.

Thanks

Sukhi

Hi Sukhi (or anyone on the Tech Team)

I now have a need to configue QoS for a Vodafone Sure Signal, Version 2 unit, which I have acquired for use at a second location, where the Vodafone signal is also unreliable.  Are the port/protocol specifications for the Version 2 Sure Signal the same as the Version 1 Sure Signal?  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Steve Tomalin

Hi Steve,

Yes they are exactly the same :Smiling:

If you need any further assistance let us know.

Thanks,

Matt B