Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Infinity, Sure Signal and Twitter

HalHovland
4: Newbie
Following exchange on Twitter, I'm here to see if you can fix my Sure signal. Its a model 9361 Home Cell V2.2. The new modem is one supplied by BT Openreach two weeks ago and the router is a BT Business Hub 3. It has a WAN static IP. I gave the Sure Signal a static IP on my LAN, and I went through the process of setting up all the ports required by the Sure Signal with a senior BT support person:- 8, 50, 500 (which required switching off a router feature known as BT Wi-Fi), 4500, 123 (NTP) and 1723 (PPTP). Other ports listed in various posts here were not required as they are used by hubs/routers other than BT. BT was able to reach, via the WAN static IP, through the ports to the device. I tried it with the Sure Signal in the DMZ and not in the DMZ. I tried it with the router firewall off and on. It brought a new meaning to Einstein's aphorism that "to keep trying the same thing over and over in the expectation of a different outcome is the definition of madness". I've tried every combination quite a few times, and I'm sure I am not alone. In the end (after several hours on the phone), BT support said it should work and so I asked about PPPoE and MTU. After a moment's embarrassed silence he said, "oh yes, you are on Infinity, I should have realised - it will not work". Even then I put it through more setting changes and tests. I then re-contacted Vodafone support - I thought "what do BT know?", and finally got the statement that Sure Signal, because of MTU and PPPoE/A incompatibilities, will not work with BT Infinity. Now, if you want me to waste any more time, before I do any of the tests, yet again, I would like someone to say that MTU and PPPoE issues can be overcome. Several articles appeared yesterday in the national papers on how good Sure Signal will be for the rural community (of which I am part), and I've Tweeted my findings to all of them in reply. Let me say these are not my conclusions but statements by BT and Vodafone support. Regards, Hal
31 REPLIES 31

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi Hal,

I am not sure if you saw my reply on you other post (keep things in one thread - it makes it easier to follow)

The problem you have is your HH3 not playing ball.

There are many posts documenting people with that router can't get the suresignal to work... So unless there have been any fixes from BT, I think you may be out of luck.

The newer Home Hub 4 and 5's have an option that you can tick, and most of the time that fixes things.

The devices do work on FTTC links with the right router, so the whole Fibre/PPPoE thing can be ignored (yes there are technical reasons, but most routers can handle that)

I have a PlusNet FTTC connection, ditched the OpenReach Modem and PlusNet supplied router, and replaced them both with a Draytek VDSL router.

I am not sure how the Community Sure Signals are going to work, but guess that Vodafone will be providing the internet lines for them, and thus should work really well if enough devices can be dotted around the community.

If you tweeted the papers with your experience on the home based one, hopefully it wasn't too much of an informed moan, as they are completely different items, and setups.

Ellis the forum community manager put a post up about it yesterday, and had an application form for areas that may want to make use of it.

Thanks, grolsshuk.

I did not feel like adding my problem at the end of a long list of the same problem. I thought it would get lost in the noise.

We are on an FTTC connection here, but I dont think FTTC defines a protocol such as PPPoA and PPPoE but given what you say I would presume that PlusNet use PPPoA and hence your Sure signal works.

I did buy a new VDSL router last week after a bit of research and have tried all its settings, but it too will not allow PPPoA when in VDSL mode. I presume, therefore, based on conversations with BT support it will not work.

I do not view this as BT problem as they are rolling out BT Infinity on a national basis as part of the government push for super high speed broadband, and they are conforming to MTU and Ethernet based high speed WAN.

As you say, I am out of luck, but I think it should be known that Sure Signal as sold now, will not work with BT Infinity.

thanks and regards, Hal.

grolschuk

All FTTC is PPPoE as far as I know, so nothing speical about my PlusNet connection.

VDSL2/PPPoE with an MTU of less than 1500, as you say, it can't go that high.

The attached pic is a screen grab of the router info page.

So I am still pretty much convinced it is down to the router being used rather than the line technology.

Hopefully the larger scale comminuty schemes well help your signal problems if your area is selected from the applications.

Can't find the attachment, which I would like to see, please.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi HalHovland,

The information grolschuk has given above and also here is correct.

Please also take a look here.

Thanks,

Gemma

What I have is a BT Business Hub 3 (NOT a Home Hub). This is the very latest version of the Business Hub.

I've set all the required ports (8, 50 and 500[IPSec-IKE], 4500, 123[NTP], and 1723[PPTP]) to link to the Sure Signal.

I've enbled Port Clamping

I've got UPnP enabled (which should remove the need to set up the ports, but they are set up)

I've got the router firewall switched off.

BT were able to see the Sure Signal. Is there any possibility that someone at Vodafone could take a look and see if they can see the Sure Signal here? Maybe resynchronise it to see if that helps?

The Sure Signal is V2. Power light and 2 white indicators.

I've reset it and powered it off ad infinitum. The front panel lights flash for about 4 minutes then go out. The ethernet lights on the back, by the ethernet cable to the hub, flash during the front light flashing, so there is obviously some ethernet activity.

I'm now, hopefully temporarily, using an old UMA enabled Orange phone that I had lying around via the Hub quite successfully. So if we cannot resolve this, I may have to move permanently away from Vodafone and go back to Orange.

Hi HalHovland, 

Please let me know your Sure Signal serial number. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi HalHovland,

Your Sure Signal last made contact with our servers on the 14 July. I'd recommend testing it with a different connection to see if the issue still exists.

Thanks,

Sukhi